PDA

View Full Version : replacing 2.5 ltr with 2.0 ltr..

barberecpw
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:03
Hi all,

im thinking of replacing the t5 engine at some point with the 2.0 version, with carbs ..is it a straight swap with the engine ...or differant engine mounts and gearbox etc??

ted

Mrsmopp
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:04
WHY!?

x

barberecpw
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:07
..well, because i perfer normaly asperated cars...other reasons, but that mainly. ...oh, to get 290bhp is the target should that happen.

Mrsmopp
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:08
So why buy a T5??

x

Andrew
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:09
Nothing to do with the BTCC engine then ?

Mrsmopp
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:11
I have heard the question asked many a time about swapping a t5 into a 2ltr or 2.5ltr but never the other way round!!! A first!!\lol

x

Andrew
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:12
I have heard the question asked many a time about swapping a t5 into a 2ltr or 2.5ltr but never the other way round!!! A first!!\lol

x

Don't you mean a 2.0/2.5ltr into a t5 ?
as in trade up ? not down as he wishes to do ?

Mrsmopp
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:13
Don't you mean a 2.0/2.5ltr into a t5 ?
as in trade up ? not down as he wishes to do ?

No, I mean what I said lol. :confused:

x

Andrew
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:15
No, I mean what I said lol. :confused:

x

Oh but that's what he asked hence I'm confused.
Oh well it's late and I've been drinking so I'll just accept whatever you say my dear.

:saythat:

barberecpw
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:15
..as a kid, turbo. As a driver, nope, no way. I love my car Mrs mopp, with the turbo or not. .. The hope was that the 2.0 5 cyl was over bored to 2.3 - 2.5??

to clarify..im saving weight. and so on and so forth

Mrsmopp
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:17
Oh but that's what he asked hence I'm confused.
Oh well it's late and I've been drinking so I'll just accept whatever you say my dear.

:saythat:

No he asked about fitting a 2ltr engine into a T5, I said I had heard the question asked about fitting a T5 into a 2/2.5ltr but never the way round he wants to do it!!!

Have another drink kidda ;) lol

x

barberecpw
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:22
seriously is it a swapsy??

Andrew
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:48
Have another drink kidda ;) lol

x

*hiccup*
:cuckoo:

:beer:

BlackBeast
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:54
The hope was that the 2.0 5 cyl was over bored to 2.3 - 2.5??

Change the pistons on the T5 engine to high compression ones, and i can imagine you could swap the head for a carb'ed one, and get some high lift cams.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st May 2006, 00:21
It it totally possible, but you have a few considerations to make :

Emission control - All 850's are Injection (even the BTCC ones). If you wanted to put Carbs on you'd have to get pretty friendly with the MOT station to control the emissions. One way round would be to Q plate it so you only follow the old regulations

Many custom parts required - Assuming you want to go down the Webber route, with a volvo engine being 5cylinders you'd probably have to look at individual throttle bodies. Balancing these would be a nightmare. you'd be re-tuning each one every time there is a change in the weather. And there's the custom manifold you'd need....

If you wanted to do it we'd all love to see the progress as you do it, but unless you own your own engineering shop and design technicians prepare for a lot of trial and error manufacturing, which could be expensive....

but since it's not my money.....go for it......!!!! good luck....

barberecpw
Monday 1st May 2006, 08:43
It it totally possible, but you have a few considerations to make :

Emission control - All 850's are Injection (even the BTCC ones). If you wanted to put Carbs on you'd have to get pretty friendly with the MOT station to control the emissions. One way round would be to Q plate it so you only follow the old regulations

Many custom parts required - Assuming you want to go down the Webber route, with a volvo engine being 5cylinders you'd probably have to look at individual throttle bodies. Balancing these would be a nightmare. you'd be re-tuning each one every time there is a change in the weather. And there's the custom manifold you'd need....

If you wanted to do it we'd all love to see the progress as you do it, but unless you own your own engineering shop and design technicians prepare for a lot of trial and error manufacturing, which could be expensive....

but since it's not my money.....go for it......!!!! good luck....

...thanks for the advise!.. even if not down the carb route, then a tuned 2.0 ltr with 250-290 ish. Less torque, but then the car weighs a lot less, so. I saw a 2.0 on ebay for 150 squid,..

I love the new look of your motor by the way.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st May 2006, 17:25
if you've got the time and are willing to make the effort then go for it... be prepared for a lot of work.

I'd probably get some advice from some where like VolvoTuning or SW Autos on the ECU. According to the bible (Haynes) the wiring looms look identical, so engine swap and matching ECU and you should be away....possibly..????

there's probably loads of other things to consider but you'll only come across them as you do it....