PDA

View Full Version : Uprated suspension options...

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st May 2006, 03:07
For my next trick I''ve got to improve the handling of my car on the track.

With my exit speed being hampered by the boat like roll and the ABS playing hell at Ty-Croes the other day, it signified that something needs to be done.
I'm thinking that I'll probably going to opt for fully adjustable suspension, so I'm expecting a bill in excess of £1000.

So a quick discussion for everyone :
1. What options are available (KW, KONI...etc)?
2. What suspension options seem to work well ?
3. What suspension optons should I avoid ?

and any other experiences people have had with any of the products, please write a small review...

N.B. - Suppliers and costs please.....

TwistedSanity
Monday 1st May 2006, 07:53
Just fitted a koni sports package(gas adjustable) to my 850, cost £450 for parts and an afternoon to fit it, luverly

fireclown
Monday 1st May 2006, 11:14
hi just fitted bilstein sport shocks (fleabay 270 all new result)and poly whishbone bushes.(of the forum 55 all in result again) still on standard springs at the mo. shocks were easy. bushes were a pain but well worth the effort but all in all a vast improvement.

BlackBeast
Monday 1st May 2006, 11:54
Im planning Koni yellow shocks with eibach springs, IPD ARB's, QBM drop links, QBM wishbone bushes with QBM engine and box mounts.

BigJC
Monday 1st May 2006, 12:08
Is there a UK IPD dealer? I keep hearing about their ARB's but the states seems the only place to buy em.

BlackBeast
Monday 1st May 2006, 14:21
Is there a UK IPD dealer? I keep hearing about their ARB's but the states seems the only place to buy em.

I havent heard of an UK dealer. Would be great if somebody did become a distrubutor though.

Engineer
Monday 1st May 2006, 14:56
Leda C/O's as your building a track car.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st May 2006, 16:57
Poly wishbone bushes are already on order.
Custom adjustable droplinks are coming from the US as soon as I sort out the import tax etc..

I've heard lots about the Leda set-up but I've not heard of anyone that has tried them on a Road/track Volvo. Does anyone have any more info/site..?

So at the moment the options seem to be :
KW
KONI
Bilstein
Leda

There's also Kalmer Union's own suspension system....anyone tried it..?

any more options/suppliers/costs/reviews...?

BlackBeast
Monday 1st May 2006, 17:14
Custom adjustable droplinks are coming from the US as soon as I sort out the import tax etc..

Who are you getting them from???

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st May 2006, 17:38
"Adjustable droplinks -VMS" (http://www.volvomotorsports.com/volvo1/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=89&osCsid=440789d5844b0f732ca6be444374c5de)

these ones...there coming as a sample unit to save a bit of tax...possibly

elliot
Monday 1st May 2006, 17:58
GAZ might be worth a chat to.I have LEDA rear dampers and have for around 3 years now and they have been great.They are adjustable bump and rebound to a fixed ratio,and can be custom valved,mine have be valved for the road but can be made very hard.From day to day i drive around on settings 4 up to 10 and they go to 24 :).I did'nt go for the fronts as i did'nt have the cash at the time wish i had though.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st May 2006, 18:08
GAZ might be worth a chat to.I have LEDA rear dampers and have for around 3 years now and they have been great.They are adjustable bump and rebound to a fixed ratio,and can be custom valved,mine have be valved for the road but can be made very hard.From day to day i drive around on settings 4 up to 10 and they go to 24 :).I did'nt go for the fronts as i did'nt have the cash at the time wish i had though.

whose GAZ..?
Where did you get them from..?
What did you pay? Or if thats sensitive info.. how much are they at standard price..?

Babybadger
Monday 1st May 2006, 18:16
Im planning Koni yellow shocks with eibach springs, IPD ARB's, QBM drop links, QBM wishbone bushes with QBM engine and box mounts.

Who the hell are QBM?

elliot
Monday 1st May 2006, 20:01
whose GAZ..?
Where did you get them from..?
What did you pay? Or if thats sensitive info.. how much are they at standard price..?

Gaz make suspension and i am pretty sure the kit that don now sells not 100% sure though phone them and have a chat to them. I have'nt tried any of there stuff but have heard good things,think the chap who started it up used to work for LEDA.
I have the LEDA rear dampers and think they are very good and have'nt had any problems with them over the last 3 years.Cannot rember what i paid got them direct from LEDA though.

