PDA

View Full Version : strange noises

flying brick
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 18:48
im getting strange noises from the front drivers side of my 850t5 its sounds sometimes like metal to metal rubbing as if a rubber bush was done .checked out underneath could not see anything it only happens when the car is driving i can bounce the car up and down when parked and there is no noise,what i have found is the top of the strut under the bonnet,on the drivers side i can turn the hole top of it round with my hand on the other side i can"t any ideas? cheers....john:confused:

blackbooty
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 21:16
just finnished (sort of) rebuilding a t5 , i swapped struts, springs, hub, calipers, track rod ends and drop links off a doner onto my crashed t5.
drove ok but was getting a clicking/banging whilst driving.
replaced drop links and track rod ends today and noise has gone.
not a rubbing noise but summit to think about.
the top mounts are also compleatly shot on her but giving no nasty noises.
wayne.

nikgallagher
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 12:59
Have you felt the spring seats up in the strut turrets from underneath? Get a torch in there and have a poke around. Mine were badly perished and the exposed metal was heavily corroded. Both struts should move a bit as they are seated in a bearing in that top mount but the tension in the coils should resist anything more than about 15 degrees. If your spring seats are gone the spring would be able to move round more than usual so could be that. Would agree with blackbooty that most noises coming from the front will most often be the anti-roll bar drop links. Is worth just changing them for £11 + VAT each side.
Out of interest, what sort of clearance have you got between the special washer and the top mount bearing?

flying brick
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:27
update on noise its more of a creaking sound when im driving , i have done both drop links last week, should the top of the strut under the bonnet below the nut there is like a round spacer with lips pointing down should it line up with round bit below it as you look down on it from directly above it as mine are around 5mm off centre?

blackbooty
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 22:38
im not really sure what you mean mate, but the struts/springs/top mounts only go together one way.
if both sides look the same , thats prob how they should be.
if one side looks different to the other, they may need replacing.
ill look at mine in daylight tmoz n let you know.