PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Differential - Discuss

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 16:15
I know enough to be dangerous on this particular subject. I also know that the 850R Manual had a LSD fitted in the M59 gearbox.

Reading through the Ty Croes thread - got me thinking - not particularly as a modification I would be looking to do but something that is not often discussed in here.

If any of you lot have an idea about the benefits and draw backs from having one fitted particularly to the T5 FWD scenario (but obviously other experiences and opinions on other cars are welcome) I would be grateful if you could share?

I have found some basic info here... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Questions I have are - are they useful to road car situations or is it more of a track/race thing?
Would you need to be driving sufficiently daft/hard enough that the LSD would be of use on a T5?

heyes
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 16:40
I can only tell you my experiences when I used to have them on the saab 9000 aero's that I had. The last one was pushing out 295bhp and with the LSD it was so easy to drive with power especially around bends. You would position yourself just before the bend and the push it round the bend with ease. You do get a bit of torque steer but that's down to how you drive the car. I have always wondered why this wasn't a more popular mod given the power some of you guys get from your cars. QUAIFE do them for the M56 and M66 gearboxes at around £620. It should be interesting to hear from those who have one fitted.

pault5
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 16:49
Hi,
I made an enquiry to stuart at sw autos a couple of months ago.
The cost of an lsd with fitting is about £1250+vat, that is the lsd costing £750+vat and £500+vat for fitting.
Paul.

Al115
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 17:26
I can say that LSDs for our car are b*stard hard to get hold of! As I have been trying for some time myself :)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 17:31
Wobbles speak with Ju as she already has one fitted she is probably one of the only ones that can give you "real world" experience of an aftermarket LSD

x

BlackBeast
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 18:08
Search on VolvoSpeed, there are quite a few good threads on there about the subject including prices and the best places to get them from.

pzorb
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 18:21
Just to throw some dirty oil into a muddy puddle:

swedespeed's EricF:
"There are to my knowledge two manual gearboxes for the FWD cars, the M56 and the M59. The M56 has an open differential, but is supposedly stronger than the M59. The M59 however, was used in Europe in the R's, and came with a high power-handling clutch and a limited slip differential."

swedespeed's Morley:
"The M59 does NOT have an LSD, it's more like a hydraulic coupling that transfers up to 190NM to the wheel that is spinning."

siamblue
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 18:41
Well i know a little about the LSD system, and to be totally honest, my newer car is so much easier to drive than my old FWD, as someone else stated you point it and power it,

Gary,

Matt30462
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 19:05
Heico do a LSD. No idea of the price though.

Matt30462
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 19:09
MMM! Well I don't know enough about this, is this Heico Diff Lock the same as a LSD or a different beastie?

http://www.heicosportiv.de/mainframe.asp?lang=en&e1=219

Justin
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 19:12
Having had 2 R's with LSD's i can say that they are easier to drive and easier to get round corners, although not alot. It just meant for me better grip off the mark really :)

Andrew
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 20:00
I can only tell you my experiences when I used to have them on the saab 9000 aero's that I had. The last one was pushing out 295bhp and with the LSD it was so easy to drive with power especially around bends. You would position yourself just before the bend and the push it round the bend with ease. You do get a bit of torque steer but that's down to how you drive the car. I have always wondered why this wasn't a more popular mod given the power some of you guys get from your cars. QUAIFE do them for the M56 and M66 gearboxes at around £620. It should be interesting to hear from those who have one fitted.

I can vouch for this - I utilise my LSD to scare people often when powering around bends :) Saffron_C70 will confirm :P

Engineer
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 20:07
Hi Dave interesting subject (talking in general and not just about the types fitted to T5’s) as you know there are many types of LSD units and all have been used at one time or another for different vehicle applications.

One important thing to remember is that most can be set up to deliver different strengths of application depending on speed or torque differences between the driving wheels, which normally ends in maximum lock up. Most road cars are set soft so as not to send the car into the scenery (no pun intended mate).

If you’re on the track then one type or another is a must, and normally set a lot harder depending on conditions and type fitted, some suit certain vehicles better than others and some drivers prefer some types over others etc. Ask Hamish.

