PDA

View Full Version : valve stem oil seals or wrong oil or what?

bigbad
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 22:35
my car used to use 1 pint of oil to about 700mls , but after the 60,000 mile service the oil consumption has gone up a fair bit , & to day i noticed a big cloud of smoke after i went down a big steep hill , andthen set off at the bottom .but i have found out that the volvo people are now putting in 5/30 & not 10/40 as before !
so can anybody in the know , give some advise please.
simon

iGGy
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 23:03
I can't say I've seen anyone running 5W30 in their Volvo's in this country...not on the road at any rate. I'd seriously question whether that oil is correct and if any of the Volvo people on here have seen it recommended or used officially.

blackbooty
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 23:05
hi simon, as i understand it, valve stem seal leakage would show itself as blue smoke on start up after a long rest, ie over nite.
wayne.

bigbad
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 19:00
hi mate , only after i go down a hill , looks like i will chang the oil for 15/40 !! and fingers crossed !
simon

T5ER
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 19:05
5w/30 was used used in most T5`s when they were new as our dealrship uses 5w/30 0w/40 on the new T5 models and so on but if you have millage i would recomend a 10w/40 with a seal rejuvinater additive.but dont go sticking in a to thick a oil or it will give the hydraulic lifters to much grief and you will get a tappety noise

bigbad
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 23:20
yeh , thanks for that , just looking in the unused hand book ! and it recons 15/40 is ok as long as the temp is not below -15 deg ,and as for the seal rejuviinater thats what im thinking of , didn,t forte or some one like that do a good product ? or would recomend anything else?
regards
simon

mickys60t5
Thursday 27th April 2006, 17:11
my car used to use 1 pint of oil to about 700mls , but after the 60,000 mile service the oil consumption has gone up a fair bit , & to day i noticed a big cloud of smoke after i went down a big steep hill , andthen set off at the bottom .but i have found out that the volvo people are now putting in 5/30 & not 10/40 as before !
so can anybody in the know , give some advise please.
simon

high might sound a bit daft but is your oil level correct as why just down hill? :jaw:

Al115
Thursday 27th April 2006, 17:12
Is this "down a hill" as in, "using engine compression to slow the car"?

bigbad
Friday 28th April 2006, 19:34
Is this "down a hill" as in, "using engine compression to slow the car"?
yes , bloody thing ! iv changed the oil and its still doing it !
simon

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 19:55
yeh , thanks for that , just looking in the unused hand book ! and it recons 15/40 is ok as long as the temp is not below -15 deg ,and as for the seal rejuviinater thats what im thinking of , didn,t forte or some one like that do a good product ? or would recomend anything else?
regards
simon
yes forte do or wynn`s do some good stuff cant remember what it is called wynns engine stop leak

Tomcat
Friday 28th April 2006, 21:06
Give it a good run, just incase any oil has collected in the turbo/ intercooler pipes..

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 21:27
Give it a good run, just incase any oil has collected in the turbo/ intercooler pipes..

lunatic smokes blue ish smoke if i leave him ticking over for about 20 mins or so but i am putting it down to it being stood for over 12 months and it needing a oil change

BlackBeast
Friday 28th April 2006, 21:46
If its smoking on the over-run id be very inclined to perform a compression check. Going on past experiences the last turbo car i owned that smoked on the overrun had a broken piston ring :)

Change the oil for some decent 5-40 or 10-40 full synthetic and dont use any oil additives as they are just a waste of money.

Tomcat
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:00
lunatic smokes blue ish smoke if i leave him ticking over for about 20 mins or so but i am putting it down to it being stood for over 12 months and it needing a oil change

Mine was stood for a long time, and also smoked its arse off(as you all know from my whining), after having it checked it was found to have a faulty engine temp sensor, leading to over fueling. After changing this and going for a good run its now pretty much cleared up.

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:01
If its smoking on the over-run id be very inclined to perform a compression check. Going on past experiences the last turbo car i owned that smoked on the overrun had a broken piston ring :)

Change the oil for some decent 5-40 or 10-40 full synthetic and dont use any oil additives as they are just a waste of money.

whats the thoughts for mine then black beast owing to the fact the last turbo car i owned was a metro turbo and i know b4 any one else does it :mgshoot:

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:02
Mine was stood for a long time, and also smoked its arse off(as you all know from my whining), after having it checked it was found to have a faulty engine temp sensor, leading to over fueling. After changing this and going for a good run its now pretty much cleared up.

i thought it might be slightly perished valve stem seals or turbo seals

BlackBeast
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:36
whats the thoughts for mine then black beast owing to the fact the last turbo car i owned was a metro turbo and i know b4 any one else does it :mgshoot:

Not sure what your asking so i shall say this about the metro, instead of sitting in one you sort of sit ontop of it if that makes any sence. :duck:

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:38
Not sure what your asking so i shall say this about the metro, instead of sitting in one you sort of sit ontop of it if that makes any sence. :duck:

mate it does but it was cheap at the time and it was the only car untill now that i have ever owned that had a turbo

Tomcat
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:41
After speaking to several places they all said that they'd never had to do valve stem seals on an 850 ,have you had your codes read?, looked at your spark plugs?. Mine where black when I changed them, I also changed the turbo, but I'm not convinced there was anything wrong with the old one.

i thought it might be slightly perished valve stem seals or turbo seals

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 22:47
After speaking to several places they all said that they'd never had to do valve stem seals on an 850 ,have you had your codes read?, looked at your spark plugs?. Mine where black when I changed them, I also changed the turbo, but I'm not convinced there was anything wrong with the old one.

Not yet Tc doing tomorrow in the workshop, anti roll bar,steering rack boots,oil filter,oil and plugs will then put it on diag to see what faults i have apart from abs/tracs ecu being ££££ed

Tomcat
Friday 28th April 2006, 23:00
report back when you find out what it was, I'm curious to know, see if you have a similar fault to what mine had.

T5ER
Friday 28th April 2006, 23:13
report back when you find out what it was, I'm curious to know, see if you have a similar fault to what mine had.

will do mate will see what happens need to leave him running tomorrow when i have done the work to put some charge back into the battery

swordy21
Saturday 29th April 2006, 00:31
Mine occasionally puffs a bit of smoke out the back on cold start in the morning, mind you I think it more likely condensation than oil, as i) it doesn't use any at all, and ii) plugs are nice and beige coloured, and iii) once on the main road as the boost hits 1.2 bar, huge plume of white smoke out the back then nothing at all.

Last emissions check 2 months ago -

Fast Idle - CO = 0.00, HC = 00007, LAMBDA = 1.00
Nat Idle - CO = 0.00

I don't think that's too bad for 150K