Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

ex police question

Why is a 54 plate explod t5 with 60k miles on the clock at least 10k lower than what you would pay for on the forecourt.

Surely if you were to get it painted properley including engine bay and get the interior up to spec, would this really cost you 10k to do?

a friend has seen a couple of explods (one on ebay a salvage for 2.8k) and even repairing it would only cost him just over 2k, leaving one hell of a motor for 5 grand.

thoughts on this appreciated.

Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    I agree that ex-plods are very often a bargain. 60k is very low mileage for an ex-plod.
    My own ex-plod, a 2001 phase-2 V70 in silver cost me £4k 18 months ago. The suspension was very worn so I had most components replaced & upgraded - cost nearly £1k. A nearly-new black leather interior cost me £400. I've probably spent a further £300 on CD player, 17" alloys and miscellaneous.
    So a total of less than £6k compared to a dealer's forecourt price of £10-11k. Go figure.
    And the car has been perfectly reliable since the day I drove it home.

Ex-plod's can be a bit of a lottery and they certainly aren't treated as someone's pride and joy when working. Howvever, most people who have actually had one are very happy and would agree that they're definitely a bargain.
    Robb
    Silver 2001 V70 T5 ex-plod
    Eibach lowered springs, Monroe Reflex shocks; 17" Almathea's shod with P6000's (eBay £50 net); Black leather interior (eBay £410)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I paid, 4500 for an ex plod 02 plate v70p2 and so far it has only had a new slave cylinder on the clutch which was covered by warranty, and it had 116k miles on the clock. belting motor, by the time i have got my stage 2 and full exhaust and possible respray done,(different colour) its still cheaper than one ona forecourt that aint ex plod!!
    DONT EVER JUDGE ME

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akky
    Why is a 54 plate explod t5 with 60k miles on the clock at least 10k lower than what you would pay for on the forecourt.

Surely if you were to get it painted properley including engine bay and get the interior up to spec, would this really cost you 10k to do?

a friend has seen a couple of explods (one on ebay a salvage for 2.8k) and even repairing it would only cost him just over 2k, leaving one hell of a motor for 5 grand.

thoughts on this appreciated.

Steve
    Because most of them have been ragged to death. Quetsion to ask yourself is why would the police force get rid of the car at 60K when most are got rid of around the 100K mark?

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another thing to bear in mind, it will always have the "ex-police" stigma so whilst it will be a bargain for you to buy in the first place it will also continue to depreciate quicker. It will always have high miles that puts the average buyer off, doesn't have all the toys, which a large proportion of the "volvo buyer" is looking for.

When all said and done its an opportunity to buy a much newer car on a budget

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    Because most of them have been ragged to death. Quetsion to ask yourself is why would the police force get rid of the car at 60K when most are got rid of around the 100K mark?

Adam.
    Given the way most people on here drive them i.e. number of Nips issued...
    They should feel right at home
    The police force do occasionally get rid of cars earlier than they normally would for various reasons.
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    When all said and done its an opportunity to buy a much newer car on a budget
    I've got an ex-plod V70 T5 Phase 2 and got it for £3800 with tints and Moppy is quite right in my case. I'm on a very tight budget and wanted to do some work myself. Nothing major but more cosmetic touches. The fact that the interior is rough allows me to do this without worrying about ballsing it all up.

Saying that though it's in the garage (under warranty) cos it was having oil pressure problems. Picking it up this afternoon though

I've missed my baby!

Cheers

Cue

X Reg T5 2.3 SE Auto Estate - Signature courtesy of VikingT5

This user has no status

Thanks
    The one with 60K on the clock is a salvage vehicle which has extensive front end damage .

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I've said this many times before. Buying ex-plod is a lottery and I believe that the odds (particularly for new to Volvo/ T5 peeps) are stacked against you.
    Specs are generally poor.
    Holes in roofs and missing radios are common
    They are worked hard by the plod and histories can be difficult to disclose
    Re-selling is difficult too for the reasons MrsMopp pointed out.
    Initial outlay is low for the year but it is generally found that restoration is more expensive.

Go in with eyes wide open and with this in mind. I personally wouldnt buy one but if you want the younger car for little dough then maybe, just maybe (but not recommended) you can buy one. If I absolutely had to I would buy one 2nd owner after the police. That way the first person will probably have sorted most of the faults (possibly)
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm begining to feel like those of us with ex-plod are 2nd class citizens

Cheers

Cue

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I wouldnt worry mate, people have opinions about certain cars etc, thats fine, but at least we all know the c70 is better at handbrake turns!!
    At the end of the day, its each to there own,and I love my ex plod, for being explod, i know it aint gonna be show room quality, but for 5 grand, no car is, and its still one of the later volvos, with the later technology, 250 bhp engine etc........ It aint what you got its the way you drive it, (if you can handle the power that is)
    DONT EVER JUDGE ME

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Plus - The kids love the fact it's ex-plod, they've told all their mates they have a fast police car LOL. Also, if I had something shiny, buffed and polished straight from the dealer I don't think I'd risk the 'fun' I've been having with mine or be able to chuck stuff in the back for the tip like I do. It's like having a top of the range stereo and not being able to afford any CD's!

