PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp wiper

mailee
Sunday 20th March 2005, 10:59
My headlamp wiper has gone on my 850 T5. Can they be swapped from side to side, I know the bracket is different but that is screwed on. Or can they be taken apart and repaired?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 20th March 2005, 11:26
Do you mean that the motor is not working or the rubber bit is missing/knackered?

Justin
Sunday 20th March 2005, 11:48
I take it he means the motor, and no there is a left and a right, so not swopable, also a sealed unit so repairs are difficult.

Getting them out to replace is the hard part, especially the drivers side :(

Kent Canary
Sunday 20th March 2005, 12:05
Getting them out to replace is the hard part, especially the drivers side :(

Tell me about it.. I need to change my nearside motor and everything went fine right until you have to loosen the radiator to get the damn thing out. (didnt have time to sort that out at the time but couldnt even find the bolts I needed to undo..). I have just left the motor unplugged for now.

The drivers one I think you have to removed the ECU box or something.. nightmare!

They are about £105 new from Volvo

mailee
Sunday 20th March 2005, 16:06
Yes I did mean the motor. I have had it out, luckily it is the passenger side not too bad a job I thought considering some of the Fords I work on. Of course it had not registered with me that they would be handed due to the rotation of the shaft. Oh well i will see if I can get another and then maybe dimantle the old one and see what I can do with it. Thanks guys.

blackcurrantGLT
Monday 21st March 2005, 13:35
Hi ,
Before you buy a new one or strip the old one down , Have you changed the control relay ? One of mine stopped working , went to Eurocarparts for a new motor . One of their guys got a new relay , stuck it where the old one was and it worked fine !!!!!! might save you time and money !!!???!!!

ANDY

mailee
Monday 21st March 2005, 13:44
Thanks for that info Blackcurrant GLT but I have tried plugging it into the other side wires and it still doesn't work, so it does look like the motor that is at fault. There is one on e-bay at the moment so i will keep my eye on it. Thanks for that info though.

Pedro Fandango
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:24
get £20 go to the volvo dealer & get blanking plates & remve the wipers, there no use anyway

nikgallagher
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:52
Will just £20 get you the colour coded trim that goes under the headlight cluster? Or does 'blanking plate' mean two small volvo stickers to cover the holes?

Pedro Fandango
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:58
Will just £20 get you the colour coded trim that goes under the headlight cluster? Or does 'blanking plate' mean two small volvo stickers to cover the holes?
opps, £31.94 to be exact its for the complete under headlight panel but come un-painted, easily done yourself if you know hold use a spray tin (part numbers 9151239-2 & 9151238-4 if your interested)
http://covcrew.dyndns.org/covcrew/volvo-850-t5/archive/archive31.jpg

nikgallagher
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:03
Do they just clip off then? My nearside unit is not fixed properly and I would prefer the cleaner lines without the wipers anyway. Is it difficult to remove the motors, or do you just pull the spindles out? Nice colour by the way (same as mine! :))

Pedro Fandango
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:23
replacing the headlamp panels is easy, you've got a metal retaining clip behind on the inner edge (open the bonnet & its in the openiong there) & it just push fits into a hole by the indicator.

once you've removed that panel there are 2 bolts holding the motor to the metal panel behind it, undo them then the motor can be worked up through the engine bay area

nikgallagher
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:45
Do you have to disconnect any other wiring to stop the signal going to the motor end, or is it ok just to tape up the ends and forget about them?

Pedro Fandango
Monday 21st March 2005, 17:05
no all the wiring for the motors is on a single plug, just un-plug it when you take the motor & leave it at that. You will have to remove the water pipes for the wipers aswell (sorry can't remember how i blocked them off)

pault5
Monday 21st March 2005, 19:00
took my wiper moters out a few months ago, i cut 2 pieces of plastic for the holes left by removing the motors looks ok.
the drivers side motor was a pain in the bum to remove. ended up cutting the spindle with a dremmel.
car did look odd for awhile with no headlamp wipers but i got used to it.
paul