PDA

View Full Version : Standard Boost Pressure?

CAMO
Friday 21st April 2006, 10:08
What should the standard boost pressure be set at on a 1996 Volvo 854R auto box?
What is the safe set limit I can set the acuator rod, without falling into problems/ spikes?
Anyone who has made sensible mods on a auto turbo????? :B_steerin

blackbooty
Friday 21st April 2006, 17:36
What should the standard boost pressure be set at on a 1996 Volvo 854R auto box?
What is the safe set limit I can set the acuator rod, without falling into problems/ spikes?
Anyone who has made sensible mods on a auto turbo????? :B_steerin

hi ya, far from sensible ( crazy infact ) !
this is definately not advice and please dont do this to a car you want to keep.

im just letting you know what i did to an auto 854 94 m at 145,000....
i bought the doner car after mine had an argument with a roundabout , as i didnt need the engine i thought id see how rapid i could make her.
i wound the actuator up until i started to hit the fuel shutoff protection system (overboost) at 15 psi according to my boost gauge, then wound it
back a bit so at full chat it wasnt hitting the FSPS. i caned it everywhere at a peak of 14 psi for 3 months.
i dont know how accurate the gauge was, but the car flew, holding the box in 2nd and giving it full throttle was astounding.
as ive said, DO NOT do this to a decent motor cos itll probably do your rods.
the only reason mine survived is cos i didnt care if it went bang !!!!
i would never do this to my 96 854 auto, itll be going to VT for the proper works.
wayne

CAMO
Friday 21st April 2006, 19:17
Thanks for that 'sound advice'. I don't intend to melt my pistons- just want to know what the factory setting is, and maybe look into RICA, or similar? :haha:

Mrsmopp
Friday 21st April 2006, 23:01
IIRC its either 6 or 8psi as stock (someone will no prove me wrong lol)

Cheapest mod is and MBC but only fit if you know what your doing as too much and your in rod bending territory. Best bet is a remap ;)

x

LeeT5
Saturday 22nd April 2006, 00:03
Nah your right moppy, 6psi is standard. I have MBC and can safely run at 10psi b4 hitting the fuel cut off. Impossible to do this though without a seperate boost guage, so dont bother unless you intend to fit another guage.
Astonishing results, downside is my fuel consumption has now plumeted to an average 20mpg. :frown: It was 29-33mpg.
Ah well.....rather have the extra horses :B_steerin

BTW mine IS an auto.

As far as i was concerned i thought that you werent able to adjust boost by altering the actuator rod because the ecu recalculates and adjusts itself back, (can anyone clarify?? VT where are you?) due to the boost control solenoid still being used.