One things for sure IMHO whatever type you fit to a FWD vehicle (4WD is a slightly different story) it will increase the torque steer in proportion to its design and settings when you ask it to deliver.

One I liked for road use was the VC type fitted to the Cosworth Sierra provided it was set right it always delivered. On the other hand the just current RS Focus Quaife type is a bit of a bitch on the road but does the business on track.

Link below gives some details on different types you can use.

It’s the one thing I wished my R had instead of the Tracs system if it ever snows Ill use the W setting anyway lol.

www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm#EDL%20why (http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm#EDL%20why)

Andrew
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 20:13
When i was getting my turbo fitted SW commented on how my LSD was set fairly stiff - tempted to put her on the track now to see if she delivers as per your comments :)

Engineer
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 20:30
When i was getting my turbo fitted SW commented on how my LSD was set fairly stiff - tempted to put her on the track now to see if she delivers as per your comments :)
You going on a diet then lol. :hidesbehi Only joking mate August it is then the big B meet.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 09:09
I think some of you have got me wrong - I dont want an LSD - never did. I just thought it would be something interesting to discuss as it has not been a topic much covered in VPC.

I had heard that the M59 box was weaker with the LSD and tended to break. Did the phase 1 70 series R's have them?

Ultimately the question is - does the T5 need a LSD?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 10:28
Ultimately the question is - does the T5 need a LSD?

Well Volvo didn't seem to think so so I would say no!! After all they are the the ones that know what they are doing. lol

x

lance
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 10:46
Yeah you cant beat a bit of torgue steer and wheel spin, thats all part of the fun,
RWD drive owners go on about flicking the back end out!

I enjoy lighting up my tyres existing a large corner and just keeping my foot to the floor waiting for the car to gain composure and catapault me away.

However Im sure lsd (even the halucnogenic stuff) is more usefull than tracs but lets face it that woundnt be difficult anyway, If I drive any car these days I turn the fun button on i. e tracs off!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 10:53
I am sorry Moppy, but I think that Volvo have made mistakes and as a club we should question the manufacturer. E.g turning the fairly decent coupe into a very average convertible. Mind you - No-one really knows what the driving force behind the decisions were.

Maybe the Volvo "powers that be" thought that it was too difficult or too expensive to develop a good LSD? Instead they seem to be battling away with the development of AWD systems. Given that there are both drive train solutions out there - which would you (as in all) would recommend eg. to a new person looking for advice on which drivetrain to have.
Just FWD? FWD with LSD? AWD (viscous coupling)? AWD (haldex)?

BlackBeast
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 12:00
which would you (as in all) would recommend eg. to a new person looking for advice on which drivetrain to have.
Just FWD? FWD with LSD? AWD (viscous coupling)? AWD (haldex)?

Another question to add into the mix, which type of LSD would be best for our FWD cars?

T5SLAVE
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 12:36
It's hard to say if Volvo were right about the T5 with no LSD as standard, I can't really make an educated comment on that. Other than to say, I think my T5 does a really good job of putting it's power down in all circumstances but could certainly be improved, whether that be by addition of a slipper, I don't know?!

I can however, definately say that in my experience you are gonna be hard pushed to beat 4WD with clever slippers fitted...dare I mention Cossie's AGAIN :slap: If you wanna get round a corner fast with alot o power this is the best way I've ever experienced...I'm quite sure some o you more knowledgeable guys on here could fill in the gaps on this one? I see that Engineer has already made mention of VC's on Cossie's...

:)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 13:26
The balance between transmission losses/ engine power and traction is a tricky issue.

Where are the effective torque limits for FWD systems. I saw SW's 854R put down a lot of torque at Avon Park but, to my mind the power gains were irrelevant because too much traction was lost. The same can be said of the Overladden 850 too (for those that have seen the video). Both just spin up the wheels.
What advantages does the VC LSD offer?
Are the additional losses through the AWD system irrelevant?
Is the LSD priniciple useful in a straight line?

I am beginning to think that within a T5 FWD context that the choice of tyre is by far the most important part of the drivetrain.

