Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

2003 V70R advise please

I've had my V70R for 2 weeks now & really do like it, just put 1800 miles on it last week going down through France, cruises well on the motorways. In the manual it says run 35psi all round on the tyres but i have found that the car skips badly over manholes covers & pot holes,quite bad if cornering hard & you hit an uneven manhole cover,scary infact. What do you peeps on here with this model run pressure wise. Its got the 235/40/18 tyres.

What is the best oil to use for this engine

also found that their are quite a few flat spots when accelerating hard,still pulls very well though.

The worst thing is that the steering lock (turning circle) is the worst i've ever come across which can be a right pain at times.

Cheers Simon.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Simon, i run 40 psi in my 225/35/18 if that is any help, i too found 36 psi was not enough for the tyres,
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Siam, How does that feel on big potholes and other lumpy bits?

This user has no status
    Thanks

V70r

Hi Simon

As regards your tyre problems what make of tyres does the car have ?
    I would run them at 38-40 it may be worth trying a few different pressures.

As for the flat spots i would make sure your car is up to date with all software updates from volvo if you have a friendly dealer near you they can check for you,from memory there are about 15-20 different updates the car could have.

The turning circle is a real problem with these cars just how volvo decided
    to design the cars !!!

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status

Thanks
    The turning circle cant be altered due to the safety built into the cars, the engine has to be mounted where it is and unfortunately that between the fron wheels, and as the R's probably have the 18' wheels that just adds to the problem.

With regards to the skipping issue, take it to a main dealer and get the software updates done on the suspension, this is a common problem caused by the suspension and the AWD system and was a major problem on the first cars but the software has ironed it out but it still happens slightly.

Power should be smooth throughout so again take it to a dealer and get the software updated or get it updated from an independant company for a bit more power.
    04 S40 1.9D 115Bhp Sport
    00 BMW 325i Cabrio
    07 Monaro VXR 500
    03 Porsche Boxster 2.7

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi again simon i ment to say the best oils you can use in your car are either Mobil 1 motorsport 15W-50 or Castrol RS 15-50 be warned that both mobil 1 and Castrol RS do other grades just check the cans .

Russ
    LOOK at our project :

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS
    Hi again simon i ment to say the best oils you can use in your car are either Mobil 1 motorsport 15W-50 or Castrol RS 15-50 be warned that both mobil 1 and Castrol RS do other grades just check the cans .

Russ
    Hi Russ.
    Why do you recomment the 15-50 ? Most people I talk to say fully synth 10-40. Just interested in your opinion.

Ac.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    To correct my ££££ up i ment to put Castrol rs 10/60 or mobil 1 motorsport 15/50 the castrol is what we normally keep stock of i have always used it never had a problem
    LOOK at our project :

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simonc
    I've had my V70R for 2 weeks now & really do like it, just put 1800 miles on it last week going down through France, cruises well on the motorways. In the manual it says run 35psi all round on the tyres but i have found that the car skips badly over manholes covers & pot holes,quite bad if cornering hard & you hit an uneven manhole cover,scary infact. What do you peeps on here with this model run pressure wise. Its got the 235/40/18 tyres.

What is the best oil to use for this engine

also found that their are quite a few flat spots when accelerating hard,still pulls very well though.

The worst thing is that the steering lock (turning circle) is the worst i've ever come across which can be a right pain at times.

Cheers Simon.
    Hi Simon... I also have a 2003 V70 R. Nice car I have to say but, I have also noticed some of the issues you report...

On the handling issue, as others have said, make sure all the software is up to date. One thing to note is that when the software for the suspension module is done, the headlights are switched on when calibration takes place or else they reset and you can't see a bloody thing at night... I know 'cos it happened to mine! Also, there is a TechNote link I found on www.v70r.com about stiffer bushes on the rear suspension for these cars. This is:

TNN60-08-2005-03-23
    DESCRIPTION: Under certain conditions while driving on curved roads over uneven road surfaces a customer may complain about handling properties. In some cases the customer may complain about a sidestepping sensation from the rear of the vehicle. A new control arm bushing has been introduced in production from the chassis number listed below.

Type Engine code Chassis #
    384 52 - 476762
    285 52 - 507989

SERVICE: If a customer should complain about this condition and the vehicle is below the listed chassis number the rear control arm bushings should be replaced using PN 30748437. Use the instructions listed in VIDA / VADIS remove and replace the lower rear inner control arm bushings.

Note: The total rear toe should be set to 0.16 +/- 0.1 degrees.

