3 50.00%
  • Get the FK 60/40 kit at £330.31

3 50.00%
  • Stick with stock; mmmn bouncy

0 0%
    This user has no status
    Thanks

FK 60/40mm lowering springs

Narrowing down the choices for a suspension upgrade, I'm looking at weitec and FK. The latter do a 60/40 drop at the front and rear respectively, but their appendicies note that "shortened shocks have to be used". What's the implication of this?

Plus any pictures of any vehicle fitted with a 60/40 kit would be very welcome, to guage the 'wedge' factor
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status

Thanks
    You may run out of shock travel on the front of the std dampers.Reality is that you will be ok probably lol
    I have emailed some pics of my car with these springs on to Fraz,i guess he will post them up when he gets time.
    Last edited by elliot; Wednesday 24th May 2006 at 22:11.

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry mate I forgot about these..... My bad

Pics of Elliots car

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Awesome, cheers both for that. That's both the spings and dampers fitted?

Any issues with speed bumps? How's the handling vs. stock? Rubbing?
    Martin

This user has no status

Thanks
    FK springs and dampers on the front but i have LEDA'S on the rear.The FK dampers and spring ride very well but to be completely honest they dont have a stiff enough rebound once you start to run some proper through the fron wheels,fine for a chipped car though.No rubbing,the handeling is along way from std,the std suspension even if its not knackered is dangerous!!!I will be putting the front springs and dampers up for sale in the next couple of months as i am going for a more track biased set up ,they have got many miles on and i am open to offers if anybody wants them?!Edited to say no problem with speed bumps belive me there is enough around where i live

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I could be interested if they'll fit my car mate so keep me in mind.....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok Fraz,they will fit its only the rear springs that differ between estates and saloons.There are also several sources of rear springs at whatever rate/length you want at very reasonable costs.

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers man, A like the height mine sits at (standard as far as Im aware) and its really similar to yours, Its just to spongey and it needs to be stiffer, A whole lot stiffer really, Was thinking leaving my springs and fitting Koni Adjustables to make it rock hard but dunno what to do, I dont want it to move really lol Let me know anyhoo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK folks time to put my money where my mouth is. Problem is that most people rave about the weitec, but the FK 60/40 is a full £94 cheaper :O And with more drop/£ it's very tempting.

What to do people?! I'm after better handling than stock, but would prefer to have better handling less drop rather than more drop worse handling. Weitecs: http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/l...hp/t46791.html

(PS plus new topmounts for good measure)
    Last edited by pzorb; Monday 7th August 2006 at 11:38.
    Martin

This user has no status

Thanks
    Those volvospeed guys swear by the weitec....not a bad review in sight on that link....

I really would like those on mine...if I can ever get the pennies together...it sounds to me as if the extra cash might be worth it??

Who supplies the weitec in the UK pzorb? and would you be going for the saloon kit or estate kit....I still cant work out why they all go for the opposite if you see what I mean??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yep totally. I tried getting weitec to sell me them from Germany, but no good. europerformance.co.uk is that price.

Re the saloon kit on the estates, the difference apparently is the drop only and doesn't affect the load carrying capacity - though that's probably ££££££££££. It's meant to handle better, but frankly I think I'll stick to the estate version if I buy weitec (they don't support the 850, only the V70; but should fit anyway). The weitec guys said to me that they'd swap the versions over if I wasn't happy for just the carridge charge.

But the thing is, are the FKs better? If I'm to spend money, I want to feel/see the difference.

There are hardly any reviews out there of the FK, although Elliott here (above) rates them but is selling them on.
    Martin

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah, sorry pzorb...I haven't seen anything written about the FK's either.

I remember an old thread where Redbrick had priced up the weitec's from Demon Tweeks.....do you think it'd be worth playing one against the other and getting a few quid off....you might end up with less than £90 difference?

Looking at the volvospeed thread I'd be tempted with the saloon kit (I also have an 855) as I'm not sure how much load you could get in the estate without rubbing when it seems to start so low in the first place...

Let us know how you get on as I'm really tempted to do this soon as well

Cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lol ok so if you vote give some reasons why Otherwise this might be a thread with 'get the weitecs' text and 'buy the fks' poll lol
    Martin

This user has no status

Thanks
    It`s worth a look at the SAM Steffensson site [ www.samsteffansson.se ] if you are thinking of upgrading your suspension. I bought their fast road set-up for my T5R estate and have been impressed with it. I also went for some adjustable camber bolts so that I could run with a touch of negative camber on the front.
    The car now has superb high stability and feels very 'planted' when pressing on, unfortunately these mods always have a downside and the car feels harsh on uneven surfaces at low speeds . It`s worth considering these compromises very carefully before doing any mods because you might end up spoiling your car.
    You pays your money and takes your choice.
    Bob

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob dixon
    You pays your money and takes your choice.
    That's right; FK look the best value both on price and drop, but the weitec's reputation precedes them. I don't want mega-low at the cost of handling; the whole reason for the upgrade is to lessen that 150mph boat feeling.
    Martin

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Mart, have not driven either of these suspension set ups and would not buy either, but elliot seems to know what he’s talking about, rebound , Leda on rear amongst other considerations I guess to counter understeer as opposed to using roll bar settings, but considering your budget why not buy his fronts if the dampers are ok and just have the new matching kit on the rear. Whatever you do junk your original dampers and try a drive in a few modified cars before parting with your wedge.
    Engineer

This user has no status

Thanks
    Pzorb

I reckon if you want to buy a spring and damper kit then go for the koni kit from larkspeed at 380 quid!They have adjustable rebound and apex spring swhich are nice and stiff and drop the car about the same as the FK kit.I have'nt tried the weitecs.
    Last edited by elliot; Monday 7th August 2006 at 20:58.

Thread Information