PDA

View Full Version : Heater blower or not......!!!

grumpybob
Thursday 27th April 2006, 17:00
Hi All

Need some advice on how to fix a tempremental heater blower/fan on my 1997 S70. It has automatic climate comtrol and every now an again the lights will flash red on the dash and the blower/fan will not work.

I have spoken to a nearby volvo breaker who has a motor available (£45) but I am not sure it is as simple as changing the blower/fan.

Anybody got any ideas?? or had similar problems??

Cheers

Bob

grumpybob
Thursday 27th April 2006, 20:06
Bump.

pzorb
Thursday 27th April 2006, 20:33
As no-ones helping you out, i'll tell you what I know about these (almost FA):
The standard T5 without climate control has a big radiator fan just the same as the T5 with, maybe with a variation in the blade design. When i needed a replacement fan for my 96 855 I got one from a T5 with climate control, and the fan unit was slightly different: it had a big fat cylindrical sensor on it. I called salvo to confirm that all was OK to fit to a car with out clim control, and apparently it's used for some feedback into the clim control system.
You might want to check the wires on it? You won't miss it, it's huge. That's all I know on it. Hope it helps.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 28th April 2006, 09:24
Sorry Bob! Not entirely sure off your problem - however changing the fan is relatively straight forward (behind the glovebox). What I would do would be to take the GB out and the trim panel underneath. Take the fan out of the housing and plug it back in. Ignition on - hold the fan and use the dash control (slider) to check the speed and connections. Contact cleaner etc etc. Also check the movement of the servo motor that control the baffles (these are on the left hand end of the glovebox hole behind the centre console). As you change the direction dials you should see these move.

Liddo
Friday 28th April 2006, 10:51
I think I can help on this one, as I had the same thing on my 1st S70.

It's 99% gonna be the blower motor. Mine intermitantly would fail, and the lights on the climate control system would flash, then go off (i think)
Replaced the climate control panel (£100 scrappy job) and it was the same :slap:
Took it into the dealer for another fault, and they rang me and said the fan motor was knackered. I said " can you fix it" which they took to mean "Will you replace it" so they did, and tried to charge me £300+vat for the motor :eek:
I said "I didnt ask for it to be replaced" and they let me off :D
So, get a new / replacement motor. DEAD easy to fit. Glove box out (5-6 torx screws) Plastic shroud covering the motor (3 Torx) and then the motor comes out, after disconnecting the wiring plug.

Hope this helps mate.

Paul

Mrsmopp
Friday 28th April 2006, 10:54
Hi All

Need some advice on how to fix a tempremental heater blower/fan on my 1997 S70. It has automatic climate comtrol and every now an again the lights will flash red on the dash and the blower/fan will not work.

I have spoken to a nearby volvo breaker who has a motor available (£45) but I am not sure it is as simple as changing the blower/fan.

Anybody got any ideas?? or had similar problems??

Cheers

Bob

Oh mine does this too!! Ruddy annoying as it normally happens on the hottest days of the year!!

Dunno how to fix it tho :(

x

Liddo
Friday 28th April 2006, 10:56
Oh mine does this too!! Ruddy annoying as it normally happens on the hottest days of the year!!

Dunno how to fix it tho :(

x

Well NOW ya do ;)

Mrsmopp
Friday 28th April 2006, 10:58
Well NOW ya do ;)

Means nuffin to me...I'm a woman I dont even know what torx screws do let alone how to take them off along with bits of my dash!!! I just drive it hun!!! LOL

x

lance
Friday 28th April 2006, 11:16
I had the same with my V70 , it turned out to be the air con compressor, luckily all fixed under warrenty when I bought the car.

Rufe
Friday 28th April 2006, 12:01
it could be the fan motor, but it could be the heater resistor, which do pack up also. its got a large heat sink on it, but when they fail they overheat and cause the fan motor to cut out when it gets hot.

Mrsmopp
Friday 28th April 2006, 12:11
but it could be the heater resistor, which do pack up also. its got a large heat sink on it, but when they fail they overheat and cause the fan motor to cut out when it gets hot.

That sounds exactly like the symptons of mine! No doubt its the most expensive bit to replace and fix?

x

Wobbly Dave
Friday 28th April 2006, 12:47
Moppy, You can pick up 2nd hand ones from Salvo for about 40 quid - I will happily help you with the fitting (done a couple now).

Mrsmopp
Friday 28th April 2006, 12:48
Moppy, You can pick up 2nd hand ones from Salvo for about 40 quid - I will happily help you with the fitting (done a couple now).

Sold!! Well, as soon as I have some cash for the part that is... LOL

Fanks

x

siamblue
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:35
I have both of these parts available, if the original poster of this thread wants them?

£40 inc postage,

PM me if you are interested,

Gary,