On the acceleration issue, check plugs as these are left until 36,000 mile service to be changes and also there is a link to Swedespeed below which talks about the boost control valve being a weak point on these cars and can cause flat spots in performance. Also check the ETM body is very clean!

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=63274

As for the turning circle. yes, it's dire but, the rest of the car makes up for it in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Ian

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Simon if you decide to use Castrol RS 10w/60 JC Motorsport sells it at £20 for 4 litres, he will be at Donington for National day.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, i didn't realise you could program the suspension ! Roughly how long does it take to have the updates done, is it like 30 mins while you wait ?

Thanks again

Simon.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    simon- oil is recommended to be castrol r tec . fully synthetic special oil. 5w40 i think. if wrong viscosity is used and something like the turbo goes they send back a sample with the old part and the claim could be rejected.
    speak to your local dealer to confirm the correct viscosity, my mind's gone blank!!!
    now : 850 2.5 auto

Ex : T4 with NOS on board

This user has no status

Thanks
    my dealer says 0w40, mobile 1, type stuff, works fine in my r

concerning the 15/50 oil, thats better for older engines, to thick for the R engine

u will improve your 4c sidehop, by putting on new tyres, ones with a softer sidewall, the pzero's are very hard, also if u run with 32 psi in the back tyres, that will also help, the more air u put into them the worse the sidehop is.

the acceleration issue - i bet u a tenner its the boost control soloid causing issues, cheap enough to change, easy to do yourself, its right next to airfilter box.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I remember reading somewhere about the oil castrol r tec is to be used,thanks .
    Tyres, it had 4 brand new pirelli p zero tyres fitted when i bought it, was running about 32psi all round & decided to check the handbook & increase them to the recommend 35 psi but yes the side step is worse with 35psi & more noticeable from the rear of the car, will try dropping the pressures a bit back to 31-32 psi in the rear.

Regards the flat spots, its more noticeable when foot flat to the floor & taking it to the rev limit really bad flt spots as you accelerate (though the wife can't notice it !), i'm used to my Cossie track car which has big injectors & dumps the fuel in with no flat spots. What makes you think it might be the boost soleniod is it common to fail, do you know how much they are , my car has a volvo warranty but if its just cheap i'll buy one & fit it.

Thanks Simon.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ask for the latest ecm upgrade at the dealers for the flatspot. best place to start . personally i wouldnt fit anything until this is done .
    now : 850 2.5 auto

Ex : T4 with NOS on board

This user has no status

Thanks
    i think it says use castrol on the oil cap! lol, sounds like a marketing thing going on there, with a oil company

u have just explained exactly the syptoms my r had, also its a common faliure, i think they are approx £50, could be cheaper, but if u have a volvo warrenty, tell them to fix it, they can hook it up the the computer, and work out its not working right.

the "swedespeed R forum" is a good place to find out more info, huge amount of new style R cars owners there

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madness
    ask for the latest ecm upgrade at the dealers for the flatspot. best place to start . personally i wouldnt fit anything until this is done .
    thats a known issue aswell, worth doing, but this ecu update only deals with one flatspot at about 3000rpm approx, wont fix the higher rpm flat spots, which are being caused by a faulty boost control soloid, i know this cos my r has had all these problems and more!, and i tryed fixing the problem with the ecu update, but no joy, until i got a new boost soloid, then it fixed it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would strongly recommend you don't use any 0-40 mobil or any zero numbered oils it is just to thin.
    LOOK at our project :

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS
    I would strongly recommend you don't use any 0-40 mobil or any zero numbered oils it is just to thin.
    the first number indicates viscosity (flowability) at initial start-up, when the engine is bone cold and bone dry. Bone cold/dry start-up is when the MAJORITY of engine wear occurs. It takes a few seconds for the oil to flow and pressure to build. During these seconds, you have metal against metal with no real oil barrier. The 0 and 5w oils flow most quickly and limit a great deal of wear on the motor during start-up as they flow around the motor much quicker than thicker oils. This not just a cold weather thing. Any motor will benefit from quicker flowability at cold start-up.

Once the motor warms-up, an 0w-40 oil is SUPPOSED to behave like a 40 viscosity oil. Thus you get the best of both worlds. Nice flowability at cold start-up and nice viscosity when the motor is warm and you want to beat on it.

correct me if im wrong?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Took my car to the Volvo main dealer today & had the software updates done on the suspension & engine ecu, both accepted the new software so the tech told me that they had not been updated at all in the past so wasn't a wasted visit. He said you won't feel any difference straight away as it takes a few miles for it to adapt to the new updates, seems a bit strange to me but what do you think ?

Simon.

Thread Information