Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Synthetic Gearbox Oil

Hi all looking for some expert advice , i need to change the oil in my 97 s70
    T5 (manual) gearbox.Please correct me if i am wrong but i believe it is fully synthetic 5w/30 only available from volvo at a silly price per litre , anyway i can now buy a gallon of the new Vauxhall 5w/30 full synthetic longlife engine oil for around £11 through my trade account,will this be ok to use in box ? i mean its 5w/30 fully synthetic and oil is oil yes? Any advice or anybody tried using an alternative oil then ?
    regards
    mike....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi,
    i've said this before the volvo gearbox oil is 5w30 synthetic but it smells like gearbox oil [ep90]. ok engine oil may well be fine but i did not take that chance.
    yes the volvo stuff is bloody expensive but how much is a new gearbox!
    paul.

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    No, never use the engine oil for the g/box. The engine oil is having a vicosity grade of 30~50 whereas the g/box about 90 which is thicker. Even though both of them are oil you can't switch between the two.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,

Here's some expert advice:

DO NOT PUT VAUXHALL ENGINE OIL IN YOUR GEARBOX YOU WILL F*%$ IT UP !

The recommended oil for Volvo gearbox's is synthetic, but it is not a 5W30 engine oil, more like an EP (Extreme Pressure) 75W90.

Regards,
    Hamish.
    Chip Tuning Ltd.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    i went through this a while ago coudnt get any info from volvo uk regarding manual gearbox oil viscosity "just take it to your dealer" blah blah, finally got the info from volvo north america who were very helpfull ,it is a 5-30 synthetic, do not use a ep 75/90 what ever you do, if your still in doubt buy the genuine stuff of volvo i know its a rip off but you shoudnt need to change it for a good while and you will at least have peace of mind

Thread Information