PDA

View Full Version : V70 R AWD Opnions

Broaders
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 15:24
Just wondering how the all wheel drive system stands up to modifying. ie rica / bsr, also which transmision suits the car the most or does it not matter.

I think I have heard stories of the system failing, is it exspensive to repair and are there any extra service items to check or keep an eye on. ?

Thanks

mikezero
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 18:03
Just wondering how the all wheel drive system stands up to modifying. ie rica / bsr, also which transmision suits the car the most or does it not matter.

I think I have heard stories of the system failing, is it exspensive to repair and are there any extra service items to check or keep an eye on. ?

Thanks

which version are we talking about, new one? or older one?

stuAWD
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 19:08
Had the 310 rica a while ago, no probs so far, still cant cant spin the wheels though because of the transfer box shifting the power front to back and visa versa.

Broaders
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 07:29
P1 version, just been trawling the old threads regarding the subject, is this tyre rotation the main cause of box failure ? Surely Volvo would not build a car the has such a big weakness if you don't rotate the tyres every month or so.

stuAWD
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 13:20
P1 version, just been trawling the old threads regarding the subject, is this tyre rotation the main cause of box failure ? Surely Volvo would not build a car the has such a big weakness if you don't rotate the tyres every month or so.
I think it scares people a little, that you might get a transfer box failure if you dont rotate the tyres/wheels front to back & visa versa. Its not that hard to do just changing wheels from front to back, and it only requires doing when your getting on towards 2mm differential in wear. 2mm is quite a bit of tread depth when you consider that the tread depth on new tyres is only approximately 6mm. BTW 2mm is a measurement that is bandied about a bit as a rule of thumb. The Volvo mech that I use has a rule of thumb that states, quote "dont let the front go bald" he's never had a transfer box fail. And to be honest, a motor that has done 100k+ even though it be a volvo, you should be expecting things to fail unless you have owned from new, and can be absolutely certain of its maintanence pedigree.
If your serious about owing an AWD, and are worried about the transfer box, on the test run before purchase, stop car at roadside, select sport mode, floor the throttle, there should be very little torque steer, and no wheel spin on a dry road, maybe a touch of wheel spin on a wet road. If you feel either condion to excess, walk away, its a fair bet that the transfer box is worn.
The logic behind the idea of the transfer box is that under normal driving conditions 95% of the power is directed to the front wheels, if any slipping is detected by the electronic gadgetry upto 95% of the power is transfered to the rear wheels, this all happens in milliseconds, and that is the reason you should be expecting very little torque steer or wheel spin.
Hope this helps you decide, go on go for it, you know want to.:B_steerin