Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

notchy autobox change at slow speed....I am stumped.....head scratching.......

After getting the new lower control arm fitted to the 855 T5, the car still goes thump/clonk into second at slow speed (slow moving traffic), after taking my foot off the gas to put my foot on the brake! But it doesn't do it at higher speeds (or should I say not as often, as this involves stamping on the gas-changedown and whehey!), so I am stumped as the gearbox seems to work fine sometimes and not so fine at others. It doesn't seem like backlash in the gearbox as it's fine at startup, just as it gets warmer it starts to happen? Seems like a 'torque lockup' or something problem??????

I have noticed at startup it revs to 2000ish and drops slowly back to normal idle.

I have got to change the thermostat as this is doesn't sit at 3'oclock as supposed to, maybe this has something to do with it, not cooling the autobox efficiently?

Could it be engine mounts? The top one (the usual one) has been changed, but I know there are a couple more. Are there bushes on the subframe? Is there any gearbox mounts?

Any pointers would be a help. I am stumped!

Just thought do 95 model autoboxes have a kickdown cable as well a throttle cable? My old Opel Monza had a throttle and kickdown cable (never adjusted properly so violent gearchanges galore!)
    Last edited by Babybadger; Monday 31st July 2006 at 18:36.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have you tried changing the transmission fluid?

I've noticed on mine that the changes are much smoother with fresh fluid in the box.
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinr
    Have you tried changing the transmission fluid?

I've noticed on mine that the changes are much smoother with fresh fluid in the box.
    Thanks Martinr for that, but that was done in February (I think, definitely at the start of th year)and it still had the same symptoms then, although the colour is still red it doesn't smell its usual sweetish smell, so maybe due another flush eventually.
    Last edited by Babybadger; Tuesday 1st August 2006 at 11:00.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Could it be drop links? Do they make clonky noises?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When mine were done this was most noticeable when going over speed bumps and the like. Clatter more than a bump.

Have you checked if they are loose? Jack it up and see, have to take weight off first.

Also worth checking suspension top mounts (various clunks particularly when manouvering), ball joints (most noticeable on mine by the way the car went all unstable in bends ) CV's (knock on lock is the usual tell tale), bushes etc.

If it happens when the gears change check the engine mounts as well and any stabilisers.

That should keep you occupied for a while
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinr
    When mine were done this was most noticeable when going over speed bumps and the like. Clatter more than a bump.

Have you checked if they are loose? Jack it up and see, have to take weight off first.

Also worth checking suspension top mounts (various clunks particularly when manouvering), ball joints (most noticeable on mine by the way the car went all unstable in bends ) CV's (knock on lock is the usual tell tale), bushes etc.

If it happens when the gears change check the engine mounts as well and any stabilisers.

That should keep you occupied for a while

I agree with Martinr. Clonking noises say something suspensiony loose to me. however you say the engine reves to 2K on start up. i don't think mine does (will check tonight). Have you checked for any fault codes?
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Straker
    I agree with Martinr. Clonking noises say something suspensiony loose to me. however you say the engine reves to 2K on start up. i don't think mine does (will check tonight). Have you checked for any fault codes?
    Haven't checked fault codes but will do, does anyone know which port to check auto box? i.e. A? or B? , but I suspect you guys may be right on the suspension or engine mount suggestion. The gearbox still changes smoothly if not nailed to the floor.

Thread Information