Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Knock, clunk, thunk...

Hi all,

My motor has always made a few knocks when going over certain bumbs at certain speeds (so not always noticeable).

The worst was the jarring type noise which *sounded* like it was coming from the sills when you went over rumble strips at about 30.

Anyway, local volvo dealer couldn't find anything on several visits.

More recently I've been getting funny clunking noises every now and again when I go up or down a bump - like a speed bump. Definitely coming from the front of the car now usually either driver or passenger side - never at the same time.

Last night, after one of these noises, I put my hand up behind the wheel and had a bit of a poke around. I felt there was some very slight lateral movement in the driveshaft - could this be part of the problem?

Probably not the cause of the noises from everywhere else though!!!

Anyone have any thoughts what these various noises might be and what I should get checked? Or is it a "feature"?

On a related note: my father has an S80 on sports suspension, a year younger than mine and they've just replaced all the suspension because of knocking noises after about 5 trips to the dealer. It's come back again now!!! So I'm wondering if I'll ever get it sorted??
    2003 S60 T5 SE Geartronic Sport & Winter Packs in Titanium Grey Pearl.
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi mate yours could be your drop links or could be the same as your dads i think that could be strut top mount bushes did the dealer replace when they did suspension cause my dealer didnt on my s80 and it still clunked had to go back and they said they couldnt find it so luckerley for me i picked up the md ov said dealer all the time told him and he made them find it and it was the strut top mount bushes so replaced them all was well hope this helps ifits not these then i dont know what itis sorry good luck

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks.

I did ask them to check the drop links at the last service (Feb). They said there was no problem.

Seeing as the local dealer has been unable to locate the problem with both mine and dad's cars, I might try an independent now it's out of warranty.

The worst thing about things like this is that it's not happening all the time, so it relies on visual inspections if it runs perfect when they test drive it - probably think I'm making it up!

cheers. I'll figure that I'll just mention to the mechanic all the things I think it *might* be and ask them to check. (At the risk of finding more things that need doing probably...!)

cheers.
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Strange things klunks, difficult too pin down.

As for the drive shaft, they do move in and out due to the nature of their design.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Make sure that when your garage checks for movement in anti-roll bar drop links or d-bushes they do it with the vehicle on it's wheels. If they check with the vehicle jacked up it stresses the anti-roll bar and and all it's fittings and then you can't detect any play.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok,

thanks for your help guys.

Now just wondering whether it's worth taking the car in soon or whether to wait till next service (when funds will be more readily available for any shockers!)
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by signia
    Ok,

thanks for your help guys.

Now just wondering whether it's worth taking the car in soon or whether to wait till next service (when funds will be more readily available for any shockers!)
    Out of interest, as I have the same car, How many miles have you done?
    I have just past the 30k mark, but have another 6months warrenty left.
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadly
    Out of interest, as I have the same car, How many miles have you done?
    I have just past the 30k mark, but have another 6months warrenty left.
    Just coming up to 30k and I'm 6 months out of warranty

Was offered a warranty extension for 600 quid for one year. I thought that was a bit pricey, so I didn't bother. Although if I keep getting the car serviced at a volvo dealer, the car goes onto a decreasing scale of warranty cover, so going foward volvo would pay part of things that go wrong. Not sure to what extent though.

does yours have the same problem??
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status

Thanks

Knocking from front

hi just to say I recently bought a V70d5 se from a main dealer (Squire Furneaux of maidenhead)with about 40k on the clock and have taken it back for the same reasons as you . they also were unable to cure the mysterious knocking which comes from the right or left quite randomly. They thought it may be the coil springs becoming 'coilbound' and then pinging back into their cups as the car came down after road humps for example, this however is not the cause . I just wondered did you ever get it sorted, if so could you or anyone else let me know what it could be or is?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by horbs
    hi just to say I recently bought a V70d5 se from a main dealer (Squire Furneaux of maidenhead)with about 40k on the clock and have taken it back for the same reasons as you . they also were unable to cure the mysterious knocking which comes from the right or left quite randomly. They thought it may be the coil springs becoming 'coilbound' and then pinging back into their cups as the car came down after road humps for example, this however is not the cause . I just wondered did you ever get it sorted, if so could you or anyone else let me know what it could be or is?
    Haven't got it sorted yet. Hadn't heard the reason you were given though. I guess it is possible, althought with most things, you can't tell until you change them. And that's a pricey option.

I'm going to try to hold out until the next service and see if they can pick anything up. I'll ask them to check the shocks, drop links, mounts and bushes for any signs of a problem and see what they say.

I've heard that getting suspension bushes changed to polys can make things better.
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Standard suspension shouldn't klunk, if it does, it means something is damaged or worn. Trying to sort the problem by fitting harder bushes isn't really addressing the problem in my book.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got the "sports chassis" whatever that is - as per the sport pack.

I think it's slightly lower - suspension definitely stiffer than standard car.

Although I can't prove that it's the suspension that is clunking, It could be mounts or drop links.. or worn bushes?
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by signia
    I've got the "sports chassis" whatever that is - as per the sport pack.

I think it's slightly lower - suspension definitely stiffer than standard car.

Although I can't prove that it's the suspension that is clunking, It could be mounts or drop links.. or worn bushes?
    It's probably either a strut top bearing or a link rod, if you raised the issue with the dealer whilst the car was under warranty then it should still be covered.

It would be cheaper to take a new warrenty out with http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk and then get it fixed under the warranty.... Just a thought
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Your not on your own, mine has developed a intermittant clunk, which can't be traced, dealer cannot find anything wrong and not worn! Very annoying!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    sounds like spring seat rubbers/and or top mounts

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nop, they have been checked!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi

I also have this noise on my 2003 V70 R... Dealer was unable to pinpoint sound so, car was in with RT Mechanics last week and they stripped out the front suspension to find that the top mounts had cracks in them and also the front shocks both had play in them so, car booked into dealer this week to have both front shocks replaced under warranty. This is fortunate as they are over £400 per side!!!!

You could be suffering with one or both of these problems!

Regards

Ian

This user has no status
    Thanks
    that's what I fear - my car is not under warranty.

RT Mechanics are a bit out of my way, but an independent who's only concern is keeping people happy (unlike some dealers) will probably get my car unless a dealer can match the pricing - which I've heard they do sometimes.

Thanks for the input guys.
    as featured in Taggart!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used to have a knocking noise from the nearside front. The garage couldn't find anything wrong with the linkages, and suspected the inset. Once he'd pulled the strut out, we saw the shaft not only moved up and down, but wobbled from side to side as well.

Hefty bit of labour cost on that one.

It made the noise go away, though.
    2001 C70 Convertible T5 GT

Thread Information