Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Pro's and Cons's of Auto Transmission

Back in 2002 I was a proud owner of a 1996 Volvo 855 T5 'S' spec. Power was rated at 225bhp. I added a few extra mods, like Strut brace, dump valve, 17" Wheels, Stainless Steel Exhaust, Induction kit, MBC, to name a few. The Transmission was a manual, and felt very responsive, without TRACS, but as a result suffered with terrible wheel spin from low speeds. It also was very heavy on front tyre wear, more so on the outer edges. The car was quick, and made all the right noises, but was a little nervous under hard acceleration. The suspension set up was standard, with the addition of a front strut brace, which improoved the situation, but did not eradicate the problem.
    Early this year I took delivery of a Volvo 854 R, Auto version.
    At first I was a little dissapointed that this fab car was an auto, but now having owned it for a while, I have got a different opionion of the car.
    The power delivery is a great deal smoother, and less brutal, but as the car is rated at 240bhp (with it being the R, and Auto- manual's are 250bhp) the car although is quick, some how does not feel as quick as the old car. Whether this is all in the mind, or if it the fact that this car is auto, I'm not sure. On the plus side, the car handles better (I know it has better Suspension than the T5), less tyre wear, less torque steer, and with no strut brace fitted.
    I personally think the ride height, and looks of the R is lots better than the T5and with more toys fitted as standard like TRACS, Climate Air con, Electric memory seats, etc...
    My only question is what would a Manual R be like , compaired to an Auto?
    I now like the Auto-switchable box, ease of driving style, intelligent Cruise control on long journey's, effortless power delivery, less tyre wear.
    But in the same breath miss the raw power and acceleration, noise of the Stainless Exhaust, dump valve working in harmony!!!
    What's your views??????

This user has no status
    Thanks
    you have just started another Auto V Manual war.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well mate , I have had a T5R manual version for over a year now and have recently bought an 850R saloon in Automatic for my wife . I have to say I wish my yellow car was an auto now !!! The power delivery fom auto is refined, it is more comfortable and when in town it is a godsend!! Of course teh manual is a drivers car and sometimes you just cant beat the that when you are pushing the car on but for what i want it for I am definatley going to replace the T5R with an auto. I have a 523 BMW in steptronic and that is a great set up to ( took a bit of stick at the Volvo meet yesterday in it tho !!!LOL ) but the steptronic kinda lets you take control ........so AUto is thumbs up for me !!!

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Absolutely I have a 2001 v70 t5 Geartronic ---Absolutely Brilliant!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Me too, Auto for the Volvo, and round town just fantastic, esp as seem to go nowhere real fast in Westminster, though have to say love driving a manual too, have a Caterham to amuse myslef with, so get the best of both worlds...
    Standard V70 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi I did the same transitionover from a manual and the driving is completely different, The manual as you say drop a gear and go, with the auto you have to bury your foot to the carpet which i never ever did in my manual, just changed gear with the revs when needed,
    try it and if you are still not happy get it mapped
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Comforting views my fellow friends, I am now going to throw a spanner in the works, by introducing 'what if you RICA the R Auto'?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMO
    Comforting views my fellow friends, I am now going to throw a spanner in the works, by introducing 'what if you RICA the R Auto'?
    Then the R Auto will be much faster and slightly more economical.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Manual all the way,cant be doing with auto`s i like to change gear when i want!!,as for the wheelspin problem yes i agree in a manual it can be a nightmare,my green T5 was a pig in the dry and the wet was for ever leaving rubber on the road(standard car all round) but since i have had my purple T5(also a estate) and also manual but running 17`s i have found wheelspin and torque steer have vanished,plus i think it is also down to clutch control

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Here we go again lol

Anyhoo its personal choice what way you go, if you like manual go for one, if you like auto go for one of them

Wayne I drive auto but it changes when I want it to not when it wants to, you just need to know how to drive them properly....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz13
    Here we go again lol

Anyhoo its personal choice what way you go, if you like manual go for one, if you like auto go for one of them

Wayne I drive auto but it changes when I want it to not when it wants to, you just need to know how to drive them properly....
    I am with Fraz, i change gear when i need with the selector too, nice to have the right gear ready for take off, love it driving around London,
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Aint nothing wrong with an auto. I ran an MTE remapped C70 T5 auto for 3 years without a problem.

I think any issues of the transmission being weak would only come to light after serious mods (ie well in excess of 300 bhp) so a stage1 RICA upgrade or similar should not bring any probs.

Add to that the fact that the Volvo auto is actually pretty good then I think its the better option if you dont want to go mad with mods.
    '96 855 T5 auto ...GT30 and everything uprated!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Pro of an Auto - very smooth gear changes, easy to drive, excellent in town

Cons- Not as economical as manual sometimes, makes you a lazy driver (well, maybe just me)
    Vorspung Durch Technik

This user has no status

Thanks
    personal choice auto ricad whooooo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Auto Pros:
    Bliss in traffic jams; No clutches to replace; Left hand free for nose-picking, knee stroking etc; smoother ride

Cons;
    Big things if it goes wrong; less economical; You repeatedly stall a manual when you get back in one cos you forget about the third pedal; no engine braking

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz13
    Here we go again lol

LOL lack of paitence on my behalf is probably half the reason,the other half is i have only driven rover/range rover autos and volvo geartronics

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status
    Eastbourne, East Sussex (home) and Southampton (uni)
    Thanks
    I got a 854 t5 manual running 280, but i find with the suspension set up it doesnt spin up very much at all, even with 16's. I personally think manual all the way, this is partly coz i think im too young for an auto !!!!
    Dave

1995 854 T5 (upsoloute ecu, koni's etc) sold
    1995 855 T5 (rica 304 and lots of other bits) sold
    1994 Subaru Impreza WRX STi v1
    1995 Clio 1.8 RSi (hoping to swap for a t5 at some point)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    90% of everyday situations auto is best. Manual is good as a drivers car but (contravercial) Volvo's aren't really drivers cars.

Get a decent 850 or V70 auto. Give it a bit more power then save up for something really fast like a caterham.

That's the long term Straker plan
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Straker
    Get a decent 850 or V70 auto. Give it a bit more power then save up for something really fast like a caterham.

That's the long term Straker plan
    Hear Hear!

Caterhams fun, though I always seem to want more power.....currently I have 189bhp at the flywheel in a Roadsport SV (long cockpit)........still want more....
    Standard V70 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adriancole
    Hear Hear!

Caterhams fun, though I always seem to want more power.....currently I have 189bhp at the flywheel in a Roadsport SV (long cockpit)........still want more....
    250bhp, you can never have enough!!!!!!
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

Thread Information