PDA

View Full Version : Eeep! Waterleak

Baj
Monday 17th April 2006, 14:39
I have done 1000 miles since I bought the V70 a little under 2 weeks ago.
Last week I checked the levels and the coolant water was in the middle of the reservoir. Yesterday the coolant warning light came on so I topped it up (it was just under the minimum).
Today the light came on again and it is way below the minimum.
I had a look under the car and there are no obvious puddles or drips.
The oil on the dipstick looks clean.

Is there somewhere less obvious I should be looking?
This is too much too lose without leaving some trace

pikeajm
Monday 17th April 2006, 14:44
are your carpets wet?

Baj
Monday 17th April 2006, 14:51
No the cats are housetrained.. Oh, the car, not that I have noticed.
Are we thinking heater?

pikeajm
Monday 17th April 2006, 14:55
it is posible just wanted to rule the heater out thats all as i heard they can ne fun to do but not in a nice way but do not quote me on that

Baj
Monday 17th April 2006, 15:15
it is posible just wanted to rule the heater out thats all as i heard they can ne fun to do but not in a nice way but do not quote me on that

Just checked, the carpet is fine.

I am assuming a split pipe somewhere but it seems to keep the pressure in the header.
I am gonna have to wait for it to cool, refill and start her up to see if I can see or hear something.
The pipes are all so buried away its a nightmare.

Andrew
Monday 17th April 2006, 15:15
Heater Matrix leaking would have puddle of watter under or on matt in passenger side.

I had a similar thing but mine was leaking on the drive - found out their is a little known plug/drain at the back of the engine that had come loose.

The only other time I had significant loss I had a very minor head gasket failure. You can get kit / test from halfords or a dealer can do it. They check for fumes in the expanision tank.

Baj
Monday 17th April 2006, 15:34
I dont want a head gasket failure, however minor

Andrew
Monday 17th April 2006, 15:43
I dont want a head gasket failure, however minor

Nobody ever does - but worth going for the test - only takes a couple of minutes, especially if no other explination.

Ac

splatt
Monday 17th April 2006, 15:48
If it is the head you will normally find oil in water or water in oil, check both...As AC says, best way is to have i tested, easily done and put your mind at rest....if it is leaking from the cap or a pipe you will probably find residue around the leak...
Keep us posted...

Andrew
Monday 17th April 2006, 15:59
If it is the head you will normally find oil in water or water in oil, check both...As AC says, best way is to have i tested, easily done and put your mind at rest....if it is leaking from the cap or a pipe you will probably find residue around the leak...
Keep us posted...

Interestingly mine at the time didn't show either - the first test didn't show anything - the week later the same test did.... either way a quick test will put your mind at rest as Pat said.
Ac.

mikezero
Monday 17th April 2006, 17:34
the rad went on my car recently, it was the plastic ends bits that were giving up, the seal part had started to go pourous, i too didnt get any puddles on driveway, i think it was leaking when car was on the move, there was a tiny of water coming from the plastic undertray of engine , under rad, but never dripped on to driveway, weird

so maybe it might be a new rad u might need

Baj
Monday 17th April 2006, 17:51
Woohoo panic over!

After standing and looking at it wit hthe engine running and getting nowhere I filled it and drove to Halfords.
They looked blank at the idea of a test kit for the head gasket, however after a discussion we all agreed that if I lost that much water overnight to a head gasket the car would be showing signs.
I got out after parking at home and there was a lovely trail of water.
Never have I been so pleased to see my car leaking :D

A quick pop under the bonnet showed me where it was coming from.
The pipe under the expansion tank, as it curves around the back of the block, has been rubbing on the engine cowling. The split was hidden on the inside of the curve.

Volvo parts are shut tomorrow but I have remembered German and Swedish are round the corner. Hopefully they will have something.
I may be late for work though!

Cheers all

Adge
Monday 17th April 2006, 17:56
Wouldn't it be great if all probs. were so simple.
It's still good to see all the possible helpful responses though.

Baj
Monday 17th April 2006, 18:01
Why we couldnt find it before baffles me but yes, it was relatively easy :)

Andrew
Monday 17th April 2006, 18:03
Great news - a nice cheap solution.

Ac.

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 10:35
Ahahah Nice easy problem.
Volvo were shut Tuesday so that was a day off work. I am a self employed contractor. No work no pay.
Went into Volvo this morning. They dont stock it and neither do any local branches.
Another day off while they order it.

neevo
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 16:38
Haven't you got any duct tape for a temp bodge? Fixes many faults, would fix my boss too if I could find a lamp post to tape him to on the moors...!

Baj
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 20:17
Work is in Shuddersfield so involves M62 carpark and then jams from it (oh and jams on the approach to the motorway too).
I dont think I would trust gaffer tape.
Besides I am happy of the excuse to say at home and catch up on private work :)

Baj
Thursday 20th April 2006, 13:28
Job done. The hole itself was a slit less than 2mm long. I barely found it with the pipe off the car. Was beginning to worry I had changed the wrong bit!

LeeT5
Saturday 22nd April 2006, 01:04
well done for finding the leak!!

In future do yourself a favour and dont go to halfords. There are two types of test kit on the market which can test for head gasket and other leaks. One is a 'coolant pressure tester' and the other is a 'sniffer kit'.
The first can be used to pressurise your coolant system WITHOUT running the engine up to a safe maximum of 15 psi. At this pressure you will definately have seen the leak. The second is to test for head gasket leakage big or small, it works cos i use it on a regular basis.

Any garage worth it's weight would have known about these two testers and will have them.

For all those that are members of the AA or RAC and you suspect a leak, pick up the phone and make the call. We carry the equipment and it only take 5 minutes to test safely.

Halfords..tsk, what a bunch of muppets. :slap: