Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

volvo 850 t5 mods

hi everyone i own a 1996 volvo 850 t5 and after 3 years need more power and mods.any ideas?i was thinking a t18 turbo larder downpipe and exhaust,injectors,how good is the manifold and the head???would i be better modding these?and finally is there any of yous could reccomend any good brake conversions?would the v70r or s60r callipers and discs be an easy swap?ps any info gratefully recieved
    regards barry

This user has no status

Thanks
    For an easy swap go for either 18T or 19T with either a standard downpipe that has these turbos as standard or a 3" version. Exhaust, make your own 3" system with a race cat in there. Manifold, you could get the S60R version.

For the front, S60R calipers are a no no, companies have tried and failed in the US to get these on an 850/x70. The rears from the S60R can be fitted though.

If you search for BBK you will find a load of info on them, including WP, ATE, Porsche, Wilwood and AP.

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks alot steve.i heard the 19t is alot laggier than the 18t is it much more?would i need to upgrade the injectors as well?what about the head and the intercooler?and is it true the 850glt cams are a good swap?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I heard the 2.5 cams are a good swap and can add 30bhp....
    anyone else hear d this ?
    1995 854 t5
    40mm lowered
    bilstien shocks
    strut brace [ome] wow what a difference
    poly top mount
    new turbo
    drop links and rod ends
    bonnet wadding removed

RICA power

turob to i/c pipe hose
    bcs hoses
    silicone vac lines (part done)
    new oe wishbones
    k&n panel filter

to do
    paint up v70 r calipers calipers
    R bumper

my vBGarage

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baba850r2006
    thanks alot steve.i heard the 19t is alot laggier than the 18t is it much more?would i need to upgrade the injectors as well?what about the head and the intercooler?and is it true the 850glt cams are a good swap?
    No the 19T is has less lag than the 18T. You can run on the standard injectors, but if you want it tuned to the max and drive it hard all the time then the 350 cc white injectors will be the better starting point. Anything bigger is simply not necessary on that setup.

Head is ok, as is the intercooler. The intercooler is pretty good for a road car and it's probably one of the last things to think about.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I dont think it is. Ive only been in one Volvo with a 19T so far and that car is slightly special so i cant really say. Ive no idea about the 18T im afraid. Just go for the 19T, pointless getting a smaller version

Injector wise, depends which colour you have at the moment? Do a search on VolvoSpeed, they have quite a few threads on injector sizes and what colour is in what car. I cant remember without looking. Green injectors are the largest found on our volvos, im unsure if you need them for your planned setup though. You will defo need the white??? out of the S/V70 T5though.

Intercooler, you can spend like £600 getting a drop in version from Kalmar Union or go for something like a Ford RS500 for £300 that you'll have to adapt the piping and make your own mounts to fit.

For the cams, have a read on VolvoSpeed again, loads of info on there about them.

Ive no idea about head modifications. You can always do some port/polish on there and match both manifolds.

2 other points though that you have failed to mention that imo is relevant. Intake route to the turbo, you need it as straight as possible and again imo replace the standard airbox with a good CAI. Other point is your clutch. How many miles are on it at the moment. With the upgraded torque, you will quickly need a beefier clutch to handle it. Maybe think about getting an 850R clutch from Volvo.

This user has no status

Thanks
    im getting a new clutch.ok thanks you guys so the 19t turbo larger injectors aglt cams and a set up should be plenty more fast then?lol.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thats info about the clutch for you:- http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/Which...bo-t53120.html

This user has no status
    Thanks
    im getting a new clutch.ok thanks you guys so the 19t turbo larger injectors aglt cams and a set up should be plenty more fast then?lol.
    I would say so! Put it this way, 0-60 will be sub 6 secs and a top speed of almost 170 mph. And it won't just creep off the clock, it will get there very fast. Chances are that with this setup you will rarely use the full potential because there's not enough traffic free road space available!!!

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    *thread hijack sorry*

Which car's use the 19t as standard and are there any specific years of these car's that have them?

also,

is it a straight swap?

cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Only the one as far as I know and it was the previous shape V70R AWD which was 265bhp as standard and used the 19t, it was available 1998-99ish.
    04 S40 1.9D 115Bhp Sport
    00 BMW 325i Cabrio
    07 Monaro VXR 500
    03 Porsche Boxster 2.7

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Baba see my signature for my mods. However before upping the power get the chassis sorted first, think strutbrace, suspension and above all brakes. I've been going for a year or so now and still on standard power but chassis is slowly getting up to scratch!
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by After_Shock
    Only the one as far as I know and it was the previous shape V70R AWD which was 265bhp as standard and used the 19t, it was available 1998-99ish.
    It was late 99-00, I have the 18T which was only issued on my auto R mid 99, but it was used on the manual R's 97-98.

Gary,
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    Knew it was somewhere around then!
    04 S40 1.9D 115Bhp Sport
    00 BMW 325i Cabrio
    07 Monaro VXR 500
    03 Porsche Boxster 2.7

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Straker
    . However before upping the power get the chassis sorted first, think strutbrace, suspension and above all brakes.
    Why do you need to get bigger brakes before upping the power?

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    'cos the standard ones fade like nothing else if you drive the car hard - and you're more likely to drive it harder if it goes faster!

I know this is an old debate, probably comes down to driving style and/or the type of roads that each of us frequents...
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue
    It was late 99-00, I have the 18T which was only issued on my auto R mid 99, but it was used on the manual R's 97-98.

Gary,
    And if your lucky and do what i did and only pay a total of £170ish for both 19T and downpipe, then your on to a winner

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    And if your lucky and do what i did and only pay a total of £170ish for both 19T and downpipe, then your on to a winner
    very lucky git LOL were did you find them BB

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    'cos the standard ones fade like nothing else if you drive the car hard - and you're more likely to drive it harder if it goes faster!

I know this is an old debate, probably comes down to driving style and/or the type of roads that each of us frequents...
    Right so because you have upped the power you have to stop quicker? You are only getting up to the same speeds quicker than you were before what difference does that make to the brakes?

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    LOL fit a parachute in the boot just in case mate.I am going to be fitting my zost soon then hopefully a trip to VT will worry about the brakes later but that said i dont hammer my brakes very hard anyway,as said depends on your driving style

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

Thread Information