PDA

View Full Version : Cooling brakes

Niles
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 23:53
took me trusty Swede rocket out & gave it my 1st REAL thrashing, I've got Brembo discs & OMP RS pads all round, After not long (but did include 100+mph 'hard slow down'), the brakes were pants, faded badly. Any mods for keeping them cool or am I just using SH*te pads/discs?

volvotuning
Thursday 20th April 2006, 00:01
took me trusty Swede rocket out & gave it my 1st REAL thrashing, I've got Brembo discs & OMP RS pads all round, After not long (but did include 100+mph 'hard slow down'), the brakes were pants, faded badly. Any mods for keeping them cool or am I just using SH*te pads/discs?

You need better pads. The best ones available are the DS2500, but they're not cheap at around £114 + VAT. However, I haven't yet heard of anyone managing to fade them on the road.

Adam.

racer
Thursday 20th April 2006, 00:53
I've got the Black Diamond groved disks and Black Diamond pads on mine and I'm really happy with them. Someone on here managed to set fire to this set up once, but I've had a couple serious Pennine crossings with mine and no problems what so ever.

Going to a circuit in France soon to race, but they usually let road cars out for a few laps at the end of the racing, so I'll let you know how the brakes on the V70 hold up!

P.S. I've run DS2500 and DS3000 on the track and not been too impressed. This was on a Nova though, so questionable relevence to the 850/V70 debate.

blackbooty
Thursday 20th April 2006, 09:38
nowt wrong with the brembo discs mate, is your brake fluid decent ?
old stuff can make brakes feel cac.
id be very worried if my brakes faded that badly, after such a small amount of abuse.
wayne

Mrsmopp
Thursday 20th April 2006, 11:37
P.S. I've run DS2500 and DS3000 on the track and not been too impressed. This was on a Nova though, so questionable relevence to the 850/V70 debate.

There are a lot of people with this set up on the forum (myself included) and to date there has been nothing but good reports.

x

racer
Thursday 20th April 2006, 13:05
Yeah, well, the on track Nova experience is not exactly close to the on road Volvo situation I guess. (Unless there's some REAL nutters on here!) ;) Just me, really. Once a particular pad type has had you in the Armco, you tend to steer clear in the future!

So, just to be clear, I never had a bad Ferrodo/Volvo experience.

Ferrodo - Sounds like a bloody hobbit!

I've run Brembo disks before, nothing wrong with them. :)

Niles
Thursday 20th April 2006, 14:34
I'll get my fluid changed just to be safe, 4.1 do the job? or 5+? I'll check the better pads stuff too. Mite even go really mad & Bodge....sorry meant Fabricate, sum cooling ducts. Get sum piccys if it happens & Im proud of the job. lol. Thanks again folks.

hamish
Thursday 20th April 2006, 14:46
Yeah, well, the on track Nova experience is not exactly close to the on road Volvo situation I guess. (Unless there's some REAL nutters on here!) ;) Just me, really. Once a particular pad type has had you in the Armco, you tend to steer clear in the future!

So, just to be clear, I never had a bad Ferrodo/Volvo experience.

Ferrodo - Sounds like a bloody hobbit!

I've run Brembo disks before, nothing wrong with them. :)

Your race track experiences of Ferodo DS are odd to say the least. Most of the F3 grid use DS3000, AP Racing use Ferodo. The control pad for CLio Cup is Ferodo etc etc. I don't know any real race cars that run Black Diamond. I was driving somebody elses Jedi at the weekend with EBC and the brakes were either off or locked up ! (lacked feel) Brake feel is however subjective, but for braking 'Performance' I think you with struggle to find a direct replacement that works better than Ferodo DS in the Volvo's.

Regards,
Hamish.

Chip Tuning Ltd

Babybadger
Thursday 20th April 2006, 14:59
Your race track experiences of Ferodo DS are odd to say the least. Most of the F3 grid use DS3000, AP Racing use Ferodo. The control pad for CLio Cup is Ferodo etc etc. I don't know any real race cars that run Black Diamond. I was driving somebody elses Jedi at the weekend with EBC and the brakes were either off or locked up ! (lacked feel) Brake feel is however subjective, but for braking 'Performance' I think you with struggle to find a direct replacement that works better than Ferodo DS in the Volvo's.

