PDA

View Full Version : Airbags..?

samsplums
Saturday 29th April 2006, 08:58
I've always been led to believe that airbags are good, however in (many) recent conversation with peeps I have been told otherwise.

I'm not refering to the side ones just the "up front" ones.

Does anyone know or have any experience in "using" them? :confused:

splatt
Saturday 29th April 2006, 11:39
What have you been told?

They are good in my experience.. but they are a supplementary restraining system (hence the SRS) and seat belts should be worn.
Without seatbelts they can cause massive injuries.

samsplums
Saturday 29th April 2006, 12:14
Just general horror stories of how they cause more injuries than save lives...:confused:

oliwally
Saturday 29th April 2006, 13:15
When I Was In Hospital There Were Some Good And Bad Things About Them.
Saw Loads Of Facial Injurys,From Loss Of Eyes From Wearing Sun Glasses,Burns From The Fabric And One Were The Girl Had Just Taken A Drink From A Can Of Something And Hit The Back Of A Parked Car,She Ended Up With A Broken Jaw.
There Were A Couple Of Lads Who Had A Head On With Another Car Coming Over A Brow Of A Hill And They Survived Because Of Them.
Personally I Dont Like Them,Anything That Explodes In Front Of Your Face Aint Good

siamblue
Saturday 29th April 2006, 13:41
I heard of a small lady in the States that it broke her neck beause of the airbag flap, hit her,
But nothing else in general,

Gary.

Rufe
Saturday 29th April 2006, 14:02
to put it simply would you rather some serious injuries or be dead? they should only go off when really needed (which is why people complain they hadnt even gone off when they had a bad crash... though they were still alive so obviously were not needed).

pzorb
Saturday 29th April 2006, 14:30
With the age of some of our vehicles, surely there is some kind of service these items require? A T5 in 1996 might have had a good airbag, but over the years how can one be sure the device isn't more of a danger due to it reacting slower / perished airbags / siezed parts etc?

t5 stealth
Saturday 29th April 2006, 14:53
unfortunatly even if you dont get to use ur airbag they do have a use by date,
i think its approx 10 years they are supposed to be replaced,
i think most injurys are caused because people(mostly women)
sit so dam close to the steering wheel the think hasnt got the space to deploy in time b4 the human makes contact with the exploding bag & wheel cover,
i personally think they are a waste of time but they have been proven to save a life or 2 so it cant b bad,
but with most modern crap thrown on cars its all a big hype to sell the car but wen u actually get to use it it aint all its cracked up to be,
they are a pain in the ar#e wen u work on them aswell as they seem to put the light on if u even fart near it,

M44K TS
Saturday 29th April 2006, 17:17
i think its approx 10 years they are supposed to be replaced

This is true, my 850 has the sticker on the drivers door shut with the dates for the airbags to be serviced, Mine was meant to be done in Jan this year, ooops

pzorb
Saturday 29th April 2006, 17:34
Mine was meant to be done in Jan this year, ooopsWhat's the expected £££ damage (any Volvo dealer peeps know)?

siamblue
Saturday 29th April 2006, 17:52
i think its approx 10 years they are supposed to be replaced,

Whilst stripping my S70 down the passenger and the Whips both had use by date or service dates on them of 1998, so it is indeed 10 years,

Gary,

splatt
Saturday 29th April 2006, 19:34
Its a Volvo thing.....never heard of it elsewhere,,,

Rufe
Saturday 29th April 2006, 21:27
regarding prices for changing the air bag components, expect them to be very expensive. the serviceable items are:

- driver's airbag module
- passenger airbag module
- seat belts with pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners
- SIPS (side impact protection system ) module
- IC (inflatable curtain) module.

on cars that have had an air bag deployed in an accident, we have supplied all of the above and more, including steering wheel, contact reel and all crash sensors, regardless if directly affected (this is the right way to do it, according to volvo procedure). there will be cars written off prematurely because of this, i have no doubt, as the costs of changing all of the above mount up to a lot of money.

and allthough there is a service life of 10 years for airbag components, i have never actually heard of anyone changing these because of age though, i will add.

oliwally
Sunday 30th April 2006, 00:55
Its a Volvo thing.....never heard of it elsewhere,,,
Rover Say 10 Years And Newer Fords 15 Years. The Exsplosive Charge Deteriorates Over Time And May Never Go Off Or Just Deploy On Its Own.