PDA

View Full Version : 'go faster' rear spoiler

Mark2cars
Monday 1st May 2006, 21:19
For those of you with a home wind tunnel - Does the rear spoiler on a V70 really do anything?
The one someone has put on my recentl;y bought T5 is obviously a home made effort and actually obscures the rear high brake light. Looks OK from a distance but would be a bit embarrasing under close inspection.
Do original spoilers have a built in brake light / are they easy to fit if I find one?
Thanks, Mark

Vikingxl
Monday 1st May 2006, 22:07
Some spoilers have a brake light and some dont post a piccy of yours so we can have a look.Heres one of mine if its of any help.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 16:08
If they do anything it'll be at speeds above the national limit. I've taken mine off....boring, I know....

MWT5
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 16:15
Fitted A Rear Spoiler To My V70 T5,after Loads Of Swearing And Throwing Of Spanners Posted A Thread On The Forum To Find Out That The Mounting Brackets Just Fit Around The Boot Hinges And Double Sided Tape Accually Hold The Spoiler In Position.
Is Your T5 New Shape Or Old.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 18:35
hi
i dont think the spoiler has any performance qualitys or downforce assistance but i know its only there to keep the rear screen clear,
iv adjusted mine so its angled up at the rear so now it looks like its doing something,probably isnt but if i think it is-----then it is---hahaha,
& it doesnt look like all the other volvos,

Mark2cars
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 21:37
Yep, mine's on a new shape X reg, but is obviously an afterthought as it is really badly finished around the edges. Surely the police would't have used something so naff. I guess someone took a moulding off a 'real' one. It's dark now so I can't get a photo of it on for you to laugh at (phew) - I think I'll take it off until I find a proper one with a brake light in it.

Just keeping the rear screen clean is reason enough to have it - I thought it may ad 1/2 an mpg or so also?
Thanks,
Mark

PS.. Looking for roof rails, but those on e-bay are up to £150 already!!

T5ER
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 22:03
Some spoilers have a brake light and some dont post a piccy of yours so we can have a look.Heres one of mine if its of any help.

i do love that car rich maybe one day i will be able to afford one

t5 stealth
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 22:19
since i adjusted my spoiler at an angle my rear screen does get a lot more filthy,but im more concerned about wots in front of me,
plus i have a rear wiper so to hell with the rear window hahaha,

T5ER
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 22:21
since i adjusted my spoiler at an angle my rear screen does get a lot more filthy,but im more concerned about wots in front of me,
plus i have a rear wiper so to hell with the rear window hahaha,

you only need to keep the rear screen if you are doing high speed reversing

t5 stealth
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 22:30
lol