Regards,
Hamish.

Chip Tuning Ltd

I will second that Hamish! Since I bought the brembo/standard ferodo package from you, apart from the odd squeal, they nearly had my eyes out of the sockets after blasting/continual braking.......no fade, slight sponginess of pedal, but that will be the fluid and lack of braided hose with the heat buildup, but no feeling of fade, consistent . Superb feel.

racer
Thursday 20th April 2006, 17:44

Regards,
Hamish.

Chip Tuning Ltd

I was a bit surprised myself at the time. :eek: May have something to do with the Road Saloon regs and the fact we have to run standard disks. OK, the GSi disks are vented, but no grooves or cross drillings are allowed. Basically, everything just got very hot, pads glazed, disks blued etc. Of course, first I knew about it was coming into Lodge at Oulton, when it just didn't slow down. I said "Waaaaaaaaaah" a lot.

I still have a set of DS3000s on the shelf for the Nova. All the positive feedback here is tempting me to stuff them in for the next race and give them another go. Interesting what you say about EBC pads though. Couple of our lot tried them last year (red ones I think), neither of them bought a second set, so they probably had similar problems.

Out of interest, what do you run in the hill climb machine?

BTW, current race car pad is the Mintex F4R. A bit extreem I know, but they seem to put up with the heat issue ok.

Sorry. Thread Hijack. This has bugger all to do with road going Volvos!

T5SLAVE
Thursday 20th April 2006, 21:15

This thread has made some very interesting reading I must say. I always like to read about others experiences with everything motor vehicle! Unfortunately I can only add to this in a very limited capacity as all I can say is that I've used many combo's on all different cars over the years and believe it or not, I've had the best feeling out of using Tar-ox discs (330mm) and EBC pads on a well known fast Ford, on the road and the odd track day...braided hoses were fitted as well, just thought it may be of interest to someone??

Now, back to the original post by Niles. I would completely agree with u mate and say that the std set-up on my T5 feels extremely inadequate if used.....more vigorously :sinner: and over a longer stint, actually gives me no confidence at all...

As a result of this and learning from the experienced members etc on this forum I have made the decision to change/uprate my brakes all round. As soon as I have fitted the 17"'s I will uprate the fronts to 302mil discs using a combination of Tar-ox for the discs and Ferodo DS for the pads. I hope this linked with new std kit fitted at the rear and a flush of Dot 5.1 will stop my beast with much more confidence. :B_steerin

I would like to use tar-ox for the discs due to having very good experiences with them in the past but if any member feels I should do otherwise I would love to know b4 I part with the cash. :)

hamish
Thursday 20th April 2006, 22:41
Out of interest, what do you run in the hill climb machine?

BTW, current race car pad is the Mintex F4R. A bit extreem I know, but they seem to put up with the heat issue ok.

Sorry. Thread Hijack. This has bugger all to do with road going Volvos!

I use DS3000 in the Hillclimb car ! They have the same coefficient of friction at 0 Deg. as at their max. operating temp. Ideal for hillclimb because we don't have an outlap to warm brakes ! So the brakes are the same at the first corner as they are at the last.

Regards,
Hamish.

Colin 850 T5
Thursday 20th April 2006, 23:12
DS3000 is a first rate race pad, DS2500 is an excellant road pad which will take in allsorts of track day use.
EBC is built down to a price and the way they are manufactured means there will always be inconsistencies between batches and/or pads in the same batch. If you like lotteries?

hamish
Thursday 20th April 2006, 23:16
DS3000 is a first rate race pad, DS2500 is an excellant road pad which will take in allsorts of track day use.
EBC is built down to a price and the way they are manufactured means there will always be inconsistencies between batches and/or pads in the same batch. If you like lotteries?

Yep