QBM is short for quick brick motorsports they have a website if you google it.

Redbrick
Monday 1st May 2006, 20:57
Well as you know I run KW varient 2 coilovers... how can I put it... an aquired taste!! lol

The only problem at the moment and the real irritating thing is the high speed bounce. Apparantly the KW varient 3 is adjustable for this.

For fast smooth roads I think IMHO they are awesome.

I know your a long way away but you are welcome to try them before shelling out your hard earned £££.

Phil Wright (green 855 T-5R) formerly of the VOC runs the full Leda set up from Kalmar Union.

Andy

BlackBeast
Monday 1st May 2006, 21:22
Who the hell are QBM?

QBM aka QuickBrickMotors are a small company based in the USA. The owner is on the VolvoSpeed forum, his username is Slater, he and his products are rated very highly on VS. He only sells a few products, but those he does sell are better than anything on the market (bushes/mounts) made specifically for our volvos. I will definately be getting his suspension bushes and engine/box mounts.

http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/index.html

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 01:27
...I found this post earlier... The QBM thing has been three months in the making...wow that's a long time......

Anyway.... I finally plumped for suspension. I went for the cheaper option of KONI yellows for the time being as I'm looking for Seats and other bits and bobs. It was a compromise on the front set that was on Ebay today. All I need now it the rears.

So what I need now is suppliers of KONI components.
I've found PFV £85.....(I'll have to see about the VPCUK discount..?)
and EuropeanPerformance.co.uk £79...

Anybody a friend of a supplier who can get them cheaper..?...just thought i'd ask...

barberecpw
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 18:15
just my 2 pence worth.

hi judge, this chap has a nice 850 in sweden i think it is, he has KW coilovers. The point being that serious effort has been put into this car, and suspension would have been looked at closely.

http://www.turbobricks.com/feature.php?content=spring_05

when i went to demon tweeks last, their cheapest kit was £950. Cant remember the brand tho, was at the begining of the year.

ed

After_Shock
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 18:25
I had the KW Variant 2's on my C70, road holding was brilliant but the stiffness was over the top for road use I found, im looking for a suspension set up on my next C70 and the KW's aernt on the list.

If you can live with the stiffness or go on track I would put them at the top of the list as after 18months their wasnt a single sign of corrosion or wear on them. Also as mentioned the Variant 3's could be a better option as they offer greater adjustability.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 00:40
Cheers for the info, but if you read my last post carefully you'll see that i've already bought the KONI front legs. I would love to go for the KW option or the set up SW Autos are selling, but I got these brand new front legs cheap.

So now I'm looking for 2 x "KONI yellow" rear shockers...

After_Shock
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 07:54
Cheers for the info, but if you read my last post carefully you'll see that i've already bought the KONI front legs. I would love to go for the KW option or the set up SW Autos are selling, but I got these brand new front legs cheap.

So now I'm looking for 2 x "KONI yellow" rear shockers...

Read nearly all of them apart from the last few posts!

barberecpw
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 08:23
Read nearly all of them apart from the last few posts!

lol

Babybadger
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 11:11

I've heard lots about the Leda set-up but I've not heard of anyone that has tried them on a Road/track Volvo. Does anyone have any more info/site..?

So at the moment the options seem to be :
KW
KONI
Bilstein
Leda

There's also Kalmer Union's own suspension system....anyone tried it..?

any more options/suppliers/costs/reviews...?

Phone stuart at swautos in kent, he said he has some custom made coilovers that they work out the specific nose weight on each corner to get the right damping. I think he quoted me £1200 all in and fitted. It didn't float my boat, but as you are a track day man, it might be what you are after. You could sell the Koni's you have at a profit and get a professional setup for extra cash.

I think I am going for the Koni FSD's when funds permit, along with eibach springs, as I don't do the track days, but would love to sort the jelly wobbling in the corners out

barberecpw
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 17:40
more links.. (link is for Volvo 850)

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/search_car/product.mhtml?car=volvo850

a HUGE range of coilover kits for all cars. Most ive seen so far by a mile. And springs dampers alike. (link is for all coilovers, all cars..check em out)

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_sub_results.mhtml?category=suspn&sub_category=coiloverkits