PDA

View Full Version : ecu upgrade

abdul
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:10
does avolvo v70 t5 1997 and a volvo v70 r 1997 have the same ecu and would i be able to swap it around from 1 car to the other if i have a ecu upgrade on 1 of them

Andrew
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:18
does avolvo v70 t5 1997 and a volvo v70 r 1997 have the same ecu and would i be able to swap it around from 1 car to the other if i have a ecu upgrade on 1 of them

Different turbos I believe so ECU wouldn't control the engine properly. Why would you want to do this by the way ?

If you want more power consider a RICA, MTE or one of the various others.

I recently got a custom RICA now have ~280bhp at the wheels.

abdul
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:25
i have a v70 t5 which ihave converted to gas ialso have av70r which i want to get a ecu upgrade and if iwanted change the ecu now again i could

Wobbly Dave
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:28
Sounds like a sure fire way to damage your engine.

Andrew
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:33
Sounds like a sure fire way to damage your engine.

Agreed
We had a recent member who's mismatched ECU/Turbo combo killed his engine - don't do the same...

Get it mapped properly.
Ac.

volvotuning
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:54
I'm not sure the R would even start up if you swapped the ECU from the T5.

Adam.

siamblue
Friday 28th April 2006, 09:24
Agreed
We had a recent member who's mismatched ECU/Turbo combo killed his engine - don't do the same...

Get it mapped properly.
Ac.

Andrew who was this? and what were they running?

Hi Abdul I know that on a MTE map the T5 will not take a R map, as it has something to do with the imobiliser and cuts the engine as soon as you try to start it, Can't say for any other tuner as i don't know,
But i have run a race map 18T turbo map on my 16T S70 and it worked, and boy did she pull,

Gary,

t5owner
Friday 28th April 2006, 11:37
Andrew who was this? and what were they running? Gary,

Mmmmmm ,

Could actually be refering to you gary and your slight mishap at avon park

Cheers

stuart

Wobbly Dave
Friday 28th April 2006, 12:30
Andrew who was this? and what were they running?

Hi Abdul I know that on a MTE map the T5 will not take a R map, as it has something to do with the imobiliser and cuts the engine as soon as you try to start it, Can't say for any other tuner as i don't know,
But i have run a race map 18T turbo map on my 16T S70 and it worked, and boy did she pull,

Gary,
Please dont try to convince us that using mismatched software/hardware is good for your car, PLEASE :slap:

Engineer
Friday 28th April 2006, 20:08
Abdul hope you are well, forget the ECU swaps though your two cars are not compatible, some are, but not yours. :slap:

Lighten up WD, Gaz is only stating an opinion on what he has tried and then posting the facts, things ain’t always what they seem lol. ;)

siamblue
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:23
Please dont try to convince us that using mismatched software/hardware is good for your car, PLEASE :slap:

Not trying to convince anything, just don't want any slanderous lies flying about. I know what caused the rods to bend and so do 3 other people.

Gary,

So I'll ask again who was it Andrew? and where did you get the facts.

Andrew
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:46
Not trying to convince anything, just don't want any slanderous lies flying about. I know what caused the rods to bend and so do 3 other people.

Gary,

So I'll ask again who was it Andrew? and where did you get the facts.

Slanderous lies?? calm down bud!

Andrew
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:53
Slanderous lies?? calm down bud!

and yes I was referring to you - I was under the impression you replaced your MBC with a standard boost controller and the ECU caused a spike on your 18T hybrid which bent your rods.....

If I'm wrong then I appologise but if your going to get *that* upset about it - then *sue me* - life is tough enough with out that sort of *££££* here.

peepo :mgshoot:

:welcome:

Al115
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:57
Calm down guys. We are all one happy Volvo family here - especially the East Anglia lot LOL :)

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 23:05
yes peeps please calm down but as to swapping ecu`s please do not do it as it will not work and you may end up picking bits of the T5 engine up of the tarmac and nobody wants to see that happen. Siamblue and Andrew the replies are not ment to be aimed towars anyone and were just a figure of speach so lets not fall out as at the end of the day this forum relies on us all for our inputs and advice to help us others,hey peeps come on lets all just chill get on and have a laugh

Tomcat
Friday 28th April 2006, 23:11
:hug: Well said, we dont need any more of our regulars getting band.

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 23:29
:hug: Well said, we dont need any more of our regulars getting band.

EXACTLY

Justin
Saturday 29th April 2006, 08:40

Ok Gary, for the benefit of us all who think the way your upgrade was done was ridiculous and the wrong software was used, please enlighten us.

If your are going to start using the word liebel on my site mate you better have something to back it up. Ultimately i am the one that will be sue'd for liebellous remarks on the site, so bring it on. And that goes for anyone else reading this. :icon_soap

blackbooty
Saturday 29th April 2006, 09:48
me thinks..... kisses n cuddles are needed.

siamblue
Saturday 29th April 2006, 13:36
Ok Gary, for the benefit of us all who think the way your upgrade was done was ridiculous and the wrong software was used, please enlighten us.

If your are going to start using the word liebel on my site mate you better have something to back it up. Ultimately i am the one that will be sue'd for liebellous remarks on the site, so bring it on. And that goes for anyone else reading this. :icon_soap

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions here,
That wasn't aimed at you Andrew,
I just wanted to know where you got the info from that the map MTE on my car blew the engine up,
The last thing we need on here is for MTE to start asking questions about why my map blew the engine up, when that isn't the case, hence the Libel remark, people can get sued on the net now,
and yes we all do get on here on VPCUK, and will continue too,

My standard BCS caused my problems and nothing else,

Gary.

Anyway i got to go out and finish taking the engine and gearbox out of the S70,

Andrew
Saturday 29th April 2006, 14:44
I think the original message from you Gary was a little unclear on your motives and now you've explained to me personally I'm much happier.

:Handshake

J. I don't think Gary had anything but concern for us and the site when he made his comments and was more worried about a third party getting access to information that may allow them to take legal action against us and the site. So he was looking out for us all.

Gary - I'd personally like to appologise to you - you're a good friend and I wouldn't want to loose that over a misunderstanding. I flew of the handle towards the end of a long and ££££ty week. Regarding the problem with your car - If my infomation was not correct then, again, I'll appologise for that too.

Let's forget the whole thing and get the thread back on track.

:B_steerin

I think the answer to the original question is that a) if you swap the ecus then it might not work anyway (even start that is) and if it does then b) a fair few of us would be worried something may happen to your engine and finally c) if you want extra power your should get a proper remap of some description be it MTE, Rica or one of the others.

Andrew.

siamblue
Saturday 29th April 2006, 18:28
It's ok everyone, I did want to know what had been said, but with things flying around it does get out of hand time to time, and I don't need any aggro,
I have Im'ed Andrew and things are just as they were before this thread,

Gary,:)