Stuart B
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 13:30
TRACS in theory acts like a torque biasing diff....when it brakes a wheel, the torque is applied to the other wheel because of the way open diffs work. I get the feeling on here TRACs doesn't work very well though. Maybe the flaw with TRACS is that once both wheels are spinning you should cut the ignition/fuel (as Racelogic and so on), and not what TRACS does (and brake wheels).

My point is Volvo may not see it necessary to fit an LSD when TRACS acts like a torque biasing diff (theoritically at least).

Stu

volvotuning
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 13:32
I am beginning to think that within a T5 FWD context that the choice of tyre is by far the most important part of the drivetrain.

Equally important is the condition of the suspension, which obviously is the factor which determines how much contact the tyre has with the road. Crap suspension = crap traction, irrespective of how good the tyre is or how good the diff is. This is where many people make the mistake of thinking that an LSD will resolve the traction issue - 99% of the time it won't. It's normally the suspension and tyres that needs addressing. This also means selecting the right suspension setup for the road condition, for optimal traction.

Adam.

arbee
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 16:40
great thread people :) I have also wondered about the benefits of an LSD - it is so often seen as the only answer to big power fwd but then also, its often regarded as too uncomprimising for everyday use.

On a standard powered T5, R included, I think no, an LSD is not desirable- Volvo seem to have made a good balance between drivability and ability to put the power down. However.... once we start talking big power, it maybe a different story - you are putting pressures on the cars ability to make traction that was never considered in the factory!

mikezero
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 19:56
can however, definately say that in my experience you are gonna be hard pushed to beat 4WD with clever slippers fitted...dare I mention Cossie's AGAIN If you wanna get round a corner fast with alot o power this is the best way

Well said

the awd haldex loss's arent that bad, if u dyno the s60r in awd mode, then pull the fuse, eg fwd only, there's only a 10bhp loss, according to some dyno's done by some other R owners, so i would have to lean towards awd haldex for the best awd solution.

i would like to know why volvo dont fit the s60 t5 with a lsd??, seems like the ideal car for it, 250/260 going via the fwd is hard going

Colin 850 T5
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 23:40
An LSD would add considerable cost to the cars build price.

If Peugeot close a factory for a 450 Euro differential in manufacturing cost per unit, I would imagine that fitment of an LSD across a substantial number of cars would be more than the accountants could bear. An LSD would only appeal to a limited audience so they would avoid this if at all possible.

Difficulty for an OE fitment is which LSD to fit as longevity and warranties come into play and these dont affect after market purchases in the same way. Quaife supplied ATB's to Chrysler and Ford and these seem to be fairly bullet proof as far as ordinary road cars are concerned.

Tracs seems to be a simple program within the ABS ecu, cost=zilch. Its limits are starting off on snowy hills or getting out from the muddy carpark at the village fete.

BlackBeast
Thursday 27th April 2006, 00:15
Its limits are starting off on snowy hills or getting out from the muddy carpark at the village fete.

Sorry, i had to laugh at that comment, what you should have said is its limits are that it doest work and is ultimately pointless.

BlackBeast
Thursday 27th April 2006, 00:22
i would like to know why volvo dont fit the s60 t5 with a lsd??, seems like the ideal car for it, 250/260 going via the fwd is hard going

Volvo didnt fit an lsd to the t5 due to marketing purposes, they couldnt have the top middle of the range (T5) beating the top of the range (R) now could they :)

Colin 850 T5
Thursday 27th April 2006, 09:08
I don't know if is pointless. I would imagine when it was designed by Volvo/ATE they did get it to work otherwise they would not fit it.

I think we are maybe assuming that it is there from a performance enhancing standpoint and maybe its much more of of a practical addition just like the fiddle brakes on trials cars. There is no way that with serious torque under hard acceleration that brakes will be able to exert enough clamping force quick enough to control a spinning wheel. Brakes will ultimately slow the car to a complete standstill irrespective of engine torque though. There are plenty of low speed situations where the ability to lock a spinning wheel momentarily will be of benefit.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 27th April 2006, 11:55
I am seriously considering putting and LSD in mine.....but that means Gearbox out again :slap: .... suspension first I think......

