Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Help! Which air filter

Hi all just got my ecu back from upsolute and what a diffrence.
    Now my next step is a air filter but i wanted to know the best to go with for more bhp.
    ie:panel or cone and which brand
    cheers ben

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    The safe bet is ITG. They seem to work well for a lot of people (me included).
    Once you've got bored of that and you fancy a bit of DIY, you could move the battery and build youself a cold air box for a cone filter.

To be honest I think you could go with any high performance/ high flow filter to give you that little bit more you're looking for....

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ITG seems to be the filter of choice amongst Volvo owners, recently put one in mine - thank you T5SLAVE, I believe K & N is as good and STRAKER had one for sale - worth PM'ing him to see if he still has it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the help got myself a itg cone just need some ideas for the cold air feed now but sounds GREAT

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m448gvk
    Thanks for the help got myself a itg cone just need some ideas for the cold air feed now but sounds GREAT
    Wait a few days (maybe longer?!) n I'll b postin up pics of my new cone setup, the base of the cone is around 7" across! It should b faberlicious n hopefully give ya some ideas of what's posible if u r willing 2 move the battery etc (as Judge has already stated) 2b honest tho the ITG's r great bits o kit if u don't feel the need 2b too OTT!

Here's a link that might interest ya m8...

http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Have fun wi' it all m8

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I can throw another one in the hat to make things interesting!

I use a Pipercross drop-in filter with the standard box. I have however made some internal mods to the box using a dremel to decrease the distance the needs to get through to the MAF. I then added a 3" cold air feed from the brake vent in the bumper directly onto the stock air-box.

IMHO, the stock system is as good as you need it, unless you want the noise. I found with this set up that I can hear the spool up sooooo much more and the CBV is not shy of a 'flutter' when using WOT. I also have a longer boost at higher revs.
    FOR SALE
    1997 V70R, Manual, 2wd, Saffron, 101k, running @ 282.4bhp, Stage '0', 18T, Longlife Custom 2.5" Dual Cat-back Exhaust, Pipercross Filter, Custom 3" Air intake, MBC (14psi/0.97bar), Poly Top Bush and Colour Coded Engine covers, Carbon lip spoiler, Anthracite 17" Comets, Custom Grill, Removed H'light Wipers and 'plugged', New Front Shocks and Mounts by HLM/VT

Ren's performancevolvoworld.com

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had an ITG drop infilter in my car but gets a bit saggy so I changed to an K&N drop infilter. I did however notice that the 'new' ITG also have wire netting to support. In general a foam filter holds more oil than a cotton one with a bigger change of failure of the MAF however if you don't overdo it with your oil this should not be a problem.

What car do you have? You can have my ITG for free (just the costs of post).
    2001 S60 T5 - 3" ferrita downpipe - ferrita exhaust - - 'R' exhaust manifold - green injectors - 19T 300-70 - Bigger intercooler (42mm) - MTE custom map - Bilstein shocks - K&N -frontbrakes:320 mm 'police' brake's - Rearbrakes: CTF GroupN discs/Mevius Racing pads - subaru boost meter

Soon to be fitted: S60R Airbox, Aquamist
    got plans for an LSD and spec 3+ clutch

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd go for the Ren mod - only thing stopping me was the lack of brake vents on the C70, doh.

You can go one step further and pop into Wickes to get a 100m round to letterbox shape adaptor, spray it black and cable tie it to the vent mesh.

Chris
    Merc 190E 2.0 Auto

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers Chris.

I left the original feed in the grill just to let the air flow under the bonnet. Every little helps, as they say.
    FOR SALE
    1997 V70R, Manual, 2wd, Saffron, 101k, running @ 282.4bhp, Stage '0', 18T, Longlife Custom 2.5" Dual Cat-back Exhaust, Pipercross Filter, Custom 3" Air intake, MBC (14psi/0.97bar), Poly Top Bush and Colour Coded Engine covers, Carbon lip spoiler, Anthracite 17" Comets, Custom Grill, Removed H'light Wipers and 'plugged', New Front Shocks and Mounts by HLM/VT

Ren's performancevolvoworld.com

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvos60t5
    I had an ITG drop infilter in my car but gets a bit saggy so I changed to an K&N drop infilter. I did however notice that the 'new' ITG also have wire netting to support. In general a foam filter holds more oil than a cotton one with a bigger change of failure of the MAF however if you don't overdo it with your oil this should not be a problem.

What car do you have? You can have my ITG for free (just the costs of post).
    I could try it out in mine as it feels like it has lost power. Do u have a paypal account and ill pay postage cheers ben

This user has no status

Thanks
    i think a best bet is itg a lot of the people that have them like itg

This user has no status
    Thanks
    AFAIK ITG has a benefit over K&N in that it doesn't have the possibility of coating the MAF in any oils the filter uses. I've had a K&N for 15k with no issues relating to it. Got it on the basis of "never have to worry about that again" unlike paper filters.
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I got a replacement K&N pannel filter fo sale if anyone is interested. Send us a PM if you are.
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m448gvk
    I could try it out in mine as it feels like it has lost power. Do u have a paypal account and ill pay postage cheers ben
    sorry for the late reply. I did not keep track of this thread. Sent me your postalcode by pm. I will check the costs. Maybe the costs of the post are so low I will just sent it off then.

Niels
    2001 S60 T5 - 3" ferrita downpipe - ferrita exhaust - - 'R' exhaust manifold - green injectors - 19T 300-70 - Bigger intercooler (42mm) - MTE custom map - Bilstein shocks - K&N -frontbrakes:320 mm 'police' brake's - Rearbrakes: CTF GroupN discs/Mevius Racing pads - subaru boost meter

Soon to be fitted: S60R Airbox, Aquamist
    got plans for an LSD and spec 3+ clutch

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Or you could always do this....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t12357-d...ction-mod.html

Don's included an ITG filter in this homebrew set up.

Mine'll get the same treatment once the warranty runs out in 2 months.

Cheers

Cue

X Reg T5 2.3 SE Auto Estate - Signature courtesy of VikingT5

Thread Information