Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very good site

This user has no status
    Thanks

very good site

This man works for volvo on the engine development department and has a vast amount of knowledge. The good thing is that it puts some of that knowledge on the internet: http://www.wothrline.com/main.html

This user has no status
    Thanks

The guy clearly knows his stuff...

... But what on earth are "roof cunnings"? - it all sounds very rude to me

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Actually I beg to differ, He obviously he is very passionate and spends a lot of money on his car but I belive he has been feed a fair amount of Cack.
    As Ive seen much more favorable results without doing a lot of that stuff!
    Last edited by lance; Thursday 13th July 2006 at 11:10.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lance, indeed if you read the first page you will see that this site is all about his own findings and that anyone is entitled to disagree. To quote his last sentence -

"I will NOT debate the information from this site on any Internet forum. This is my personal experiences and if someone doesn't agree it's their right not to do so."

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Thursday 13th July 2006 at 11:19.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I do like his car though oh i am so in love need to spend a bit of cash to get mine in this condition

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5ER
    I do like his car though oh i am so in love need to spend a bit of cash to get mine in this condition

Yeah it does look the part, Mine also needs a make over too, Front tyres , suspenders, rear discs & pads, front pads atleast, also chav dint taking out rear passanger door , and bleedin car park scrape out of back panal. Having new AC pipe next week so atleast I can be chilled about it all!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In my opion the guy nows more about this stuff than most of us. Take for instance his opion on injectors. I know for sure that there will be a lot of experts here who will disagree but after carefull reading I agree with him:

"Fuel injectors

Too many people and tuning companies seams to forget that the engine need fuel in order to perform and if you don’t upgrade your car with bigger injectors above a certain level of tuning, the power will simply not be there. Too choose fuel injectors is not so difficult as long as you keep in mind that there has to be margins for component protection so that the injector is not run wide open. There are exact formulas to calculate size of fuel injectors, but bellow are some guide lines concerning the most common fuel injectors used in B52x4Tx engines. We know that maximum performance is obtained at lambda between 0.91 and 0.93, but it’s often a delicate task to keep lambda at optimum air/fuel ratio for a longer period due to heat in exhaust system and internally in the cylinder. In real life this often means that after a period of time the system will have to engage component protection and run with a richer air/fuel ratio in order to cool the hardware and then lambda 0.83-0.85 is what I regard as a good compromise for performance and safety as long as temperatures are within the limits. Maximum component protection may demand as rich as lambda 0.7 or richer and that you will have to bear in mind when choosing fuel injectors. Make sure that your injector size can handle lambda 0.7 at desired power output. Lambda 1 is equal to A/F ratio 14:1.

Volvo fuel injectors Lambda value (A/F) Power
    468cc (349gr/min) 1 468hp
    0.92 430hp
    0.85 398hp
    0.8 374hp
    0.7 328hp

394cc (294gr/min) 1 394hp
    0.92 362hp
    0.85 335hp
    0.8 315hp
    0.7 276hp

350cc (261gr/min) 1 350hp
    0.92 322hp
    0.85 298hp
    0.8 280hp
    0.7 245hp

315cc (235gr/min) 1 315hp
    0.92 290hp
    0.85 268hp
    0.8 252hp
    0.7 221hp

310cc (231gr/min) 1 310hp
    0.92 285hp
    0.85 264hp
    0.8 248hp
    0.7 217hp

Example none stock fuel injectors
    Fuel injectors Lambda value (A/F) Power
    725cc (541gr/min) 1 725hp
    0.92 667hp
    0.85 617hp
    0.8 580hp
    0.7 508hp

550cc (410gr/min) 1 550hp
    0.92 506hp
    0.85 468hp
    0.8 440hp
    0.7 385hp

Knowing the size of the fuel injector let us determine what power output is reasonable to expect from the setup. If we calculate that our setup can hold the power output at lambda 0.85 without running to hot we can also see that many performance figures presented to us in media, on the Internet etc are quite hard to believe. There are no stock Volvo fuel injectors big enough for 500hp and even 400hp is hard to reach. Bigger injectors cost money and it’s also more difficult to control a big injector at low flow rates and therefore car manufacturers will not choose injectors that have capacity high above the expected need. Too big injectors can affect idle performance, emissions, cold start behaviour etc.

The 225hp 850 Turbo with B5234T engine had 310cc injectors and also the 850 T-5R and the automatic 850R with B5234T5 and 240hp used these 310cc injectors. When the manual 850R with 250hp B5234T4 engine was introduced it came with 350cc injectors and the 350cc injector was used for 240hp x70 T5 and automatic R with B5234T3 engine and manual R with 250hp and B5234T4 engines.

P2x T5 with B5234T3 engine came with 394cc fuel injectors and the 394cc fuel injector is also used for the new 24HT engine in P2x T5 2005- with 260hp B5244T3 engine. The new 300hp R-line engine B5254T4 in S60R and V70R introduced comes with 468cc fuel injectors. As you can see the fuel injector size has increased quite significantly from the 225hp B5234T engine to the 300hp B5254T4 engine. If it was possible to reach 300hp and still obtain all demands on the system you can be 100% sure that Volvo, or any other car manufacturer for that matter, would never have changed to bigger fuel injectors, but it is simply not possible to use a 310cc fuel injector in a 300hp setup and still fulfil all the demands.

