PDA

View Full Version : clutch Problem Please help

Lee
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:02
I have been enjoying the t5 life but with the running cost of a small euro box thanks to lpg.

Yesterday I was playing a pushing the t5 a bit racing with a Audi S4 around some nice b road and all was great.

Get home and the missis take the t5 out to go and visit family. When she gets back in the car and depresses the clutch the pedal remains on the floor. She pulled it back up and allowed it to sttle for a few minutes before depressing it again and having the exact same outcome. She tried this a few times, but each time same result. She looked under the same and saw a large puddle. At this point she calls me and i go over. I confirmed that the fluid on the car was brake fluid. I then left here with the other car and drove the t5 back with no clutch (always fun) park it up and leave it.
Today I have moved the t5 on to the drive and took a look. I noticed that there was fluid leaking from somewhere as i pulled on to the drive, so i jacked it up and saw that it appeard to be leaking around the slave cylinder. On removing and inspecting the seal it seemed fine, but the cylinder was a bit dirty inside.I clean it and refitted. Opened the bleed nipple and attempted to bleed the clutch but as before the pedal was on the floor. I picked it up and pushed it back down and no fluid came out of the slave cylinder or the bleed nipple. So this would seem to point to the master cylinder. But all the brakes are still fine.

Not sure what to do next please help as missis needs car on tuesday as she is an estate agent.

T5ER
Sunday 30th April 2006, 23:06
sounds like the slave cylinder has ££££ed out mate on the gearbox i have a brand new spare if you want £75.00 but get it checked by a dealer first if you want,then if you want it send me a pm with vehicle details.It fits my 96 854 T5 and also a 97 855 R

Lee
Monday 1st May 2006, 15:04
I am now going to go and attempt to bleed the clutch. I have heard that this can take a while to do.

If the slave is still leaking then i will replace it. Thats for the offer T5ER but i already have a new one lined up.

Oh joy its raining to

The Flying Banana
Monday 1st May 2006, 15:42
I am now going to go and attempt to bleed the clutch. I have heard that this can take a while to do.

If the slave is still leaking then i will replace it. Thats for the offer T5ER but i already have a new one lined up.

Oh joy its raining to

Same thing happened to me, if you get someone to manually work the clutch you will see the fluid release as the hydraulic rod to the clutch arm takes up the pressure. I replaced it anyway as it was the original, more awkward than hard but the bleeding of the clutch is a pain, try and get one of the self bleed canisters ( the one that attaches to the air valve on tyre or a smaill compressor ) pleeeenty fluid as it drops rapidly !!!

Lee
Monday 1st May 2006, 16:52
I am going to get a new slave tomorrow. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I am going to replace the fluid with dot 5.1 as well. I have had good results with this in the past

Jod T5
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 13:30
very interesting....i had exactly the same problem even down to the growler driving the car at the fateful moment....my mechanic lol replaced the slave and then discovered a pipe located under the battery had fractured, a flexi one if i recall, and for six quid got a new one, went 50/50 on the slave as it was prob in need of replacement
good luck
cheers jod

Lee
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 02:30
sorry its been so long for me to close this topic and now go and boost it to the topof the form but this could help others.

I changed the slave which cost £55+vat from gsf pressure bled the system and now all is good.

next up is doing the wishon buhes replacing with powerflex.

woz
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 21:32
check out the thread on the other forum on here
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t10089-qbm-group-buy.html
may save some dosh to help fund the new slave!!