PDA

View Full Version : seat pre-tentioners?

CAMO
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 20:00
Does anyone know if a 1996 854R, has seat belt pre-tentions built into the SRS circuit. If they do, what type are they- mechanical, or gas cartridge?
Apparently i have the SRS (airbag light on), and the code points to the pre-tention circuit? I have looked at the seatbelt buckle that the belt fastens into, but can't see anything that would lead me to a pre-tentioner? The only other location that I can think of is the seat belt reel (which I have not looked yet).
Oh, and by the way the Airbag systems only have a 10year shelf life. This goes for every manufacturer!!!

T5ER
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 20:03
now i know this is totally different car but peugeot`s suffered the same problems it was the wiring under the drivers seat mate they used to chaffe every time you got in or out the drivers seat might be worth checking to see if there any wires under there

Rufe
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 21:47
they are definitely pyrotechnical on yours mate, and part of the seat belt reel itself (unlike some of the earlier models which had mechanical pre-tensioners as part of the buckle)

HTH simon :)

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 16:11
Pull the upper seatbelt cover and you should be abole to see it. I'm not sure if you can replace the canister on it's own. I'd be tempted to get a unit from Salvo or something and whilst your on the phone check on the safeest way to change it. You don't want it going off when your removing it.

PS - it is generally take the battery off for 30 mins before removing the steering wheel. It's probably the same for this......(but get some proper advice)..

Babybadger
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 16:48
I had the same and it was the wiring under the drivers seat, kids toys and all that. If the wire looks bent (towards 90ºish) then something has caught it and bent it, and could have broken the wire. If you are lucky, move the wire to a safe place under the seat and pin it with duct tape, then reset the B5 socket.