Join Today
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Looks flawless Mark - well done. What polishes and pads did you use? Any technique advice?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Harlow, Essex. Drives : An 855 T-5R Gul. To Fit: PCV & 'Stage 0' bits, and a damn good servicing!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkE
    Bought a PC and a ridiculous amount of gear after going to a demo day in June organised by one of the guys from Detailing World. Suffice it to say my jetwash days are behind me :

After washing, claying and polishing

After sealing

I heard people talk about having obsessive cleaning disorder but it really does grab you.
    that looks mint! the benefits of a dark coloured car eh!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee
    that looks mint! the benefits of a dark coloured car eh!
    yeah, and one thats pretty new and not had years of battering like most of ours

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I can restore them - restore them all!! MRMRMRMMRMRMUURURURUHAHAHAHAHA! (eveil laugh)
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    Looks flawless Mark - well done. What polishes and pads did you use? Any technique advice?
    Cheers, Dave.

Megs #80 Speed Glaze after the clay bar. 6" finishing pad (softest) on the PC with passes at speed 3 and 6.

The sealant (I used Klasse SG at the time, but I've switched to Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant now - it just wipes off with no effort, leaving you standing there grinning like a loon ) went on with a microfibre pad.

Pinnacle Signature wax (a decent budget buy at the time but it's going to be Pinnacle Souveran when this runs out...) went on with a polyfoam applicator.

As long as you know how to handle the PC (and it's pretty much common sense stuff - stop and start the machine on the car, don't try to cover too much area at a time, don't use too much product, don't be scared of speed 6) you can't really go wrong.

Full details and a whole load of extra pics HERE

As RobA pointed out, the car is nearly new which does have its benefits. At the open day, though, we used the same products as above on an ancient Mitsi Colt which had horribly faded and dull red paintwork. With very little effort, it came up like new again.

And arbee - Yeah, it looks great for the first ten minutes after you wash it. Then you spend two days getting annoyed at dust for landing on it. Then you feel like you need to wash it again. If I didn't think it's absolutely the best colour for the V50, it would really wind me up.
    Mark

This user has no status
    Thanks
    WOW...to MarkE, taking a photo of himself in his wing, that finish is just amaaaaaaaaazing. U n Dave truely r very, very special when it comes 2 this 'ole car paint finishing/detailing business. I love keepin up2date with this thread, I only wish I had the tools n skillz 2 produce a finish like that on my car

Do either of u sell ur services???

Mark.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5SLAVE
    Do either of u sell ur services???
    I'd like to do it as a sideline but I haven't got the time, TBH.

That said, I did my dad's car this afternoon

PICCY
    PICCY
    PICCY
    PICCY

To anybody in the NW who is interested in having their car detailed, I can recommend Iain AKA FinerDetails as his work is stunning (and he's been doing this for a lot longer than I have )

FinerDetails Linky
    Mark

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    When I started out learning about this stuff then investing in the gear, the idea was always to offer it to the forum. I am looking to practice and get good before I commit. There are a few mates around here with T5 who will be used to hone my skills.

As I get better I reckon that deep scratch removal and chip fixing will not be out of my grasp.

I compared my own paint with Lances under street light late yesterday and the comparison is very noticeable.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I will be investing in some pinnacle souveran for shows where longevity is not important.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    When I started out learning about this stuff then investing in the gear, the idea was always to offer it to the forum. I am looking to practice and get good before I commit. There are a few mates around here with T5 who will be used to hone my skills.
    I'll keep an eye on this 1 then m8 Sure I can clean a car pretty good, been practising 4 enough years...but that's like saying I can cook a pretty good roasty then goin 2 a top notch restaurant n eatin the best, LOL! I'm lookin 4ward 2 Trax m8, where we can chat about the possibiliy of u MAYBE one day givin my 'ole bus the serious treatment would love 2 see how well it comes up espesh considerin the majority of the paintwork 'll b new by the time u (possibly?) get round 2 doin it...

Thread Information