Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

V70R AWD 1999 laser blue

Being a bit new to all of this and still searching for a car to buy I have been looking at R AWD's.

There is a 1998 locally with 175,000 which i am mildly nervous about but please let me have your opinions. Will be looking at it on Sunday, by all accounts a very clean car with fvsh just had air con and suspension overhauled. Price tag less than 4k.

Then there is a laser blue 99, nice car 90k for around 7k.

Were all the laser blues the 265bhp model? Is that classed as a II or a III could someone kindly explain to me the progresion of the models and relative pros and cons. The guy selling the laser blue said that colour was only used on that phase of model and they all came in autos.

All suggestions, information and specific answers to the above questions gratefully received.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes the 99 laser blue ones were all auto and had 265hp with a larger turbo, the 19t.

Mine is a 97 and had the 18t before it was changed.

Some people say that there are problems with the awd system on the earlier cars, but all I can say is mine has been spot on and no uneven tyre wear.

Mac

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Also mate, if you do look at the either car check the propshaft up on a lift cos I ve just been quoted £650.00 for a new one!

I have had mine for nearly 2 years and had no bother at all.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that, I will build a picture up slowl.

Another thing I was told is that all the laser blues had twin exhausts, however of two I have been looking at one has two and the other seems to have a cutout outline in the bumper on the left as you look at the rear of the car which is blanked but no pipe apparent. Is this usual? Am I being sold something different if it has only one rear pipe?

If I am clever there should be two piccys here to compare.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmaine
    Thanks for that, I will build a picture up slowl.

Another thing I was told is that all the laser blues had twin exhausts, however of two I have been looking at one has two and the other seems to have a cutout outline in the bumper on the left as you look at the rear of the car which is blanked but no pipe apparent. Is this usual? Am I being sold something different if it has only one rear pipe?

If I am clever there should be two piccys here to compare.
    i like the reg plate on the first 1 but would go for the second car

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Why?

I am still going to look at the older high miler at the weekend to unless someone can convince me not to.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Why?

I am still going to look at the older high miler at the weekend to unless someone can convince me not to.
    i honestly cant answer that but the first one looks nice and shiny but there is something about that second think it is the twin pipes i am a sucker for twin pipes

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thought that might be the answer, they want more dosh for that one but its closer to home and has had the cambelt just done where the other has not. What intervals should the cambelt be done is it 90k?

This user has no status

Thanks

V70 R Awd

Hi

The early V70 R AWD (1997 - 1999) was available with either a 5 speed manual which had an 18T turbo or a 4 speed auto version which had the 16T turbo. Power was 250 BHP and 240 BHP respectively. Both versions have a throttle cable and Motronic 4.4 Management. These cars had a single exhaust outlet with a blank on the left side although there are many aftermarket systems that will use both sides and also custom systems too.

In 1999, the ME7 management was introduced to this range and others too. This is a drive by wire system with no throttle cable. Beware the dreaded ETM failure on these later cars which can prove expensive in the event of failure. The Laser Blue colour was 1st seen at this point but, the manual transmission was dropped and the 4 speed auto with 2.4 engine and 16T turbo was the single option I believe?

In 2000, the final version of the Classic V70 was produced and featured a new 5 speed auto box with the 2.4 engine and 19T turbo. power is 265 BHP on this version. This was the only version that sported twin tailpipes from the factory.

The AWD system CAN be very troublesome if rigourous attention is not paid to uniform tyre treads and rolling circumferences. My car had 2 new transfer boxes and a prop shaft in the time I owned it all due to poor tyre maintenance in a previous life. Very expensive with a total cost of these 3 being around £3,200 all in!!!!!! However, if maintained well, they provide great grip and handling and almost entirely remove torque steer and wheelspin even under the most agressive acceleration!!!

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Ian

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thought that might be the answer, they want more dosh for that one but its closer to home and has had the cambelt just done where the other has not. What intervals should the cambelt be done is it 90k?
    i know on 850`s it is 80k so sounds about right mate,as for having the cambelt done costs vary but are between £150-£350

This user has no status
    Thanks
    oh forgot here`s why about the exhaust thing

This user has no status

Thanks
    All very useful, thankyou everyone. But please keep all observations coming as I am green and need to learn from your experiences to hopefully save myself a bad one.

When I am not lusting after t5r's, 850r's, v70r's I enjoy working on old buildings here is my house I have been working on for the last 2.5 years, it was entirely derilict.

