PDA

View Full Version : Welding question

Baj
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 10:32
The bonnet catch on one side of my V70 has been torn, like someone had tried to pry up the bonnet. I want to weld it back together before it rips off.
Question: Is there anything between the skins of the bonnet that may catch fire?

fraz13
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 10:42
This is a common fault, both my S70's have had this..... I've not welded mine but I've seen welded ones so cant see there been any problems apart from the black foam stuff on the underside of the bonnet its self, Remove this and all should be ok

Baj
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 10:50
Cheers. I dont want it popping up while doing speeds on the motorway :)

fraz13
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 10:57
You've still got the other side ;) lol

Colin 850 T5
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 22:59
If you want to be sure that the exterior paint doesnt get damaged, drape a soking wet towel or rag over that area. It will wick the heat away quite well. Weld a bit, wait a bit, weld a bit may be a good strategy

Tomcat
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 23:03
What sort of welder are you using?, mig would probably be best for this, as previously mentioned, just tack weld it a bit at a time and you wont get much heat build up at all.

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 10:29
Yeah a mig probably.
I am unsure whether to tack the tear or put a plate over. Stronger but uglier.

Also umming and ahhing about removing the bonnet. Quicker and easier not to but need to ensure I dont set fire to the engine (covering the bay would be a given).

nobananas
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:45
Butt welding the tear should be strong enough. If done properly it is usually as strong as the surrounding metal. Drape wet rags over the surface of the bonnet as mentioned and weld a bit at a time 'jumping' around the repair to prevent heat build up in one area. Also have your welder turned down low with a fairly slow wire speed and you should be fine.

madness
Friday 21st April 2006, 22:53
dont remove the bonnet, just press the catches down on the hinges to allow it to go vertically up. should be easy then . too much hassle to realign for me!!