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th April 2006, 13:40
Well said

the awd haldex loss's arent that bad, if u dyno the s60r in awd mode, then pull the fuse, eg fwd only, there's only a 10bhp loss, according to some dyno's done by some other R owners, so i would have to lean towards awd haldex for the best awd solution.
Sorry mate - that doesnt make any sense. My point about AWD systems was that there is additional drag/friction in the overall system due to the transfer box and extra diffs etc. Pulling the fuse will surely not stop the additional drive shaft from spinning. AWD systems inherently have greater transmission losses.

I do agree that the V/C vs Haldex system is a no-brainer. Haldex will be the better transfer system because you will not loose as much energy in heat as you do with a fluid based system.

Still not sure what the best drivetrain solution is. The debate continues.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th April 2006, 13:41
I am seriously considering putting and LSD in mine.....but that means Gearbox out again :slap: .... suspension first I think......Is that because you've modified yours more towards track use than before?

mikezero
Thursday 27th April 2006, 18:41
Sorry mate - that doesnt make any sense. My point about AWD systems was that there is additional drag/friction in the overall system due to the transfer box and extra diffs etc. Pulling the fuse will surely not stop the additional drive shaft from spinning. AWD systems inherently have greater transmission losses.

yeah, i see your point your making, but the haldex unit is the split, so that part isnt getting used at certain times, not sure not makes any sense, im getting confused to be honest! lol

D

madness
Thursday 27th April 2006, 21:55
i must admit i have never come across the m59 g'box. i thought they were m56 and m58 gearboxes in the 850's and 70's

JUDGENINJA
Friday 28th April 2006, 00:38
Is that because you've modified yours more towards track use than before?

Yeah sort of. I noticed a huge difference between the 850 and Marrk's Saab 9000 at Ty-Croes. In theory his car had more power and my car was lighter so out of a corner the difference should have been close. Because my car was leaning over the inside wheel was spinning out of every corner. So adjustable suspension first, then if that doesn't solve this problem along with the ABS problem under braking then an LSD maybe the only way to go... As for road use at low speeds I should hardly notice the diffence....

Wobbly Dave
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:39
fubarred shocks should be first thing on the shopping list to be replaced - along with top mount and your springs (which will be showing their age by now??)

MZ - To further illustrate my point - All things being equal (including kerb side weight) on the same map and turbo - which would be quicker on the track? S60R AWD or S60 T5 with a LSD? Jezza (who I always take with a pinch of salt) said that the S60R was fiddly in handling due to the 4C/AWD combo. Is that true (in your experience)?

Could we make a better 850 T5 "RR" track day monster by retro fitting a 4C/AWD style system (obviously there is the costs to consider) - or would a LSD based system be better?

volvotuning
Friday 28th April 2006, 08:53
Could we make a better 850 T5 "RR" track day monster by retro fitting a 4C/AWD style system (obviously there is the costs to consider) - or would a LSD based system be better?

I think you'll find there are a billion other things that need to be addressed first, to turn an 850 into a decent track car.

Adam.

mikezero
Friday 28th April 2006, 11:16
MZ - To further illustrate my point - All things being equal (including kerb side weight) on the same map and turbo - which would be quicker on the track? S60R AWD or S60 T5 with a LSD? Jezza (who I always take with a pinch of salt) said that the S60R was fiddly in handling due to the 4C/AWD combo. Is that true (in your experience)?

Good question!, i think when u look at the details of corning with the s60r awd/4c setup, as u enter a corner the awd sends 70% of the power/torque to the rear wheels, to create a better turn in, which in theory should reduce the amount of understeer, therefore allowing better/faster cornering, also this should allow u to get back on the power again more quickly, also the 4c helping out with cornering.

i think the lsd will help the t5 in the corners, but i still think your still asking the front wheels to do all the work, weather one or both wheels are getting power with the t5, its still sending to much power to the front, if fwd was that good, all the f1 cars would have it.! lol

jezza comments - its seems ok to me, but ive never had it on a track, to compare, one thing i have noticed between the my previous s60 t5 and the R, is the R generates far higher levels of grip(feels that way), wet or dry, which gives u more confidence in the car, therefore allowing u to corner quicker.

u would be cheaper buying a s60r, pick them up for below 15k with ease, and even more so in near future

D

pault5
Thursday 11th May 2006, 18:14
Has anyone considered a Racelogic traction control system?
I have, it is a cheaper option than an lsd and can be removed from the car when it is time to sell.
Any thoughts....

