PDA

View Full Version : My 4th!!! Cant leave em alone

Liddo
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 08:42
I tried...........I REALLY did try to buy something else, but I just couoldnt help myself :slap:

Sold my gorgeous C70 to The Saint (Andy) and then was MEANT to be going
all practical and getting a DERV of some sort, and looked at quite a few Passats, which where, quite frankly, over priced and under powered. Spent most of my Bank Holiday wasteing my time looking for a nice motor, and then THIS pops up! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/scoobylid/V70T5RearLeft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/scoobylid/V70Side.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/scoobylid/V70Interior.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/scoobylid/V70T5FrontRight.jpg

174,000 miles, but historyed up to the hilt and "mint" condition :D I pick it up on Friday :D

I cant think of any other car bettering the Volvo's! SOD the economy :D

BigJC
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 08:55
Thats a nice motor, and you made the right choice about not turning to the dark side.....aga's are for kitchens not cars!

rickbee
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 10:47
Yaaaay, glad to hear the force is still strong with you, looks like a great car. welcome to the 'removal van' arm of the club. How could you think of passat, shame on you lol

t5owner
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 11:15
Ahhh thats what you been up to then

Looked at the first pic and then dashed outside as i thought someone had half inched mine then realised yours is green

Nice looking beast you got there mate hopefully you`ll stick with it for awhile

Cheers

stuart

Liddo
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 11:35
Ahhh thats what you been up to then

Nice looking beast you got there mate hopefully you`ll stick with it for awhile

Yes, I'll keep it at LEAST 2 months, whilst spending a fortune on it, and selling it to buy another :D

At least I can go camping, and get the bikes on the back too :bounce:

Hmmmmmmmm, first mod, Comets, second mod, R Front bumper :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 12:20
Don't wanna pour rain on your parade but the distance to the moon (from Earth) is approx 250K miles - and you aint far off with that one? "Lots of History" - it better had be with that many miles? I hope you didnt pay too much for it?

I have to confess to being a bit cynical about buying a used Volvo with that many miles. I just hope all turns out well with it?

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 12:23
Don't wanna pour rain on your parade but the distance to the moon (from Earth) is approx 250K miles - and you aint far off with that one? "Lots of History" - it better had be with that many miles? I hope you didnt pay too much for it?

I have to confess to being a bit cynical about buying a used Volvo with that many miles. I just hope all turns out well with it?

Only 40000 miles to go for me then !!!! As long as he doesnt try launch it to the moon the way you tried with yer black one he'll be OK !!!!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 12:27
FB - your's has a different engine to the one it started with?

...and I was only aiming for the next county.

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 12:38
FB - your's has a different engine to the one it started with?.

fair play , and probz wings and doors too no doubt LOL

...and I was only aiming for the next county.

Just work on the flux capacitor in the silver beast and it will be different next time!!!

Jod T5
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 13:12
green and estate....the best volvo by far.......:wink:

Liddo
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 14:20
I hope you didnt pay too much for it?

I thought the miles where high, even for me, but at £2500 I thought it was a bargain, considering Ex-plod V70's go for that, and this one has had all new tyres, brakes, JUST had a major service and cambelt, and stacks of history.
It FEELS right, even though I havent seen it, I think Im gonna be happy. Fingers and Eyes crossed :D

lance
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 14:31
Looks a good motor,
I disagree with the millage thing I always think high miles and history is better than low miles & short runs! short runs can lead to early engine failure. Also cars that arnt used often rubber parts tend to fail.
Look at Nookie 180k on the clock and still producing 250 whp.
A 200k t5 could be no more knackered than a 50 k t5 thats done cold starts and not warmed up properley.
Also 5 cylinder engines are very well balanced and can take a lot more than most,I went in a Merc 250d 5 pot in Ireland with 960,000 on the clock on the original engine it was a taxi and still on the original engine infact it sounded as smooth and silent as a petrol engine , the owner changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles every few weeks.
Ussually engines fail for a reason and its not normally just down to miles but how it been cared for!
I hope to take my T5 to 200k plus , I change the oil every 5k and never exceed 3000 rpm till shes warmed up properely, I often take the longest route to do a very short jouney so shes not running cold too much.
I still think we will one day see a 500k T5 , I know of one with 430K! and have seen one with 370k, theres also a V70 in Notts with an MBC 230k and still on the original clutch and turbo , the guy bought as an ex demo from volvo.

Liddo
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 14:54
Looks a good motor,
I disagree with the millage thing I always think high miles and history is better than low miles & short runs! short runs can lead to early engine failure. Also cars that arnt used often rubber parts tend to fail.
A 200k t5 could be no more knackered than a 50 k t5 thats done cold starts and not warmed up properley.

Here Here! Well said Lance :D If I keep her long enough, she'll be getting the RICA treatment as soon as poss ;)

t5owner
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 15:02
Here Here! Well said Lance :D If I keep her long enough, she'll be getting the RICA treatment as soon as poss ;)

280 or 310 i`d probs ere on the 280 side due to the high miles but then it`s your car

Cheers

stuart

Liddo
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 15:05
280 or 310 i`d probs ere on the 280 side due to the high miles but then it`s your car

Cheers

stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes, I was thinking of the 280 anyway. Dont wanna kill the old girl. Dont want ANOTHER green T5 going pop :eek:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:28
Looks a good motor,
Also 5 cylinder engines are very well balanced and can take a lot more than most,I went in a Merc 250d 5 pot in Ireland with 960,000 on the clock on the original engine it was a taxi and still on the original engine infact it sounded as smooth and silent as a petrol engine , the owner changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles every few weeks.
Ussually engines fail for a reason and its not normally just down to miles but how it been cared for!
I hope to take my T5 to 200k plus , I change the oil every 5k and never exceed 3000 rpm till shes warmed up properely, I often take the longest route to do a very short jouney so shes not running cold too much.
I still think we will one day see a 500k T5 , I know of one with 430K! and have seen one with 370k, theres also a V70 in Notts with an MBC 230k and still on the original clutch and turbo , the guy bought as an ex demo from volvo.

