Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Autobox fluid flush and change.

Put my saffy v70r in for an autobox fluid flush and change yesturday. The transmission company is a very small independent set up with a good reputation.
    The car has done 108k miles and the autobox is extremly good,except its a bit slow on change up when cold. Plus the fluid was nearly black. The company obviously stated that autoboxes should be serviced more regularly as preventative maintenance.
    I think most of us realise this point but its one thing that seems to get over looked.
    The gear changing is a lot better now whilst still cold,so i will have the v70tdi box done as soon as i possibly can as this is just coming up to 190k miles.
    The filters cannot be done as the box has to be removed from the engine at a massive cost. This is something i have never done before so i hope this will prove its worth.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I changed my 850 ATF last year, i dont think it had ever been done and my car had covered 100k. Flushed it out with cheap stuff and then filled it with the genuine Volvo stuff. It takes about 6 litres if i remember correctly, so you will need two bottles of Volvo ATF which costs £100. You get 2 litres of fluid left over but you can keep that for another time. It does make a difference as mine was a little slow to take up drive from reverse to drive, and was holding on to the gears a little too long when changing up from cold. After the flush its been fine and these slight problems have gone.
    I dont see why many people are so against T5 autos, i have had both auto and manual T5 850's and the auto is a nicer drive and i swear from my experience that the auto is no slower from 0-100. There are very few occasions where the manual would benefit me driving on the road.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jez.w For This Useful Post:

sen (Friday 4th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I totally agree with you. In the past i have had manual T-5s which definitely have not driven as well as autos..In my opinion auto boxes are a must for large fast cars.(i'm completely converted)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to willi For This Useful Post:

jez.w (Saturday 5th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I love my Auto box on me V70R...it makes it such a nice place to be...Effortless and a godsend in heavy traffic.

Dicky.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Saffy V70R Auto estate
    --------------------------------------------------

This user has no status

Thanks
    Full flush is about 12 litres (inc cooler etc) I did it with about 11 1/2 litres.

With 2 people, a couple of 2 litre Jugs, and a small funnel, it's dead easy to do, and takes less than 20 mins

(drain from bottom of gearbox, refit plug/top up with whats removed, then flush through top cooler hose)
    Last edited by cookie; Friday 4th September 2009 at 23:57.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

jez.w (Saturday 5th September 2009),willi (Saturday 5th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Would you use volvo atf or a good equivalent??? Because i can only assume that the company i used didnt use volvo atf. Does it really make a difference??

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willi View Post
    Would you use volvo atf or a good equivalent??? Because i can only assume that the company i used didnt use volvo atf. Does it really make a difference??

I used genuine Volvo, apparently others are Hit and Miss, and apparently IIRC Comma can seriously shorten the life of you gearbox.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

willi (Saturday 5th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willi View Post
    Put my saffy v70r in for an autobox fluid flush and change yesturday. The transmission company is a very small independent set up with a good reputation.
    This is my next job on my V70R. Had a quote from Stratstones for £700 for this job How much did you pay for this, and which company did you use.

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC1501 View Post
    This is my next job on my V70R. Had a quote from Stratstones for £700 for this job How much did you pay for this, and which company did you use.

Do it yourself

Its about 120 quid delivered for 12 litres of fluid and the clip you need to replace on the top cooler hose (could probably be reused, but for risk of it breaking after refitting IMHO aint worth it), 2 2ltr Jugs (75p from wilkinsons, and funnel set (99p from wilkinsons)

there's several write ups on how to do it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had a quote from fawcetts volvo, they said a fluid flush and change would be £271 (no filter change because the cost of splitting the box from the engine would be horrific). The company i used was B K Transmissions of Basingstoke. They charged me £80 + vat, infact i used them 10 years ago and it was £75 + vat then.
    Unfortunately i'm not that confident enough to do it myself,i do most other things but never had a go with an Autobox.
    I know the company are very thorough with the work they do,but i'm still not convinced about a non volvo fluid.
    I will see how she runs over the next week....
    Last edited by willi; Monday 7th September 2009 at 17:15.

Thread Information