Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

spec of new engine

hi im just planning to rebuild my 850 t5 engine and want to know your views??id like a torquey lump rather than high end power.could yous share your views any views??can you tell me what id need to achieve a fairly reliable 330+hp which will do sum track work?is the rods and pistons ok or better uprated?will the head and the intake be capaple of this?i was thinking of either a cosworth manifold or a s60r manifold and either a t19,garrett t38 or a new roller bearing gt30 turbo.with green top injectors.and also what cam would you advise?i was told a 850 glt cam but are there better ones?and finally i presume the managment will be ok just needing mapped?sorry one last thing how good are the intercoolers?i take it id be better running water injection and/or new cooler.many thanks for reading regards barry

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would replace the stock rods anyway, eliminate the one major weakness in the engine and never have to worry about them again!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As far as I'm aware, if you use a Standard engine, with forged rods, and an 'R' manifold you can aim for 330bhp easily enough with standard injectors, I was under the impression that a smaller turbo would be better for low-end tourque though.
    I have trawled the American volvo sites and cannot find anybody using cams other than 850GLT cams as an upgrade.
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i have only found after some research that the prefferd cam is form the 2.5 20v engines

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadly
    I was under the impression that a smaller turbo would be better for low-end tourque though.
    Or you get a ball bearing gt turbo and uprated rods and then run high boost at lower revs which will make plenty of low end torque.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    Or you get a ball bearing gt turbo and uprated rods and then run high boost at lower revs which will make plenty of low end torque.
    Doesn't the T5 then need a boost controller to keep that rained in, otherwise all ya gonna do is spin! - But I guess you will get better pick up due to less lag? or am I talking poo?
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Either boost controller and fiddle with the gain or map it accordingly. Either way, you will get wheelspin as its fwd

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baba850r2006
    hi im just planning to rebuild my 850 t5 engine and want to know your views??id like a torquey lump rather than high end power.could yous share your views any views??can you tell me what id need to achieve a fairly reliable 330+hp which will do sum track work?is the rods and pistons ok or better uprated?will the head and the intake be capaple of this?i was thinking of either a cosworth manifold or a s60r manifold and either a t19,garrett t38 or a new roller bearing gt30 turbo.with green top injectors.and also what cam would you advise?i was told a 850 glt cam but are there better ones?and finally i presume the managment will be ok just needing mapped?sorry one last thing how good are the intercoolers?i take it id be better running water injection and/or new cooler.many thanks for reading regards barry
    If you want a torquey lump, then make sure you get a turbo that spools up very early. Change the rods for something stronger, and that's about all you need. The limiting factor to the max torque you will be able to produce is the onset of knock because it tends to happen at low revs. Obviously you will need to remap to suit.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    If you want a torquey lump, then make sure you get a turbo that spools up very early. Change the rods for something stronger, and that's about all you need. The limiting factor to the max torque you will be able to produce is the onset of knock because it tends to happen at low revs. Obviously you will need to remap to suit.

Adam.
    So basically, basically, exactly what i said above Adam

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    So basically, basically, exactly what i said above Adam
    yes, sorry! missed your second post. Only thing to add is that if it's big low end torque you want, the word "diesel" springs to mind

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes, sorry! missed your second post. Only thing to add is that if it's big low end torque you want, the word "diesel" springs to mind

Adam.
    oh yes D5 power for torque is a deffo,i had a play in 1 the other day and omg how much grunt and the 6 speed manual box was lovely,i could not believe how much torque it had it was excellent

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I test drove a euro3 XC70 '163' on saturday, I was very impressed how much power it DIDN'T have...
    Seemed slow and gutless, I hope they map well.
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I test drove a euro3 XC70 '163' on saturday, I was very impressed how much power it DIDN'T have...
    Seemed slow and gutless, I hope they map well.
    You picked the slowest of the slow to test!!! Should have tried an S60. True, the 163 versions ain't what you call fast, but the 185 Euro 4 versions are good enough in stock form. Fortunately, both tune incredibly well.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You picked the slowest of the slow to test!!! Should have tried an S60. True, the 163 versions ain't what you call fast, but the 185 Euro 4 versions are good enough in stock form. Fortunately, both tune incredibly well.

Adam.
    What's the max you can wheep out of a euro 3 and 4 respectively??? Out of interest?
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What's the max you can wheep out of a euro 3 and 4 respectively??? Out of interest?
    Well, 210 and 226 bhp is what we have for sale, however more is definately possible.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok thanks you guys so you recomend a mixture of s60r manifold uprated rods any makes or links??standard injectors maybe head work.2.5 20v cams and gt turbo with remap.whats the limits of the standard cooler and rad??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There are no limits as such, other than the physical limitations such as the possibilty of the intercooler not being able to hold the boost and therefore cracking under pressure, but that's unlikely unless you are running very big boost. Certainly the radiator isn't an issue.

In terms of power, the limiting factor is really the fuel grade and the turbo itself.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baba850r2006
    ok thanks you guys so you recomend a mixture of s60r manifold uprated rods any makes or links??standard injectors maybe head work.2.5 20v cams and gt turbo with remap.whats the limits of the standard cooler and rad??
    I run a S60 T5 (so I have stronger rods than a 850; If you want high torque at low rpm please get stronger rods because you will bend them with the amount of hp you target) with the following tuning:
    3" ferrita downpipe, ferrita exhaust: Really necessary because it will reduce backpressure which is necessary if you wan't more hp.
    'R' exhaust manifold: I think it works but it might be between the ears. It is however in my opinion not necessary for 330 hp. The japanese style manifold will suffice.
    green injectors: I my opinion you can not get 330 'reliable' HP without these.
    19T 300-70: Possibly not the best turbo to get high HP but it is good value for money and it is a direct fit. I also like the way it delivers lots of torque. If you have plans to get even more hp out of you engine you are better of using an other turbo from the beginning so you don't have to change your downpipe again.
    Bigger intercooler (42mm) This is one of the best upgrades possible especially if you need high boostlevels to get you HP. Without a better IC you really do not want to get to high boost beacuse you will lose power at higer temperatures. Even so I will install Aquamist to get the temperature down even more (and thus making even higher boost levels possible).
    K&N: You need a good airfilter but there are lots of options there. I will install an S60R Airbox next month but there are lots of cheaper options which are as least as good or better.
    Custom Remap: Don't use an 'off the shelve map'. If you spend that much money get a custom map thats suits your car to get the best performance. It really does make a difference. Also only use a good tuner which nows volvo's such as MTE or Rica.

Under bad conditions (high temperature and a small fan) I now have 283 Whp at ~1.25 bar at the dyno. On the road (with more air going in the engine) It will do ~1.35 bar so this would mean a bit more power. So I now come close to the 330 hp you mention

This is my approach but there are lots of other possibilities. I have used mostly 'volvo' parts to keep the original look. If you need any other infomation please pm me.
    2001 S60 T5 - 3" ferrita downpipe - ferrita exhaust - - 'R' exhaust manifold - green injectors - 19T 300-70 - Bigger intercooler (42mm) - MTE custom map - Bilstein shocks - K&N -frontbrakes:320 mm 'police' brake's - Rearbrakes: CTF GroupN discs/Mevius Racing pads - subaru boost meter

Soon to be fitted: S60R Airbox, Aquamist
    got plans for an LSD and spec 3+ clutch

This user has no status
    Thanks
    for the lpt version where can i obtain the con rods and pistons needed or 300 plus, also what head work is neaded, and what sort of money are these parts

alan

Thread Information