PDA

View Full Version : t5 head gasket ?

st5ve
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 12:42
hi all, i wonder if anyone could advise me on what could be wrong with my pride and joy. its a 97 v7o t5 with 157k on the clock. a couple of weeks ago i noticed a fair bit of oil in the radiator expantion tank , automatically thought h/gasket and after a lot of grunting and swearing changed this along with all new belts , now the problem is back! . could it be something else such as the oil cooler or something?

shaun850
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 13:11
possibly a warped head, but you'd notice that straight away...

i'd do a compression check, when you replaced the h/g had it deffo gone?

st5ve
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 13:35
hi shaun gasket looked o.k when removed but couldnt think of anything else at the time

MWT5
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 16:25
Had Headgasket Failure On A 205 Gti. Gasket Blew Between The Oil And Water Ways And Not The Cylinders Which Produced The Same Symptoms You Had. Did You Have The Head Checked To See If It Needed Skimming?

BlackBeast
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 16:38
Did You Have The Head Checked To See If It Needed Skimming?

Any time you take the head off you should at least get it checked to see if its straight. As shaun 850 said above, do a compression test before taking the head off again.

NugentS
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 17:07
hi all, i wonder if anyone could advise me on what could be wrong with my pride and joy. its a 97 v7o t5 with 157k on the clock. a couple of weeks ago i noticed a fair bit of oil in the radiator expantion tank , automatically thought h/gasket and after a lot of grunting and swearing changed this along with all new belts , now the problem is back! . could it be something else such as the oil cooler or something?

Could be the radiator as they have an oil cooler inside and failure here can mix the oil and water...

Sean

pault5
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 17:10
hi,
yes it is not uncommon for the radiator with built in oil cooler to be leaky.

st5ve
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 17:54
i have no loss of power , would this point more towards oil cooler than h/ gasket, thanks all

poochingaround
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 18:35
You must carry out both a cylinder compression test and a coolant system pressure test to ascertain where the problem lies .If when head gasket was initially changed you appeared to have eradicted the fault then it is as previously stated highly likely that your cylinder head is warped.This would not be evident solely by a visual check.This would require surface grinding .

BigJC
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 18:49
Get a sniff test done, this examines the gases present in the coolant. I'd get the rad checked, my old 854 T5 had a faulty radiator which mixed the oil & coolant and caused overheating on the odd occaision.
New rad, all smiles!!

blackbooty
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 21:06
saab 2.3 turbo's have a habit of cracking the head between the valves which mixes the fluids (had experience of this one) and theres next to no power decrease.

st5ve
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 21:12
thanks guys , will get all checks done & keep you posted. fingers crossed its the rad ! cheers.