PDA

View Full Version : Dyno'ing an T5 Auto

Broaders
Friday 21st April 2006, 12:40
What are people experiences with Auto's on the Dyno, is it impossible to get a exact power figure ?

Martinr
Friday 21st April 2006, 12:55
It is possible to get a wheel horse power figure but not a flywheel figure.
I believe this is not possible as you cannot entirely de-couple the transmission (even when in neutral), on an auto.

Transmission losses on auto are much higher as well.

Andrew
Friday 21st April 2006, 12:55
What are people experiences with Auto's on the Dyno, is it impossible to get a exact power figure ?

Define exact :)

It's difficult with an auto as the best way to dyno a car is to stick it in 4th gear (most direct to the engine) and wind it up and then drop it into neutral to spool down. You can't truly do that on an auto especially an older one.

However if you know what your doing you can get pretty close. Speak to Adam at VT for his opinion. Also don't forget the dyno day their on April 29th.

Ac.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 21st April 2006, 13:02
You can get an exact power figure at the wheels. On the T5 with the Aisin-Warner box - most runs are restricted to 3rd gear??? - I believe?? - in Pos 3 on the selector. This means that the graphs tend to be shorter in rev range to avoid messing up the runs with kick-down (gear changes)

EDIT - like Andy says - ask Adam - he's the expert.

Broaders
Friday 21st April 2006, 13:50
The only reason I asked as mine is an Auto and I have got my name down for the Dyno day on the 29th April. Have any other members got similar cars and had previous dyno runs ?, what kind of figures were produced ? Just interested in other people's views.

Thanks

Andrew
Friday 21st April 2006, 15:01
My RICA'd T5R Auto had ~265bhp if I remember correctly.

AC.