PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 R Awd

Cloverleaf
Monday 17th April 2006, 19:36
Do any of you guys have a brochure in pdf format for the 2.4R? I have finally narrowed down my selection of cars to pretty much a Mondeo ST TDCI for fuel economy, a Discovery TD5 for practicality and a 2.4R for the best of all worlds. Suffice to say I have not found a great deal of info relating specifically to the 2.4. I know that they have the twin exhaust and only have the auto box but aside from that i am a bit in the dark. What are the official economy figures (and what am I actually likely to get)? I currently drive a V6 Vectra and actually get very close to the official figures.

Any weaknesses with the auto box fitted? is it a 4 or 5 spd? IIRC it's a 4spd but can't quite remember!
Colour choice? Most I have seen have been blue, if not all of them.
Servicing costs/intervals? When does the cambelt need done?

If I do go for it I will definitely be getting the VT 330bhp remap. Does this effect the on-a-run mpg? I know the foot to the floor economy will go down but some remaps, specifically the VAG ones for the 1.8T can actually improve the mpg for motorway stuff etc.

Are there any spec differences between this and the older, 2.3 engined, cars? Is the SatNav standard fit?

Many thanks!

Al.

splatt
Monday 17th April 2006, 19:55
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/70pressdata.shtml

any use??

Cloverleaf
Monday 17th April 2006, 21:09
Unfortunately there isn't anything there that has info on the 2.4 version...thanks for the link though. Another question I was wondering about was if the 2.4 AWD came with the 16" or the 17" alloys?

Cheers

splatt
Monday 17th April 2006, 21:11
Have a little search around, u may find what u want.....

fraz13
Monday 17th April 2006, 21:59
I wont pretend to know much about these but is the new S60/V70R not 2.5? I assume that is what your talking about???

Theres a couple on here now and I know there manual....

Cloverleaf
Monday 17th April 2006, 23:49
No,it's the very last of the Phase one V70's (S70/V70 chassis rather than S60/V70 chassis). It is a 2.4 engine with the 19T turbo, 265bhp and a bit more torque too. I believe they came out with this as the 2.3 AWD, especially in the Auto mode lacked a bit as there was so much loss through the transmission. I really need the awd for getting in and out of fields (i know it's a performance car and isn't designed for bog snorkelling!) so the 2.4 seems to fit the criteria perfectly. Added to which I would prefer not to have the FWD with all it's torque steer once it's chipped so AWD it is!

I have searched on here but very little comes up unfortunately as it cuts out a lot of the searches because they are too short. Any help would be much appreciated. I am away on holiday until sunday but should still be able to view this from my phone...I think! :dunce:

Cheers

lab-monkey
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 01:04
Hi

"Any weaknesses with the auto box fitted? is it a 4 or 5 spd?"

Auto box is fine its a 5 speed auto on the 2.4 (265bhp model). It can take a bit of time to update style of driving ie from driving in comfort mode to suddenly going to red line mode, the gear changes can be very clunky.

only big weakness is the awd system esp if tyres are not looked after and all changed at the same time, fuel wise i was getting 20-23 around town and 30-35 on long runs.

As for colours i only think the twin pipe (265 model) came in Laser Blue ?

i thing that needs to be changed on the car asap would be the brakes, because as standard "Rubbish" would spring to mind :)

Jay
________
Laos cooking (http://www.cooking-chef.com/laos/)

Cloverleaf
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 09:47
Cool, the 5spd auto definitely improves things a bit in my eyes! is there a manual override on it? I have to admit that, although a petrolhead, I have never paid much attention to auto's so couldn't say what are normal features and what aren't!

30-35 on a run sounds good too..about what I get at the mo. I am aware of the tyre issue so will make sure to rotate the tyres frequently. If it's the 17" wheels that the 2.4 comes with i actually have a new set of Eagle F1's in the garage that would work. I got them for the current car but haven't got around to refurbing the 17" wheels I was going to fit them to.

I have spotted a few 2.4's for 9-10k so that leaves me with at least £900 to spend on the brakes. Probably a godspeed brembo 4 pot kit.

Laser blue isn't a prob, I qould prefer grey or black but te blue looks nice, especially with the crystal headlamps and the carbon front splitter which blends in too much on the darker colours.

madness
Thursday 20th April 2006, 22:29
one tip- landrovers break down alot compared to volvos !!!!!!!

siamblue
Thursday 20th April 2006, 23:06
If this is any interest to you, there is a V70R AWD 2,4 for sale on Auto trader, he doesn't state mileage, probably inter galactic at £4995, private sale too,
The V70R does come with 16" wheels in the guise of Solar, I think they were a comfort package, for people not liking the Comets, :slap:

Gary,

Cloverleaf
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 20:11
Yup, I know the Land Rovers break down frequently. Fortunately I have a friend who is a main dealer technician who can get all the diagnostics done free and gets massive discounts on parts. Not too bad.

