PDA

View Full Version : Binding? (and remote blipper!)

gtiteen
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:12
Ive been getting a throbbing sound from the front left of the car recently, and it seems to be getting worse. Also the brakes seem to be going long, could this be binding? Will i need a new caliper? if so how much! Just as im getting ready to buy a mod something happens!

Also does anyone know where i can get the remote central locking blipper bit for less than the £40 odd that volvo want!?

Thanks alot,
Dave

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:16
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

x

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:16
I'd be tempted to pay the £40 for a working remote which you know will be programmed correctly and working.

Otherwise just watch Ebay or ring Salvo (10% discount).

t5 stealth
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:20
hi
there is a choice of two remotes on the car,
they look the same but are diffrent frequency,
early & late model is the difrence,
1 will work & 1 wont,
& you can programme it yourself,
only takes 2 minits if its done correct,
the noise on the brake mite b a wheel bearing starting to wear,
does it get worse as it warms up or change wen you go round corners,,ie with weight on left wheel or right wheel.

gtiteen
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:35
I havent noticed it changing as i go round corners, but it does seem to vary in intensity. Ill try and work out if there is a pattern. Also i checked and the wheels didnt seem too hot. Would you suggest i just book it in somewhere to be checked?

Ive been warned about the different remotes down at volvo. I want to try and buy a cheaper one as £40 makes possibilities of RICA and 18's even more distant.

Dave

nobananas
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:37
A word on eBay key fobs. There are two different types that look exactly the same but work one different frequencies. I had to buy 3 before I found the correct one for my 850. I thought the key-fobs were a lot dearer then 40 quid ! Had I known I wouldn't have wasted my time ! Incidently, I have a key-fob spare if anyone's interested. Cost me £25 of ebay. Will take £20 for it ( it may need a new battery) and will accept it back if it's the wrong one for your car. Not going to re-list it because if it doesn't work for someone they might tarnish my feedback !

t5 stealth
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 21:41
they do go on ebay but they seem to go for stupid prices,
sometimes its cheaper to get it from volvos,
as to the prob with the brake or the noise,
if the wheels arnt getting excessivly hot after a normal (not thrashed) drive then i dought its a calliper,
most likely to be the wheel bearing,asumeing its not a knocking noise,
i think the bearing is a one peice unit,
just unbolts if i remember,
not a massive job but i think the bearing can be expensive from memory,

nobananas
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 22:45
I would agree with the wheel bearing diagnosis. A bit worried about you experiencing excessive brake travel, unless the wheeel bearing is so worn that it has excessive amounts off play which could cause the disc to tip slightly in the caliper and spread the pads which would cause long travel on the next brake application. Jack up both sides and give the wheel a good shake top to bottom to check for play.

woz
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 23:42
OK so how do you do it? Bought one on Ebay and been sat looking at it scared to ask Volvo how much to encode it.

I can manage as long as no special euipment required. (Used to fit alarms and recode fobs for the ones I ftted)

Thanks in advance
Woz

dafinchie
Thursday 20th April 2006, 00:13
Hi
I got a remote off of ebay, i just went for the one that looked the same as the remote i already had. I know there are two types but i thought there was a visable difference, both had two buttons one had the buttons side by side one had the buttons one above the other, the type i had was with the buttons one above the other. I followed the instructions in the owners manual to encode the remote as follows:
Close all the doors bonnet and boot
Switch the ignition on and off 5 times within 10 seconds and leave the ignition on the 5th time
Press one of the 2 buttons on each remote control
The first remote has to be programed within 15 seconds. the rest must be programmed a maximum of 10 seconds apart from each other.
You can have upto 4 remote controls.

It worked for me but i may have just been lucky.
I hope this helps

t5 stealth
Thursday 20th April 2006, 07:23
as the man said,,
its just about getting the sequence right,
when u push the top button on the remote wen programmeing
the red alarm led wil flash & come on for a second wen u push button to sho it has recognised the remote

woz
Friday 21st April 2006, 02:21
Thanks - will try it and let you know. Its obviously a case of RTFM eh?
Cheers
Woz

gtiteen
Friday 21st April 2006, 20:47
Ouch, £250 for new front discs and pads!! Getting it done on wednesday. Apparently the wheel bearing is making some noise but its not anything to worry about really, im not too sure though!

To cap things of it looks like the small leak from by the turbo is most likely the seals rather than a feed pipe. Right bugger of a day as now all the stuff i've saved for looks like it will have to be put off even more.