But I do accept that there are downsides, like mine still being in the garage, but hey - all cars breakdown sometime. (I need a breakdown smiley adding?!?)

Cheers

Cue

This user has no status
    Thanks
    LMAO @ Don's new Sig

Cue

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cueball_MOB
    Plus - The kids love the fact it's ex-plod, they've told all their mates they have a fast police car LOL.
    Lol. My kids are exactly the same.

Ex-plods are not for everyone. If, like Wobbly, your main hobby is polishing your pride & joy, then an ex-working car is never going to make the grade.

I'm not convinced that police cars are "lower spec". Mine has ALL the safety features, the most advanced traction control option and uprated brakes. Plus all the normal stuff like air-conditioning.
    I had to install a CD player and I chose to swap the cloth interior for a leather one (cheap and easy to do). There's no cruise-control or heated seats - do I care?

In buying a ex-plod car, I got a modern, comfortable, high-performance, very versatile family car for the price of a crappy Ford Focus. And the kids love it!
    Robb
    Eibach lowered springs, Monroe Reflex shocks; 17" Almathea's shod with P6000's (eBay £50 net); Black leather interior (eBay £410)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm an Explod driver, 2001, £4650 with tints and it even has a stereo.

From a 1.6 astra about 90bhp to a 250bhp fun bus with plenty of leg room and as massive boot is enough luxury for me.

Mods include 2 magnetic ariels at the rear of the car. Now i spend my journey to and from work traveling at between 70 - 80mph and watching 95% of people come almost along side, then pull in behind and sit there.

It makes me laugh, and also makes getting out of bed in morning worth it when you pull out to the 3rd lane, excelerate and 5 cars follow in a convoy and then pull in again when i slow down.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts

Cheers

Cue
    That saddens me if you think that - that was not my intention. As long as you are aware of the risks then who am I to stop you. I personally dont favour them but that is only my opinion.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lol.
    I have Volvo sun blinds on the rear passenger windows to protect my young sons from the sun but it also means other traffic can't see them. Sometimes I deliberately wear a white shirt, wait for someone to overtake quickly then pull-out behind them. The kids are in the back going "weeooo, weeooo" and the poor sucker in front ****s himself(I particular target Porsche drivers). Hilarious.
    I hadn't realised Volvo's could be so much fun.
    Robb

This user has no status
    Thanks
    And here was me thinking it was my party trick! Such fun, esp with chavs in saxos.

It all started when I once had some blue pipe insulation on the crossbars on the roof rack for my bike, hadn't got round to taking it off and wondered why everyone was behaving them selves!

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Cheers

Cue
    not second class citizens, but its no secret that the ex police cars are generally bargains for a reason. they are usually well serviced, but as said, theres no denying that they are a low spec and will have a hard driven high mileage, and most tend to have had body repairs at some stage, most i know of down the police force we deal with have had multiple accidents in their service, though there wouldnt really be any record of this sort of thing i wouldn't have thought. they are a low spec because the police buy them for a massive discount compared to what joe public would be able to buy them for.
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightonBreezy
    Lol. My kids are exactly the same.

Ex-plods are not for everyone. If, like Wobbly, your main hobby is polishing your pride & joy, then an ex-working car is never going to make the grade.

I'm not convinced that police cars are "lower spec". Mine has ALL the safety features, the most advanced traction control option and uprated brakes. Plus all the normal stuff like air-conditioning.
    I had to install a CD player and I chose to swap the cloth interior for a leather one (cheap and easy to do). There's no cruise-control or heated seats - do I care?

In buying a ex-plod car, I got a modern, comfortable, high-performance, very versatile family car for the price of a crappy Ford Focus. And the kids love it!
    i was talking with the fleet manager of Surrey police today and the p2 v70's like all marked police cars have to be approved by the home office. Due to the amount of cars that volvo produce for the u.k police forces they build them to a home office spec. Its the same with the vectras and omegas ect. He was also telling me that they quite often get rid of cars prior to their working millage limit for many reasons. Most of the reasons being body work. If the car has had a hard slap during a TPAC for example, then it will be repaired and moved on.
    Not sure how true this is but apparently the T5, are purchased for 8k plus the VAT. I will have a new one please..........

TM24

Thread Information