Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

s60 2.4T differences

So I decided against an 850 T5 and went for a 2002 S60 2.4 Turbo S

I noticed that it has 200bhp and the s60 R has 300?

What is creating the extra 100bhp? Is the engine different or is it just the components and would it be possible to get my 2.4T upto T5 or R spec without serious cash involved?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    different animal all together mate i think it has a different turbo and different ecu VT TUNING will no a bit more about that side of things as will some other members on here

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is the S60 R a 6 cylinder 3.0?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5ER
    different animal all together mate i think it has a different turbo and different ecu VT TUNING will no a bit more about that side of things as will some other members on here
    FYI PPFG its Either VT or VolvoTuning theres not 2 T's in VT lol

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    FYI PPFG its Either VT or VolvoTuning theres not 2 T's in VT lol

x
    Ta hun just took me a few mins to work out FYI PPFG but got it MM

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by griffiths811
    Is the S60 R a 6 cylinder 3.0?
    No 2.5 5 cylinder high pressure turbo
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The two engines are completely different animals... different capacities, different internals, different anciliaries... different.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whin25
    So I decided against an 850 T5 and went for a 2002 S60 2.4 Turbo S

I noticed that it has 200bhp and the s60 R has 300?

What is creating the extra 100bhp? Is the engine different or is it just the components and would it be possible to get my 2.4T upto T5 or R spec without serious cash involved?
    You could get it to almost standard T5 power with a remap , but if you want more than that it would be cheaper to buy a T5.
    As far as I am aware yours is a low pressure turbo with a high compression engine the T5 and R variants are High pressure turbo low compression ratio engines.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok just wanted to get that cleared up as i need to set a myself a bhp goal for mod, i'm looking to get 250bhp without having to upgrade the turbo which i think should be possible.

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Possibly , I would get in touch with VT, or go for a T5 which would already have 250-260 Bhp and able to hit 300+ with just a remap
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ok just wanted to get that cleared up as i need to set a myself a bhp goal for mod, i'm looking to get 250bhp without having to upgrade the turbo which i think should be possible.
    hey mate. 250 bhp on a LPT should be achievable with only a re-map or even a chip and exhaust. but once you do that, it won't be enough. then you'll start looking at a turbo swap and a remap. i'd try and go for a T5 version to begin with, if i were you.
    but whatever you choose to do, be sure not to buy an auto or a geartronic tranny. especially if you're looking to seriously mod this car. trust me. auto tranny is crap. buy a manual.
    good luck
    Serdar
    2001 S60 T5 GearTronic - JR filter - 3" downpipe - no cat - custom superchip @ 17.5 psi

This user has no status

Thanks
    well my fastest car so far has been a peugeot 206 1.6 xsi so i don't want to jump straight into an extremely fast car. 200bhp should be enough to start with then once i'm used to the difference in power i can upgrade the exahust and get it chipped and hopefully be pushing 250.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A sensible option, I agree. The T5 can be a bit of a pussycat though, you don't have to push it to the limit.
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status

Thanks

Exclamation

BSR do a PPC for it which will take it straight to 252 bhp for £475 =vat which makes it cheaper than a ricaz with more returns imoa

http://www.bsruk.co.uk/ppc.htm
    PHASE 2 S40 T4
    S60 D5 :
    2002 S60 2.4T
    OCTAVIA VRS
    2006 S40 SPORT SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    Has anyone on the forum used the BSR kit... be interested to hear some feedback... seems like a cost effective way to get 'near-as' T5 performance...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Alan (a member on here) who is also from Ireland bought one from us a while ago and seems to be very happy with it.

You must run it on 98 RON fuel especially if you are tuning it, otherwise you won't get anywhere near the quoted power gains.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    that's freaky - I was just looking on your site ... couldn't find the BSR tho...

Ideally the RICA upgrade would be my preference, but we don't have an installation centre over here

With the BSR being plug and play.. its seems the best option and I like the idea of being able to go back to the stock s/w.

Can you PM me with price for the BSR.

Thanks!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nealer
    that's freaky - I was just looking on your site ... couldn't find the BSR tho...

Ideally the RICA upgrade would be my preference, but we don't have an installation centre over here

With the BSR being plug and play.. its seems the best option and I like the idea of being able to go back to the stock s/w.

Can you PM me with price for the BSR.

Thanks!
    sounds like i made your mind for you lol ''
    BSR means no opening of the ecu etc and if you play further with your car you can download new setups for it i believe direct from bsr
    it comes in slightly cheaper than rica and gains are alot more,
    as on the rica lines,upsolute do similar power gains and its around £300 for simon to come to your house and flash your ecu so i opted for a upsolute on my t4 and i was impressed with it enough to recommend it anyway
    depends on how much you want to spend.in my case its as little as possible for as much as possible power wise.
    so get a bsr ppc a downpipe and a nitrous bottle lol
    PHASE 2 S40 T4
    S60 D5 :
    2002 S60 2.4T
    OCTAVIA VRS
    2006 S40 SPORT SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GATHY
    sounds like i made your mind for you lol ''
    BSR means no opening of the ecu etc and if you play further with your car you can download new setups for it i believe direct from bsr
    it comes in slightly cheaper than rica and gains are alot more,
    as on the rica lines,upsolute do similar power gains and its around £300 for simon to come to your house and flash your ecu so i opted for a upsolute on my t4 and i was impressed with it enough to recommend it anyway
    depends on how much you want to spend.in my case its as little as possible for as much as possible power wise.
    so get a bsr ppc a downpipe and a nitrous bottle lol
    Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that. If you go for the stage 3 BSR for example, you would normally need to send the ECU off to BSR. The internet updates are really there for resolving any running issues with the stage 1 upgrade or downloading new software if it's not available yet.

ps. Both RICA and BSR are OBDII upgrades.

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Tuesday 18th July 2006 at 15:37.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Bsr

hey..
    a few words on BSR.
    i've contacted "partsforvolvosonline" for the PPC upgrade. now i don't know if anyone actually cares for the "quoted" power gains by these tuning companies, but what i noticed was this :
    for my 2001 S60 T5 2.3 liter turbo, BSR was quoting a 250 bhp standard and 299 bhp with the PPC upgrade. thus, a 49 bhp increase.
    then, i checked the dyno graphs and realized that the particular S60 T5 they tested and posted on their site was originally 260 bhp as stock, although the quoted factory output was supposed to be 250.
    i emailed them and asked about this 10 bhp difference.
    they told me " the S60 T5 must have 10 bhp more than volvo actually quote, so the outcome was 299 bhp "
    i was like " well, i see this particular one you tested has more power than it should have as a stock T5 but that may not be the case with every S60 T5, right? "
    i mean my S60 T5 is a regular 250 bhp. so should i be expecting a 39 bhp increase or a 49 bhp increase, based on your statement?
    they did not answer.
    Serdar
    2001 S60 T5 GearTronic - JR filter - 3" downpipe - no cat - custom superchip @ 17.5 psi

Thread Information