However, back to the Volvo. Sorted which wheels are which now!

The main thing i'm wanting to know still are the spec/trim differences between the 2.3 R and the 2.4 R. Also, is the engine any stronger internally? I have been rethinking through a few things and as I would be getting the 330bhp RICA remap, was wondering if there would actually be any benefit of going for the 2.4 as both end up with the same figures?

Does anyone actually have definitive spec lists for these two cars as well? The 2.4 seems to come with a lot more toys but then you do pay for it and you also have to have the auto...

Cheers.

Engineer
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 20:20
The following is from the VOC site which I have pinched / borrowed it may help you with your dilema.

There were 3 phases of R-AWD produced between 1997 and 2000:-

Phase 1 :- were produced in 1997 and 1998 (P - S reg)and were available with either the B5234T-4 engine (18T turbo 250bhp/350nm)and 5-speed manual gearbox or the B5234T-6 engine (16T turbo 240bhp/310nm) and 4-speed 3 mode automatic gearbox. Both engines used the Motronic 4.4 engine management system. (0-60 7.3/8.1, 152/143mph)

Phase 2 :- were produced in 1999 (S - T reg) and were only available with the B5234T-8 engine (18T turbo 250bhp/310nm) and 4-speed adaptive automatic gearbox. These cars use the ME7 engine management system with fly by wire throttle and variable exhaust camshaft. (0-60 7.8 143mph)

Phase 3 :- were produced in 1999 and early 2000 (T - W reg) and were only available with the B5244RT ? engine (19T turbo 265bhp/350nm) and 5-speed adaptive automatic gearbox. These also use the ME7 engine management system as with the phase 2 cars. These cars were fitted with twin tail pipes and vented disc's all-round (0-60 7.3 152mph)

Trim and spec levels remained virtually un-changed through out the 3 phases. Trim was Leather and Alcantara in either Beige or Grey with aluminium effect trim on the dash and console (dark wood was an option). On phase 1 cars the steering wheel was also leather/alcantara, but phase 2 and 3 had a thicker rimmed leather only wheel. Phase 3 cars had the option of contrasting grey/beige trim. These cars were virtually "fully-loaded" with very few options available (mainly pro-logic, 6 cd changer, sat-nav) as they cost about £37,000 when new!! Phase 3 front seats had "whips" system fitted.

All phases were available with either 16" or 17" wheels in either silver or anthracite finish with temp spare wheel.

The colours available were I think as follows :-

Phase 1 :- Saffron, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Regency Red?

Phase 2 :- Lazer Blue, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Cassis, Classic Red, Dark Olive

Phase 3 :- as per phase 2

siamblue
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 20:53
Does anyone actually have definitive spec lists for these two cars as well? The 2.4 seems to come with a lot more toys but then you do pay for it and you also have to have the auto...

Cheers.

Mine is fully loaded except Sat nav and a 2.3 1999 model, where did you get that info from?

Gary.

Cloverleaf
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:13
Ok, I think I have been comparing them to the older 2.3 R's and the non AWD versions as the last 2.3's seem to have virtually the same spec as the 2.4's...other than the mandatory Auto box.

Also, looking at the info from 'Engineer', it would appear that only the earlier cars were available in Saffron?

Can anyone actually compare driving the 2.4 and the 2.3? Is there really a noticeable difference, especially after being chipped. I would have thought that the auto would actually take the edge off the power but then again, because the same power is coming from a greater capacity, I would have thought that the engine was less stressed...anyone else have any theories on this?

Actually, another point I picked up there is that the last 2.3's were only available as the auto. Is this definitely the case?

Again, many thanks for all this help!

Cloverleaf
Wednesday 26th April 2006, 21:55
Hmm, I have just worked out the the 16/17" wheels does not matter. I have a set of GSI vectra wheels in the garage which will fit with a set of Wobbly bolts.

Volvo:
5*108 pcd
65.1mm bore
ET40
7*17"

Vx:
5*110 pcd
65.1mm bore
ET41
7*17"

Perfecto! I would prefer pukka 17" Volvo wheels but the vec ones would look fine if it came to that.

Still narrowing the options down but if it is an auto that I end up getting I will definitely be getting the 2.4, I don't think I could hack a 4spd auto box! Thanks for all the help guys!

muscas
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:57
Should you need any info on the 2.4 Phase III, I would be happy to help.

I wrote that previous thread explaining the 3 different phases on www.v70r.com.

Regards

Patrick