Agree wholeheartedly!!!

x

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:32

Or you could buy a low mileage version (like your last 2) and still have to pay large sums of money on them!!!

2 of our T5's are at least double the mileage of your new one but you have already had a rather large bill (albeit one that you didn't have to pay most of) where as nothing has gone wrong *yet* with either of mine!!

I think sometimes your opinion can be a little off the mark.

x

Liddo
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 18:11
I think sometimes your opinion can be a little off the mark.
x

Time of the month ;)

Thanks Moppy :remybussi

JO5EPH
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 22:30
Looks nice mate, bet you cant wait! :cool:

Nice colour too ;)

pzorb
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 22:45
All this talk of engines exploding around 200k is bad for the market people! Wanna keep the value of the 850 T5 / P1 V70? Celebrate the mileage! Throw a party! :partysmil and not by taking it to the dealer and getting a new engine!

Nice one Liddo! You know it makes sense ;)

blackbooty
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 22:59
Liddo... life after turbo aint worth thinking about mate, i went that route once and was devastated. he he.
glad to hear you got yourself another one , looks lovely too.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 23:27
Moppy I did say "I hope all goes well with it". I mean that most sincerely. By Liddo's own admission - he hasnt even seen it yet?

Everyone knows I was stupid with the black one - so I dont have any leg to stand on when it comes to being sensible.

As you have pointed out the Silver one has had some repairs doen within a few weeks of purchase - namely the ETM failed. ETM can fail at anytime - and I would have walked away if the previous owner had not tried to cover it up - it is now fixed and I am happy with that. Its a known ME7 risk - it always has been.

Lance is right - there is every possibility that the higher mileage car will be fine - but I feel that the risks are higher that it will be more problematic? In the same way that I feel the ex-plod purchases are.

Ultimately if this is the right car for Liddo, then so be it.

pzorb
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 23:46
I feel that the risks are higher that it will be more problematic? I concur Wobbly. I'm sure for every good high miler there is, there are multiples in bad nick. Saying that, the scrappers on eBay seem to be around the 130-150K mark, so maybe once you pass that point either the car's been looked after well or it's literally on it's last legs? Food for thought. Make's celebrating the high milers even more worthy ;)

Liddo
Thursday 4th May 2006, 08:17
To be honest, I wouldnt of touched it with a barge pole, and IF it's not been described properly, I'll be jumping back on the train straight away.
BUT, the feeling I had about this one was good from the start. Not many 170k milers can be described as "mint", which, to my thinking, means its been looked after from day one. Full service history is amazing up to that mileage too. I asked all the questions, like knocking, tapping, crunching, smoke etc etc, and the reply was "EVERYTHING is smooth as silk".
The only things wrong with it, are a cracked foglight (no sh*t) but it still works and the roller blind in the boot is not as springy as it used to be!

As I say, if it aint as described, I walk away. I know ya cant always tell by
the photographs, bit it DOES look superb, and for £2500, I think its a snip.

Will keep ya posted.

Thanks for all the replys

:B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 4th May 2006, 08:27
I hope all goes well too.

The Saint
Thursday 4th May 2006, 08:31
Nice one Paul, glad you've managed to get yourself sorted without too much delay mate :)

Liddo
Thursday 4th May 2006, 08:56
Nice one Paul, glad you've managed to get yourself sorted without too much delay mate :)

Cheers matey

Hope its as nice as the C70 ;) but i doubt it :D
Still, got my Visa paid off, going to Florida, AND got a T5, so not bad eh ;)

Liddo
Thursday 4th May 2006, 08:57
I hope all goes well too.

Cheers Dave :Handshake

wacky racer
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:27
Hope the car turns out o.k, but be carefull.
I went and looked at a S70R that was in Autotrader described as "OUTSTANDING CONDTION"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Went there and it was a real dog! (150,000 miles)
Had full volvo service history,stamped up to date, serviced at main dealer the week before yet all service parts were non Volvo!
Also coolant bottle was empty.
Gaps around both front wings/ bonnet/ front doors were uneven and big enough to drive a bus through.
Hope you have better luck.

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:29
green and estate....the best volvo by far.......:wink:

deffo i love my green 854 was unsure about the colour even after i towed it back from bolton untill i gave him a good wash and a very good polish now love it to bits

Liddo
Saturday 6th May 2006, 17:37
Update:

Got the car last night, and guess what!!! It's not mint at all :slap:
The words "Dog Lover" spring to mind. F**kin hairs everywhere, mud stains all
over the back!! Corroded wheels, but not too bad, the odd little ding and chip, and the front disks are slightly warped.
Having said all that, I still paid the £2500 he wanted, as it is all cosmetic, and the car is mechanically perfect. Engine is sweet and quiet, gearbox is smooth, and clutch is fine. Everything works ok and its a CD model, so it has basically everything.
The trip back across the peaks on the Snake Pass was swift and peacefull.
All in all, Id still say its worth £2500 as Ive looked on the Trader, and the cheapest T5 is an Ex-Plod with 190,000 for £2995.

Im gonna give it the "Liddo" treatment this weekend, and it'll be near mint after that ;)

Onwards and Upwards

t5owner
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:02
Sounds like you got the bargin of the week mate dog hairs and mud is that all a swift attack with a dyson and some soapy water and she`ll be as good as new

Cheers

stuart