PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension mounts

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 14:12
I need to sort out a knackered suspesion mount on the front.

Volvo suggest it is one of these
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/large_images/30_6713_large.jpg

The one I have currently looks more like this
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/large_images/30_7745_large.jpg
(which is a rear mount)

What gives? These are clearly very different looking.
The car is 99 phase 1 V70 with adjustable Koni struts

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 14:19
First one is the spring seat/top mount for the front of your car. The main shaft of the damper inserts through the middle of the central bush. It castlates with a top mount bearing. I would make sure you have one of each to hand when doing this job.

EDIT
Second one is as you say a rear top mount - but for MY2000 onwards

This is a rear TM for your car
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/large_images/30_6151_large.jpg

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 14:22
Yes. My front has those metal discs which the replacement obviously doesnt.
What is this peice?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 14:34
Not sure what you mean now. The first pic you have from PFV is the spring seat which articulates with a top mount bearing. This bearing is integrated into a metal plate with 3 bolts sticking up through it (which hold the bearing in place at the top of the turret)
The central damper shaft goes through the metal tube part of the bush that goes through the spring seat/top mount. The damper/spring tension held in place with a cruciform nut, which is secured with large circular washer (which in turn is secured with a locking nut). That all pokes through the big hole in the top of the turret. The washer stops the spring seat from disappearing through the top mount bearing, when the wheel is unloaded. Usually this is displaced to one side when the bush degrades/splits. You then get noises of this and/or the bearing.

I am trying to find pictures that explain it a bit better.

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 14:37
Once I have finished my lunch I will go take a pic

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 14:54
This is the strut bearing - http://www.eeuroparts.com/images/parts/14ce160a-c462-4a4a-bd2b-4248d04d4e4e.jpg

Sorry PFV - but I couldnt find the right pic.

You can see from this pic the castelations on the inside of the inner bearing race. These articulate with the spring seat/top mount bush.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 15:11
If you mean by the metal disc - this (arrowed green) - that is the retaining washer

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 15:18
thats the bugger.
When I push down on the wing the whole retaining washer goes up in the air but is firmly attached to the threated part of the shock

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 15:27
That's because that washer is sandwiched between the retaining nut (the one you can see) and the cruciform nut underneath. I suspect that the bush has separated from the spring seat.

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 15:35
I appreciate your replies and dont wish to sound facetious but eh?

Reckon its the first pic I posted I need?
Man at Volvo said he didnt want to comment due to non volvo struts

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 15:54
I would double check this (dont just take my word for it) - but if the bush has become separated from the spring seat portion then the lifting of the retaining washer as the spring is compressed will be come more accentuated. IIRC there is a natural amount of lift/give in the bush anyway, as the damper is compressed.

Man at Volvo said he didnt want to comment due to non volvo strutsThe damper has little to do with it. It would only matter if the diameter of the central rod was the wrong size to that of the metal sheath going through the bush - which it clearly isnt.

In short I would replace the spring seat/top mounts, as necessary.

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 16:00
There isnt a great deal of movement as it has been lowered 40mm but the big metal washer is seperate (ie not partially attatched) and can spin on the strut rod.
This is the part I thought I would need to replace but no-one seems to list it hence my confusion. Even the Volvo parts man came out with the thing I posted first.

If there is something under the wing it needs to be attached to the thing above the wing otherwise it will move like mine does.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 16:18
The 2 bits you need to consider are the spring seat and the strut bearing. The nuts and washers can be re-used. That's it. Underneath it is the shape of the damper shaft that stops it coming up when the damper is compressed the top mount is held in place by the force of the spring - and on the top side - the metal retaining washer.

If you need to remove the suspension strut as a whole then it is just 6 nuts that hold it in.
2 on the steering knuckle, 1 from the anti-roll bar droplink and the 3 x 13mm nuts on the top of the turret.

To split the strut into its parts you'll need to compress the spring (be careful!!) - undo the locking nut - remove the retaining washer and then the cruciform nut. If you are not replacing the spring - you can then swap out the spring seat and strut bearing as necessary and then re-do all the necessary nuts.

Top tip - loosen the top most locking nut with the strut in place - you will need an allen key to stop the central post from rotating.

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 16:38
Cool. Just worried about getting te right bit really

pzorb
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 15:03
Reviving this post, the rubber on my washer has perished. Any ideas where I can get a new one?
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2587&stc=1&d=1145455830