Al115
Thursday 11th May 2006, 18:59
Yeah, I've heard they can cause some real problems with our cars! Hopefully someone on here will be able to give a real-life example...

pzorb
Thursday 11th May 2006, 19:02
Doesn't Don have one fitted?

JUDGENINJA
Friday 12th May 2006, 10:29
fubarred shocks should be first thing on the shopping list to be replaced - along with top mount and your springs (which will be showing their age by now??)

The Shockers are new, but standard so roll too much. I didn't have a brake issue at Bruntingthorpe so I think it is a specific issue to the second corner at Ty-Croes. I haven't asked Guy or Spin if he suffered from the same problem or not... but holding the inside wheel on the ground is my first priority and keeping traction hence the idea of adjustable suspension and an LSD....to start.....:mischievo ...

...as for the 4C/AWD I don't think it's a viable option (for me anyway). If I was going to go that far I'd possibbly look for a permanent 4x4 system such as a quattro/skyline system which are rear wheel biased or just go for a Rear wheel drive system.....but I won't be doing that anytime soon....

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 12th September 2010, 23:53
resurrecting my own thread, as I am still interested in putting in an LSD into the C70 to help with getting off the line and improving the cornering. I am however worried about the possible increase in torque steer?

Which diff is the best for the M56/ FWD/ application? What type of LSD are a quaiffe & Gripper?

From what I have read - it appears that the Quaiffe is a torsen diff?

t5_monkey
Monday 13th September 2010, 09:17
I don't have one but basically I've looked into it and heard...

quaife better for day to day use but you will get some funky torque steer (that's all part of the fun tho right!)

grippe better for drag racing as it's a ratchet, can be clanky and noise during normal driving.

Most production cars with them have a quaife or similar.

wegal
Monday 13th September 2010, 12:02
LSDs have a place when you are pushing to the very limit of the cars grip / traction. In every day driving situations they are basically redundant.

In a 4x4 senario.. used off road.. then a LSD is an extremely useful peice of kit, as nearly all 4 wheel drive cars are actually 2 wheel drive and most 2 wheel drive cars are 1 wheel drive ( as energy will always take the path of least resistance, spin one wheel of a 2WD cars and you get no power to the non spinning wheel, spin 1 front and 1 rear on a 4WD and again you are going no where) So when mud pluggin' in a 4x4 the LSD offers a very significant advantage ( assuming that the center diff is locked)

In my view a LSD on a 2 wheel drive car is really a waste of time, unless you are flying round a track. On a wet / slippery road they really dont help all that much.

On a 4x4 however the LSD is a fantastic addition, as it really ensures that all 4 wheels are getting some drive, in snow and ice this makes the difference between keeping going / getting going, and looking for the shovel.

My lancia has some very trick LSD fitted to all the diffs, in the snow last winter the lancia would go places that 4x4's couldnt, so on a slippery surface the ability to drive all 4 wheels and not just 2 was extremely useful, on a rally stage I would imagine the same to be true.

The LSD as used to help round bends and off the line is limited by the driver ability to handle the car and drive quickly. Being very fluid and smooth with the driver inputs would be more advantagous to most than the addition of an LSD which will simply mask a lack of driver skill to a point.

The best LSD is the one that sits in the drivers seat, be progressive with the power, braking and steering inputs, avoid rapid weight transfers and flow with the car rather than fighting against it. Often the faster driver is the seemingly slower driver, If ya wanna go fast remember to be smoooooooooth.

t5_monkey
Monday 13th September 2010, 13:43
have you driven a modified T5 in the wet? I doubt it would be a waste of time even if you were 'grip limited' as mines an absolute pig in the wet and would benefit from any gain in traction.

