PDA

View Full Version : SS Braided Brake Hose

glock19
Monday 21st March 2005, 04:17
Anyone using Stainless Steel braided brake hoses here ? Is it much, much better than the OEM rubber hoses ?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st March 2005, 10:06
I believe that VT uses Goodridge SS lines on their brake upgrade (Woohoo!).

glock19
Monday 21st March 2005, 10:39
Thanks but any personal experiences ? What about you Dave ?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st March 2005, 10:45
Still using the rubber ones. I have the Brembo and Ferodo combo (too many O's) - Good side - no fade and very sharp. Bad side they squeak like a barstool

Ivan
Monday 21st March 2005, 18:43
Still using the rubber ones. I have the Brembo and Ferodo combo (too many O's) - Good side - no fade and very sharp. Bad side they squeak like a barstool

Get some copper grease on em!!!

I thought I had a cat wound round the rear brakes for a few weeks!!
Cleaned em up, bit of copper grease on the anti-squeal shims - quiet as a mouse now.

glock19
Monday 21st March 2005, 23:39
Do you follow the recommendation of changing both the rotors and the pads as a whole once either one of them wears off ? The last round, I only changed the pads and they squeaks if the pedal is not pressed hard enough. Reason given was that the rotors are not evenly worn and when the pads are new, the sides of the pads are hitting the uneveness of the rotors.

I feel it's a waste when the rotor wear is still below the minimum mark.

dj_rog
Thursday 24th March 2005, 14:36
I have got SS brake hose.
My original rubber ones were perished so I replaced them. It was cheaper to go SS than get the rubber onese from Volvo.

Any difference? Not that I have noticed really. Look quite nice though... :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th March 2005, 14:55
Glock, you need not replace the rotors as often as the pads. I think that is the point. If the rotors are badly lipped, cracked or compromised in any other obvious way then replace. It is generally ill-advised to break in a new set of pads and change the rotors afterwards, i.e. if you are going to change the disks then change the pads at the same time.

I have found a way to stop the squeak with the harder compound pads. Self-adhesive silicon shims, attached to the back of the pads! I also re-shamferred the pads and put copper slip on - just to make sure.
My car has never been so quiet.

pault5
Thursday 24th March 2005, 17:03
got them on mine, no noticable difference though only fitted to the front.
good fun getting the old ones off!
the rears are hard to get to.

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 20:05
Hi, got a set from VT when upgrading my front discs to 302mm because the volvo part for the larger disc was very tight at full lock, never noticed a difference until fitting the rear hoses as well then maybe the pedal a little harder ?