Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Cutting Bump Stops??

My mental mate who is mad about lowering and has lowered lots of cars has noticed, as have i that the front of my car site higher than the back, even though it has 40mm Eibachs all round. The cause of this is probably my 2 x 15" Kickers in a well heavy box in the boot. He suggested I cut the Bump stops down on the front to get it even lower, is this safe? I know he has done it on pretty much all of his cars, and currently has his Honda Accord lowered about 100mm, It's well on the deck. But he did this by cutting the bump stops, has any one attempted this on there T5? or is there another way round but cheap?

Bison

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    What about when you come to sell it, it may put people off being too low.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In my opinion, bumps stops are there for a reason,
    Do you want to have the suspension components hitting the chassis on the car at full suspension travel??

Cutting the stops will also only "help" if, when you look at the car, whilst stationary, the car is touching the stops.

If it isnt touching them, cutting them wont make any difference

Probably a better idea to look into how to stop the back sagging with the weight of the subs, Though I would have thought that it shouldnt have made that much difference. It isnt going tbe any heavier than 1 passenger in the back...

Maybe the settings on the shocks are incorrect, causing either the back to sit too low, or the front too high...

Steve
    Fraud Mundeo ST200..... with a volvot5.co.uk sticker!! Thanks Justin

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Probably a better idea to look into how to stop the back sagging with the weight of the subs, Though I would have thought that it shouldnt have made that much difference. It isnt going tbe any heavier than 1 passenger in the back...
    hmmmm you obviously haven't felt the weight of 2 kickers in a very thick MDF box.

the back tyre is slightly under the arch, the front has a gap of about 2 inchs, the front needs to be lower! simple as.

Bison

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison
    hmmmm you obviously haven't felt the weight of 2 kickers in a very thick MDF box.

the back tyre is slightly under the arch, the front has a gap of about 2 inchs, the front needs to be lower! simple as.

Bison
    I have actually, I carried a similar box from my car up the stairs into the spare room!!

2 x 12inchers (or 10's??), MDF and perspex box, and amp. 30kilos

If you have a difference of 2 or more inches in height front to rear, somethings maybe buggered and cutting stops aint gonna help.

I can almost guarantee even without seeing it then that the front stops arent being touched and you have a gap there,
    So cutting them will make the gap even bigger

So I'm not saying that it doesnt need to be lower, it certainly does fromyour description, just that your proposed method I DONT THINK, will help you

You probably need heavier duty springs at the rear, and/or shorter spings at the front.

Am I making sense?

Steve

PS, you sure you dont have 17 inchers on the back and 15's on the front!!

ONLY JOKING MATE!
    Fraud Mundeo ST200..... with a volvot5.co.uk sticker!! Thanks Justin

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    erm, the front arches are cut higher into the wing which is why it LOOKS lower at the back. Cutting the bumpstops will do jack inless you've got no springs in your suspension

& only 2 x 15's what you messing at

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Fix a couple of slabs to the underside of your bonnet - the extra weight will drop the front of the car.
    A side product of this is that the car will be more balanced (to equalise for the weight of the speaker box), and you won't be able to lift the bonnet - thus reducing time/money spent on servicing the motor!

[This is a joke, and I don't suggest you actually do it!]

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [This is a joke, and I don't suggest you actually do it!]

quite a scary thought but there is probably someone somewhere in this big wide world (prob USA) that would actually take your advice!

Bison

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    an old friend of mine used to carry a bag of cement in the boot of his AX, you never know when you might need it he said lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used to carry a slab in the front of my Hillman Imp - honest!

Fun in the twisties!

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Goof
    I used to carry a slab in the front of my Hillman Imp - honest!
    i'm not surprised there, heard stories of front wheels leaving the ground at speed (& i never got to try it when i had mine )

This user has no status
    Thanks
    "Hillman Imp" and "speed" are two completely unrelated phrases!
    I bet you had a "California" model!!!?

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    I bet you had a "California" model!!!?
    i had the rare as rocking horse sh*t Sunbeam Imp Sport, which is now even rarer as the previous owner had done some non-reversable mods (took it to the Imp owners club meet & they were nearly in tears )

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can I say "nasty" without meaning offence?
    Think that bloke had too much spare time!

Fun in the twisties!

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    Can I say "nasty" without meaning offence?
    if you mean because of the lights & spoiler i actually fitted them lol, he welded in the cage & cut out aload of metal

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
    an old friend of mine used to carry a bag of cement in the boot of his AX, you never know when you might need it he said lol
    An old mate had a merc C180 in white with blacked out limo windows, nice alloys , big sounds etc the only think he hadn't done was lower the car so he had a couple of bags of White All in one plaster in the boot.
    All going well till he got rear ended on the Edgeware Road (london) absolutely totalled the back of his merc split the bag of plaster. That mixed with the water from the other cars rad resulted in a white powdery substance running down the road. Old bill sealed the area called the Drug Squad etc arrested my mate as they thought they had neeted a big time drug lord. When they realised the ££££ up they only tried to prosecute him for wasting police time.
    Needless to say he walked away scott free but all the same funny for the rest of us.

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    lol Police screw up again but still tried to convict him on something

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Back to the bump stop question - My rear wheels are in the wheel arch with an empty boot......

Maybe someone can clarify a rumour that I heard....or is this just an urban legend.....?

Did they manufacture a different spring kits for Saloons and estates..?
    The result is - if you fit saloon springs to an estate the back will always sit lower than the front......

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

Thread Information