Join Today

Thread: adjusting idle?

This user has no status

Harlow, Essex. Drives : An 855 T-5R Gul. To Fit: PCV & 'Stage 0' bits, and a damn good servicing!
    Thanks

adjusting idle?

Can it be done mecahnically? how?

Since replacing my PCV the car is still idling fast, had a good check for air leaks and can't find any, car is holding its revs ok too. My old man suggested the theory that beacuse the airways are cleared from the new PCV, then more air is getting in through the proper channels so it may just need adjusting...

Firstly, is that theory at all plausable?
    And secondly, is the idle controlled mechanically/electronically - ie is the screw stop on the throttle linkage designed to control the idle or is it an ecu feature?.
    Is adjusting the idle as simple as adjusting the screw or not?

Ta,
    Rich

This user has no status
    Thanks
    think everythings governed by the ecu,whats it idling at about 1500 etc.find out how much volvo want to charge for a quick fault code readout.vauxhall charge £30 for a full diagnostic.check the butterflys on its stop and theres slack at the throttle cable,sorry just a few suggestions.
    MONDEO SPORTS FABRICATIONS

Volvo S40 T4 CD Phase 1.
    eibachs,td04-16g(mapped),apexi custom induction,twin custom powerflow,100 cell race cat,twin cold feed,cold fan,17" polished rims
    blitz custom boost gauge,twin piston bov,modified mk3 golf gti alloy upper strut,loadsa uprated silicone hoses,
    millers cfs triple ester 10w/60.BLA BLA BLA..
    gagging for rear end polybushing as its £££££e.

This user has no status

Harlow, Essex. Drives : An 855 T-5R Gul. To Fit: PCV & 'Stage 0' bits, and a damn good servicing!
    Thanks
    cheers, its idling around 13-1400rpm, gonna have a good look at the butterfly but it feels pretty solid on its spring/stop. Has the built in diagnstic tool on the old 850- i could give that a go

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i shouldnt think pcv's will give extra air into the inlet,that would cause an erratic air/fuel mixture and send the ecu into "i dont know" mode.pcv's there for low and high crankcase gases then return to inlet side to be burnt off.on my old cossies i ran a seperate air seperator/oil tank and done away with the standard,but not sure if u can do this to t5's as its all emissions etc.
    let me know how u get on.
    MONDEO SPORTS FABRICATIONS

Volvo S40 T4 CD Phase 1.
    eibachs,td04-16g(mapped),apexi custom induction,twin custom powerflow,100 cell race cat,twin cold feed,cold fan,17" polished rims
    blitz custom boost gauge,twin piston bov,modified mk3 golf gti alloy upper strut,loadsa uprated silicone hoses,
    millers cfs triple ester 10w/60.BLA BLA BLA..
    gagging for rear end polybushing as its £££££e.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Rich, did you take either of the sensors off from the block when u did the pcv swap? Cant remember what the sensors are called but they are only seen when you take the inlet off.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not sure if it was any help Arbee i have a spare TB from my S70 you could see if it makes any difference ?
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    are they the knock sensors? nah dont think I did, did I? arrrgh! lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue
    Not sure if it was any help Arbee i have a spare TB from my S70 you could see if it makes any difference ?
    Cheers Gary, I'd be collecting bits of your car tho lol! - still got to separate them! I will have a proper look at the TB when i get a chance, if i don't resolve it i'll give you a bell but hopefully it wont come to that

Thread Information