This user has no status

Thanks
    There were 3 phases of R-AWD produced between 1997 and 2000:-

Phase 1 :- were produced in 1997 and 1998 (United Kingdom P - S reg) and were available with either the B5234T-4 (2.3 20V) engine (18T turbo 250bhp/350nm)and 5-speed manual gearbox or the B5234T-6 engine (16T turbo 240bhp/310nm) and 4-speed 3 mode automatic gearbox. Both engines used the Motronic 4.4 engine management system. (0-60 7.3/8.1, 152/143mph)

Phase 2 :- were produced in 1999 (S - T reg) and were only available with the B5234T-8 (2.3 20V) engine (18T turbo 250bhp/310nm) and 4-speed adaptive automatic gearbox. These cars use the ME7 engine management system with fly by wire throttle and variable exhaust camshaft. (0-60 7.8 143mph)

Phase 3 :- were produced in 1999 and early 2000 (V - W reg) and were only available with the B5244RT (2.4 20V) engine (19T turbo 265bhp/350nm) and 5-speed adaptive automatic gearbox. These also use the ME7 engine management system as with the phase 2 cars. Phase III cars were fitted with the latest Volvo Sat Nav system us used up till 2003, as a £2500 option. These cars were the first Volvo's to be fitted with twin exhaust pipes and they also had vented disc's all-round The AWD system was slightly different in these cars in that it had different drive shafts which are supposed to improve reliability (0-60 7.3 152mph)

Trim and spec levels remained virtually un-changed through out the 3 phases. Trim was Leather and Alcantara in either Beige or Grey with aluminium trim on the dash and console (dark wood was an option on phase 1 and 2). On phase 1 cars the steering wheel was also leather/alcantara, but phase 3 had a thicker rimmed leather only wheel. Phase 3 cars had the option of contrasting grey/beige trim. These cars were virtually "fully-loaded" with very few options available (mainly pro-logic, 6 cd changer, sat-nav) as they cost £38000 when new!! Phase 3 front seats had "whips" system fitted and larger side air bags that help protect your chest and head in the event of a crash.

All phases were available with either 16" or 17" wheels in either silver or anthracite finish with temp spare wheel. 17" Alloys carried a £100 premium when fitted from new.

The colours available were I believe as follows :-

Phase 1 :- Saffron, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Regency Red

Phase 2 :- Laser Blue, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Cassis, Classic Red, Dark Olive

Phase 3 :- Laser Blue, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Cassis, Classic Red, Dark Olive

Hope this helps.

By the way, your house looks fantastic, in fact it's so big that by the time you finish it you will be about ready to start again.

Good luck with your decision.

Patrick
    2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue, Phase III Classic 1 of 33

This user has no status
    Thanks
    nice pad

bet that has been a money pit
    1995 854 t5
    40mm lowered
    bilstien shocks
    strut brace [ome] wow what a difference
    poly top mount
    new turbo
    drop links and rod ends
    bonnet wadding removed

RICA power

turob to i/c pipe hose
    bcs hoses
    silicone vac lines (part done)
    new oe wishbones
    k&n panel filter

to do
    paint up v70 r calipers calipers
    R bumper

my vBGarage

This user has no status
    Thanks
    bottom pics you posted is my old car sold this year

link with probs

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t10538-l...-v70r-awd.html

reason box started to play up about 3 months before hand then i let misses drive the car for work and she drove it with a flat rear tyre for about 2 weeks which didnt do it the world of good (havnt ley her borrow mine since) , the turbo return pipe was leaking so after high speed driving it would leak over rear of engine (smell of burning in cabin) car was a risk so got rid, but before all that ran great . also forgot to add front right had a smash, wing, bonnet and bumper.

ps
    i still have the towbar end attachment and a set of 4 tyres for it (the 1 that had a puncture so changed them all )
    ________
    Yamaha Tg77 Specifications
    Last edited by lab-monkey; Wednesday 30th March 2011 at 03:46.

This user has no status

Thanks

car...........

Jon, you forgot to mention the Scottish V70-R we spoke about ealrier in the week

Kevin

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that lab-monkey, how bad was the transfer box? Could it be still limping on now or would it be totally knackered after another 4k miles?
    Do you still have any of the bits you removed?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi
    Transfer box was leaking when i sold it and making a noise at high speed, as for parts i sold them all apart from handbook/wallet and towbar attachment (cost ?250 quid at vovlo just for that part ) which is still in excellant condition only used to tow jetski .
    i also have the full history service sheets from every service from(volvo) plus most of the parts receipts which i took out (only left the service book in car)
    Jay
    ________
    CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am still considering this car it looks great, the current owner seems unaware of the issues had by lab-monkey. However he has only kept the car for 4k miles and a few months so am not sure if he is unhappy with it for just the fuel economy whilst commuting 60 miles a day or more than that. I have spoken to him once on the phone and he seems fairly genuine.

Oh, Chancha sorry I did but am trying to look at cars a bit closer to home first, 400 miles opposed to 40 is a long way.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi
    the garage that sold it on might have fixed it ? if not just get some 1 who knows about them to do a once over before buying

jay
    ________
    Bdsm female

Thread Information