Dave

poochingaround
Friday 21st April 2006, 21:27
IF bearing is making any sort of undue noises you MUST change it.If unsure get a second opinion .

gtiteen
Friday 21st April 2006, 21:37
I think i will do as it does worry me. How much am i looking at to have the wheel bearing done? If its not TOO! expensive i may have it done just to be safe.
Dave

blackbooty
Friday 21st April 2006, 21:52
Ouch, £250 for new front discs and pads!! Getting it done on wednesday. Apparently the wheel bearing is making some noise but its not anything to worry about really, im not too sure though!

To cap things of it looks like the small leak from by the turbo is most likely the seals rather than a feed pipe. Right bugger of a day as now all the stuff i've saved for looks like it will have to be put off even more.

Dave

ouuuuchhhhh, id say !!!
what are you having fitted for that much mate ?

i forget who just said it but hes right.... any bearing noise is bad !

cant be 100% sure mate about t5 turbo's,but if seals have gone in turbo they burn the oil ,not leak it. surley if you have a small oil leak around your turbo, it must be the oil feed or return.

as has already been said.... get a second opinion mate, and as for the discs and pads... unless your having fast road stuff put on, get yourself down to GSF for the bits, get your tools out and save 150 quid. it aint a hard job mate.
wayne

gtiteen
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:00
Im getting ferrodo stuff put on. 2 front discs and pads with an fluid change and the handbrake tightened for £248 or something. It gets billed to my dads buisiness coz its the garage we use for all the buisinesses cars so might as well get it done there. And i really dont have time to do it myself as im studying to get into medical school at the moment!!

I will deffinitley get a second opinion on the oil leak and the wheel bearing. I bought the car with the leak coz i was sure it was from a feed pipe, but the car has done 166,000 now. All possibilities of RICA and 18's out the window for a while now.

On the upside i might be getting hold of the numberplate VG20!

Dave

poochingaround
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:09
I agree entirely with Black Booty .Although i am unfamiliar with the set up of the Volvo petrol engines as a Rolls Royce and Cummins Diesels trained service engineer his diagnosis of your turbo fault is absolutely correct .If able to carry out the spanner work yourself a considerable amount of money can be saved.If not seek out someone with a little more knowledge than your previous diagnosisee .The sum for changing discs and pads seems rather excessive.Buy your spares from GSF and ask their advice for a recommended spanner man.

blackbooty
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:19
Im getting ferrodo stuff put on. 2 front discs and pads with an fluid change and the handbrake tightened for £248 or something. It gets billed to my dads buisiness coz its the garage we use for all the buisinesses cars so might as well get it done there. And i really dont have time to do it myself as im studying to get into medical school at the moment!!

I will deffinitley get a second opinion on the oil leak and the wheel bearing. I bought the car with the leak coz i was sure it was from a feed pipe, but the car has done 166,000 now. All possibilities of RICA and 18's out the window for a while now.

On the upside i might be getting hold of the numberplate VG20!

Dave

good old Pa, he he, i like it mate.
its usually the oil return pipe gasket that leaks (2.50p i think mine was).
hope all goes well with the brakes, enjoy the car while you can, i can forsee some long days n nights when you get into med school.

gtiteen
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:25
Im just gonna get the brakes done at this place who looked at it. But as to everything else a second opinion will be sought. TBH i wouldnt trust these guys with a pair of scissors as far as 'performance' engines go. We sent one of our supras down there once and it came back blown up!

What would happen of either the turbo seals and the wheel bearing were left unattended?

Dave

blackbooty
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:41
Im just gonna get the brakes done at this place who looked at it. But as to everything else a second opinion will be sought. TBH i wouldnt trust these guys with a pair of scissors as far as 'performance' engines go. We sent one of our supras down there once and it came back blown up!

What would happen of either the turbo seals and the wheel bearing were left unattended?

Dave

holy sh.. , im not going anywher near them.
wheel bearing.... i suppose if in extremely bad condition.... masses of heat and eventual bearing self destruct (never had this prob, maybe sum1 with experience can advise).
feed or return gasket failure is more of a "drive stainer" unless its a large enough leak to starve the turbo shaft of oil (very bad).
you would be loosing a fair bit of oil if this was the case tho mate, the turbo oil feed is pumped in, the return is via gravity.

madness
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:48
wheel bearing is a new hub . part 140+ vat ish

gtiteen
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:48
Right then i think ill get the second opinion soon. Dont want any unecessary costs! I think the only people i would really be able to 100% trust near by here are SW Autos. Im too busy really to go in the week tho, may have to get brother to take it up.
Dave

blackbooty
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:49
the return oil pipe is lowest on the turbo (gravity return) , the oil feed (pressure)at top.
clean the area and then keep an eye on wher its coming from dave.
youll have to remove the turbo heat shield tho.
wayne.

blackbooty
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:54
wheel bearing is a new hub . part 140+ vat ish

hi madness, didnt realise that.
is that OE or gsf price ?
wayne.