Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

gearbox oil change

im going to change the oil in my gearbox as it is playing up jerky and not changing correctly and i have noticed it is a brown colour and has a burnt smell is there anything i need to know or is it reasonably straight forward any tips would be helpfull

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickys60t5
    im going to change the oil in my gearbox as it is playing up jerky and not changing correctly and i have noticed it is a brown colour and has a burnt smell is there anything i need to know or is it reasonably straight forward any tips would be helpfull
    hi...

from your description, i get that it is a geartronic S60 T5 right mate?

well, volvo says the gearbox oil is not to be changed, unless it is "seriously worn out" due to bad use. but i guess what you described should qualify as a "seriously worn out" gearbox oil... but if you go to an authorized dealer i don't know what they will tell you...

when i wanted to change my gearbox oil just for the heck of it, the authorized dealer told me that once this oil was changed, the geartronic tranny was almost certain to go problematic and that volvo intended this fluid to outlast the car. and that it was never to be changed unless it really really has to be... this is how they talked me out of changing the gearbox oil...

but now after a few mods, there is certainly more stress on the tranny. in fact i'm kind of feeling that my gearshifts used to be smoother before and they feel kind of rough lately... also when i put it in reverse, it takes like half a second for it to engage and makes a small "trak" sound when it does.

so i guess we're in a similar situation.

pls let me know how it works out...
    Serdar
    2001 S60 T5 GearTronic - JR filter - 3" downpipe - no cat - custom superchip @ 17.5 psi

Thread Information