Everyone I've seen who's posted up about LSD's who has one on a T5 says they're well happy with the results given the ultimate traction limitations of 2WD.

Has anyone on here actually had an LSD fitted to their T5?

Al115
Monday 13th September 2010, 14:38
T4 yes. T5 no.

It was more annoying than anything else for the mixed driving I do.

wegal
Monday 13th September 2010, 15:10
have you driven a modified T5 in the wet? I doubt it would be a waste of time even if you were 'grip limited' as mines an absolute pig in the wet and would benefit from any gain in traction.

Everyone I've seen who's posted up about LSD's who has one on a T5 says they're well happy with the results given the ultimate traction limitations of 2WD.

Yes everyday.. I live in manchester.. it never stops raining, and mines on a MTE stage II.

If your struggling with grip then look at your tyres, mine used to be like a greasy pig on an ice rink, but have now fitted Vredstein sasanta and they have transformed the cars handling.

Then look at how your drive, I know most peeps dont like critisism of their driving techniques, but if you are having grip issues its the best place to start. Feed the power in more smoothly, wait till you feel the turbo catch up with the engine RPM before giving it full throttle, then lift a little bit and ride the turbo wave before full power again. Driving a turbo car is different to a non turbo as the power comes in great big handfuls and if you dont manage the delivery it will spin the wheels.

On the motor way at 60 mph in the wet, if i just floor it then i will spin the fronts.

Play around with the power delivery you will be suprised at just how much grip there is and how much faster the car will accelerate if you learn to not just plant the throttle.

No offense intended, I dont know how you drive, but my experience is that most folks just nail it and think thats all there is to it.. then blame the car for anything that goes wrong.

Ive had a fair amount of experince driving fast as I used to curciut race in my younger days, so my high speed driving is pretty well honed. I just lack the balls I used to have when I was 21 lol.

t5_monkey
Monday 13th September 2010, 16:35
Yes everyday.. I live in manchester.. it never stops raining, and mines on a MTE stage II.

If your struggling with grip then look at your tyres, mine used to be like a greasy pig on an ice rink, but have now fitted Vredstein sasanta and they have transformed the cars handling.

Then look at how your drive, I know most peeps dont like critisism of their driving techniques, but if you are having grip issues its the best place to start. Feed the power in more smoothly, wait till you feel the turbo catch up with the engine RPM before giving it full throttle, then lift a little bit and ride the turbo wave before full power again. Driving a turbo car is different to a non turbo as the power comes in great big handfuls and if you dont manage the delivery it will spin the wheels.

On the motor way at 60 mph in the wet, if i just floor it then i will spin the fronts.

Play around with the power delivery you will be suprised at just how much grip there is and how much faster the car will accelerate if you learn to not just plant the throttle.

No offense intended, I dont know how you drive, but my experience is that most folks just nail it and think thats all there is to it.. then blame the car for anything that goes wrong.

Ive had a fair amount of experince driving fast as I used to curciut race in my younger days, so my high speed driving is pretty well honed. I just lack the balls I used to have when I was 21 lol.

I run Vredstein ultracs - about the chance over to ultrac Sessantas (although I already had them on for a brief while.)

BSR seems to do very sensitive throttle maps, it's quite tricky to feed in the right amount of power for traction, I could do with a more linear MTE style one.

I think most people who aren't lets say... a bit special would realize that if you press less on the accelerator... you're less likely to get wheel-spin - but thanks for pointing it out ;) I'm just talking about ultimate traction here from an engineering/mechanical point of view.

Santa
Monday 13th September 2010, 17:15
I'd opt for LSD in any high powered FWD car than not having one. And (in my expereince) torque steer (where you accelerate hard from stand still and the car pulls to one side) should reduce over not having one.

S70T5Chris
Monday 13th September 2010, 17:27

Yes.

t5_monkey
Monday 13th September 2010, 17:40
Yes.

ah yeah i think you've got a quaife on yours? how do you find it compared to running a peg leg open diff?