A SW upgrade with no HW upgrade like exhaust system will make your car run hot and then lambda 0.7-0.75 is what you can expect quite soon at maximum load…
    Bear this in mind when you check for upgrades that claim to give your car +300hp with stock HW and chip upgrade including sport air filter.

High air flow through the engine with a low back pressure in the exhaust system will cause less heat and therefore allow a more efficient lambda value with high performance as a result, but this also has to be considered in the SW-calibration in order to make a difference. Fuel injector size will have to be chosen in consideration with turbocharger and exhaust upgrade in order to reach a good solution.

Lambda 1 or A/F ratio 14:1 is the optimum mixture for emissions and running either richer or leaner will affect emissions creating either higher NOX level or higher CO2 levels with increased fuel consumption as a result.

This image is just to show the principal in general."
    2001 S60 T5 - 3" ferrita downpipe - ferrita exhaust - - 'R' exhaust manifold - green injectors - 19T 300-70 - Bigger intercooler (42mm) - MTE custom map - Bilstein shocks - K&N -frontbrakes:320 mm 'police' brake's - Rearbrakes: CTF GroupN discs/Mevius Racing pads - subaru boost meter

Soon to be fitted: S60R Airbox, Aquamist
    got plans for an LSD and spec 3+ clutch

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvos60t5
    In my opion the guy nows more about this stuff than most of us. Take for instance his opion on injectors. I know for sure that there will be a lot of experts here who will disagree but after carefull reading I agree with him
    That's the great thing about living in a democracy! We can agree/disagree and everyone is happy Everyone has their own experiences, and my own experience lead me to disagree with some of the stuff he writes. However some of the stuff I do agree with. Let's face it, even Volvo engineers can make mistakes - they are human after all, just like the rest of us.

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Thursday 13th July 2006 at 13:23.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I dunno, I lost track of this thread on "Cunnilingus"

BIG GREEN PLEASURE MACHINE

GONE, VERY LIKELY FORGOTTEN

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Does this mean i can buy the 350cc injectors and do a straight swap for my 310cc or would it confuse everything if i just swapped them

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Does this mean i can buy the 350cc injectors and do a straight swap for my 310cc or would it confuse everything if i just swapped them
    Depending on the current settings the start migth be a bit rough but the software will take cart of that after start. My car ran the the original sofware (for white injectors) after I put in the green injectors. It was a bit rich mixture dough You are howver better of changing the software if you change injectors.
    2001 S60 T5 - 3" ferrita downpipe - ferrita exhaust - - 'R' exhaust manifold - green injectors - 19T 300-70 - Bigger intercooler (42mm) - MTE custom map - Bilstein shocks - K&N -frontbrakes:320 mm 'police' brake's - Rearbrakes: CTF GroupN discs/Mevius Racing pads - subaru boost meter

Soon to be fitted: S60R Airbox, Aquamist
    got plans for an LSD and spec 3+ clutch

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you swap those injectors, closed loop fueling will be ok (ECU will adapt), but WOT open loop fueling will be too rich. Then you will need a remap to fix that.

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Thursday 13th July 2006 at 15:25.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    If you swap those injectors, closed loop fueling will be ok (ECU will adapt), but WOT open loop fueling will be too rich. Then you will need a remap to fix that.

Adam.
    Ta for that thought i would check first may have to get them and then pop down to you guys for a remap,would it up the bhp any more than standard or not

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ta for that thought i would check first may have to get them and then pop down to you guys for a remap,would it up the bhp any more than standard or not
    Nope, no extra bhp at all.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Adam,
    On his project car he also makes use of the exhaust manifold from the new 'R' engine. Do you know how much difference that makes? Is it worth the cost of buying one?
    Robb
    Silver 2001 V70 T5 ex-plod
    Eibach lowered springs, Monroe Reflex shocks; 17" Almathea's shod with P6000's (eBay £50 net); Black leather interior (eBay £410)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    Nope, no extra bhp at all.

Adam.
    LOL wont bother with that then will just pop down and get the RICA now which one to go for???

This user has no status

Thanks
    Am I going mad or is this a bit of de ja vous?? Was this website and its content debated some months/years back or am I thinking of something else entirely?

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dont know MM,link finding time i think

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightonBreezy
    Adam,
    On his project car he also makes use of the exhaust manifold from the new 'R' engine. Do you know how much difference that makes? Is it worth the cost of buying one?
    Exactly how much difference it makes I'm not entirely sure because I haven't made any appropriate measurements on the same car with only the manifold changed as a direct comparison. I do think it makes a small difference but whether it's worth doing depends on how bothered you are about extracting the best from the car.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    Am I going mad or is this a bit of de ja vous?? Was this website and its content debated some months/years back or am I thinking of something else entirely?

x
    Yes it was! Yes it is de ja vous!

Same recently happened on the voc about injectors lol.

Adam.

Thread Information