Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Angry Volvo Help (or lack of it)

Just to let you all know that if your car has passed the 100k mark, and your
    ETM fails, Volvo will not help in any way (apart from charging around £650 to fit a new one)
    Tony.

arbee
    This user has no status
    I take it you have read all the threads about ETMs just in case? If its the original part, to be honest I think 100k is a pretty decent life from any component. Would you expect a 100k warranty on a replacement part?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    fit new clocks???? it must be cheaper that £650
    mark t4

VOLVO T4 FOR SALE..may part ex for t5 estate

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well that is rather rubbish, In America it is ten years/200,000miles on the etm....
    Standard V70 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Please read the previous threads on the ETM topic! Basically, it seems that every individual ETM case is open to debate, outside North America.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee
    I take it you have read all the threads about ETMs just in case? If its the original part, to be honest I think 100k is a pretty decent life from any component. Would you expect a 100k warranty on a replacement part?
    Yes to a certain extent mate as Volvo always preach their 25 odd year life cycle for all their cars lol. For a Ford no lol.
    Engineer

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer
    Yes to a certain extent mate as Volvo always preach their 25 odd year life cycle for all their cars lol. For a Ford no lol.
    i'll bare that in mind when my turbo gets a bit smokey then

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee
    i'll bare that in mind when my turbo gets a bit smokey then
    All joking aside Rich we all know the problem and its just to much for the company to support outside the US hence the "we will consider each case on its merit" stance. End of story IMHO.
    Engineer

arbee
    This user has no status
    no i do agree with you. seems to be a case of 'he who shouts loudest'

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    i got to say though, how many manufacturers would could cover a component after 100,000 miles?
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufe
    i got to say though, how many manufacturers would could cover a component after 100,000 miles?
    Good point, but how many manufacturers have built their reputations on the reliability mentioned previously? Non in my book. The MM system is cack mate.
    Engineer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Replacing an ETM cost roughly the same as replacing a turbo. Plenty of Volvos have needed turbos replacing around 100K mark. But that doesn't impact on the longevity of the vehicle and neither does a faulty ETM. I still think that the modern Volvos will do big miles just like the older ones, but with the electronics and mechanics being more complex, there will be more components that fail during the lifetime of the car.

So perhaps perceived reliability may be worse, but the longevity is still there IMHO.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    Replacing an ETM cost roughly the same as replacing a turbo. Plenty of Volvos have needed turbos replacing around 100K mark. But that doesn't impact on the longevity of the vehicle and neither does a faulty ETM. I still think that the modern Volvos will do big miles just like the older ones, but with the electronics and mechanics being more complex, there will be more components that fail during the lifetime of the car.

So perhaps perceived reliability may be worse, but the longevity is still there IMHO.

Adam.
    No Adam, not when it comes to the running mechs and associated electronics, we ain't talkng, dare I say It French stuff here we are talking quality and in that case the MM system is still cack mate IMHO.
    Engineer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Basic design flaw springs to mind.......and i mean basic.....when something effectivly rubs on another, the weakest link will wear out. Now if that happens to be a major part of a component..ie conductive material thats what i would call a design flaw.

Quality it aint.....
    Standard V70 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Anyway, the new ETMs are a different design so I guess the issue has been addressed.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Interesting, can the ecu on say a '99 model be reprogrammed to use one of the newer ones? and what other kit is different on the fly by wire stuff?

Adrian
    Standard V70 T5

This user has no status

Thanks
    We have a number of cars at work which have covered 300k + and these are 2003 onwards models, one S80 has done 435k and is a 2001 so theirs no problem with mileage and Volvo DOES have the longest average life span of any car out there.

Again its great that people slag Volvo off for a faulty part that starts failing at X mileage and X age on its cars, why doesnt anyone start having a go at the people who supplied the part. Considering it woudlnt start to be an issue when all the cars had covered that X amount of miles or reached that X age how was Volvo to know.

Again just another example of how people are so quick to criticise but never praise the cars, how many people have had there lifes saved or avoided serious injury because of the safety in a Volvo? Obviously not many as never hear from them, get the point.
    Last edited by After_Shock; Thursday 8th June 2006 at 23:51.
    04 S40 1.9D 115Bhp Sport
    00 BMW 325i Cabrio
    07 Monaro VXR 500
    03 Porsche Boxster 2.7

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by After_Shock
    one S80 has done 435k and is a 2001 so theirs no problem with mileage
    wow! thats some annual mileage!
    why doesnt anyone start having a go at the people who supplied the part.
    because as far as the consumer is concerned, volvo chooses the part, volvo supplies the part to the punter, and volvo has a reputation and a responsibility to uphold
    Again just another example of how people are so quick to criticise but never praise the cars, how many people have had there lifes saved or avoided serious injury because of the safety in a Volvo? Obviously not many as never hear from them, get the point.
    I think most are appreciate of the volvo's qualtities - we wouldnt be on here if we weren't - however with such a high expectaion of longevity, there are always going to be issues of disapointment with the failing of a part that is so well documented - whoever is at fault!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah Volvo chose the part however the parts people are in business and if neither them or Volvo had any idea of the fact these parts would fail, who is at fault? Volvo would never have chose these bits intentionally would they, no business would due to the costs implied in the later stages, it just doesnt make sense.

Also as mentioned 100k and probably an average life span of 6-9years is more than acceptable for a part, ive known people with 1 year old land rovers have to replace entire gearboxe's and drivetrains, people with BM's have to get their engines rebuilt, Citroens have entire ECU changes etc etc. Im not saying Volvo's dont have problems but that life span and mileage on a single part does not justify the grief Volvo has received from there customers.
    04 S40 1.9D 115Bhp Sport
    00 BMW 325i Cabrio
    07 Monaro VXR 500
    03 Porsche Boxster 2.7

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Its not really about lifespan and milage, well for me it is not....it is about safety....which as you say After_Shock is what Volvos are renowned for.....

The said part, ie the ETM, can fail without warning.....the engine just cuts out completely.....you can be overtaking, doing '70' in the fast lane or cornering quickly.......in any of these situations having an engine cut out is rather scary and potentially very dangerous. That in my book is not a safe item.

Personaly i dont want to test a Volvos safety, done that already in my old 440 and dont really want to repeat it, though happy to be in a Volvo again if it does one day happen again.

Adrian
    Standard V70 T5

Thread Information