T5frankie
Monday 13th September 2010, 17:57
unless you are a track day nut you wont hardly notice the difference, i like them without so you can light up the wheel(s) all the way down the road lol

siamblue
Monday 13th September 2010, 18:42
unless you are a track day nut you wont hardly notice the difference, i like them without so you can light up the wheel(s) all the way down the road lol

Out of all the cars i have owned, T5's and R's the most planted car was the AWD R, second is my FWD R, but that can torque steer very badly if you plant your foot too hard on the loud pedal,

Gary

Redbrick
Monday 13th September 2010, 18:52

Yes.

I inherited with the silver 855 what I've been told to be a Gripper diff with mild ramp angles.

In the dry it is superb and will drag you round corners; at Castle Combe running slicks it was a revelation.

When I come on boost (22psi) at 4500 it torque steers quite a lot! All part of the fun.

Coming from my manual 855R, plate type diff and Racelogic traction control the Gripper is a far better tool.

However all this counts for nothing if the rubber you are running can't grip to start with.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th September 2010, 22:14
I was looking at the application of an ATB type LSD for use on the C70 for drag & track days - as well as improving the lay out of power on the road - not that it isn't good on the road.

From what I read the quaife can help reduce torque steer.

smithy
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 02:38
when i used to drive my v70 that torque steering like a bitch on standard box.and so did sidneys car that rnash has got now.that had a standard box in and the torque steer was bad and then we put in m59 box and that was alot better and put the power down alot better and knocked off half a second off the quater mile too .i was going to fit a gripper in my v70 because that can be setup for what you want .personnelly go for it and you will soon get used to the way the car drives mate.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 11:53
Hopefully I might have a few quid left over from the Wedding - but don't tell Ellen ;)

smithy
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 12:49
lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 13:27
If I buy one - will you help me fit it to keep the cost down?

smithy
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 14:15
yes no probs mate early next year mate work goes quite then mate

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 15:52
Just in time for the next Volvo drag race season

smithy
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:18
yes thats right and i will building mine at the same time ready for may to oct 6 months tax a year .but my build includes a respray

Jamest5r
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 19:51
yes thats right and i will building mine at the same time ready for may to oct 6 months tax a year .but my build includes a respray

Did you forget to mention your new forged engine? or keeping that quiet?...Oppps...

Santa
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 20:00
Might be best we al keep quiet so we can suprise each other....be like xmas lol

Tim Williams
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:35
I had an open M56 then an M59 and now a Gripper with medium settings, the open diff smoked the inside tyre on sweeping corners if you tried to press on. The M59 coped much better being totally smooth but would still do it. The Gripper just pulls you around the corner in the direction you point it in, it can now got around corners in 3rd WOT where before it would spin up in 4th.

t5_monkey
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 21:52
I had an open M56 then an M59 and now a Gripper with medium settings, the open diff smoked the inside tyre on sweeping corners if you tried to press on. The M59 coped much better being totally smooth but would still do it. The Gripper just pulls you around the corner in the direction you point it in, it can now got around corners in 3rd WOT where before it would spin up in 4th.

Hey Tim... you the fella with the awesome 400bhp+ white estate T5? :)

What would you recommend... quaife... or Grippe... for every day driving mostly and the odd 1/4 mile run and possibly a sniff onto a circuit now and again (but nothing too serious)

smithy
Tuesday 14th September 2010, 22:21
[/U][/I][/B]

Did you forget to mention your new forged engine? or keeping that quiet?...Oppps...

dont know what you mean mate ive gone all deaf again lol

Tim Williams
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 09:00
Hey Tim... you the fella with the awesome 400bhp+ white estate T5? :)

What would you recommend... quaife... or Grippe... for every day driving mostly and the odd 1/4 mile run and possibly a sniff onto a circuit now and again (but nothing too serious)

Yes lol, I would go for the Gripper if others have to drive your car as the Quaiffe will pull you in to the Apex if you if you accelerate hard on the corner. The Quaiffe comes with a lifetime guarantee but if I understand it right they NEVER payout on it. The Gripper doesn't have a lifetime guarantee but can be rebuilt and altered to be more or less aggressive.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 09:26
I just want a diff that will stop the short half shaft (nearside) from spinning up.