PDA

View Full Version : Lower engine mounts

heyes
Sunday 16th April 2006, 20:00
Does a v70 t5 have lower engine mounts. The reason I ask is when I had my Saab 9000 aero it was agood idea to check them then replace if neccessary. As my t5 has done 106k and am about to get it re mapped I was wondering if this was something that could be done. I have done the top one already.

blackbooty
Sunday 16th April 2006, 20:43
how ya doin heyes,nothing to do with ya thread mate im affraid, just wanted to say...
i wanted an aero but couldnt afford one, so i just lowerd it and threw a set of 16" super aero alloys on a cde fpt (cheepskate) lol.
wayne.

racer
Sunday 16th April 2006, 20:57
Yes, it does. By spooky coincidence, I'm just about to change mine, due to the fact that the engine moves about when you lean on it!

There's one at the front onto the subframe, one at the back, again onto the subframe, another one just under the crank pully and finally a torque bar arrangement roughly below the engine / gearbox join.

Ordered the whole lot from PFV, but they did take a couple of weeks to arrive from Sweden. Massively cheaper than a dealer though.

SaffronC70
Sunday 16th April 2006, 21:21
Hi

Let us know how you get on changing them !

I'm tempted to change my subframe for the older 850 style so I can have the poly bush mounts as well . . .

Thanks

Chris

racer
Sunday 16th April 2006, 21:32
Will do. Mr Haynes makes the whole process sound easy, so I'm expecting the "un-documented problem" to strike!! ;)

racer
Monday 17th April 2006, 22:03
Well, that could have gone better. Biggest issue is access. Also remove the battery leads as you will be waving bits of socket set about VERY close to the starter motor feed cables.

To get at the front engine mount, take the fan out and remove your intercooler hoses. This just about gives enough room to be able to swing a ratchet on the front engine mount to block bolts.

Lower torque bar jobbie is easy once you've got the car up on the axle stands.

Front of engine to subframe mount is not too bad, just needs use of the universal joints from the socket set to get the subframe bolts off and on.

Rear one I bottled out on. It requires you to be completely under the car to get at it. As I was on my own, I didn't want to take the risk, so I'll leave that to the guys at the local garage when it's MOT time.

The disaster happened with the starter motor. I wanted to remove the power cables to give myself a bit more room. The 13mm nut holding the cables on the back of the starter was a bit tight. I couldn't see it and turn it at the same time. Result was the whole rear of the solenoid bit rotated in it's housing, pulling the internal wiring apart and writing off the starter. Arse. :(

Car is currently parked up in the garage the race car lives in, staying put till I get a new starter.

Rats.

Straker
Monday 17th April 2006, 22:14
Racer

You are now the expert.

What is the difference between the 850 and V70 (have you had any experiance with the 850). I thinking fit the V70 engine mounts to my 850 to lower the engine and therefore COFG of the car.

Do you reckon this would work and if you don't mind me asking hom much were the complete set of mounts?

racer
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 10:42
Straker, cost of the mounts from PFV were :-
RH Flatish plate type mount 28.60
Front cylindrical type mount 33.62
Front Tie bar type mount 20.40
Rear cylindrical type mount 32.18

I've no idea what the differences between the 850 and the V70 are. My 850 experience is limited to a few thousand miles driving of a friends R.

I personally would not try to lower the engine. Just from looking at mine (P1 V70) you can't go much more than 10mm before rotating things start to hit non rotating things. Plus I'm happy for my subframe to be the first thing to meet Mr Speedramp, rather than the sump.

Also if you've lowered the car on shorter springs, you'll make the angle of the driveshafts greater. This will wear out your CV joints faster, so more reason to leave the engine where it is.

Unless you have a race future planned for the car that is......... ;)

Babybadger
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 11:38
Straker, cost of the mounts from PFV were :-
RH Flatish plate type mount 28.60
Front cylindrical type mount 33.62
Front Tie bar type mount 20.40
Rear cylindrical type mount 32.18

I've no idea what the differences between the 850 and the V70 are. My 850 experience is limited to a few thousand miles driving of a friends R.

I personally would not try to lower the engine. Just from looking at mine (P1 V70) you can't go much more than 10mm before rotating things start to hit non rotating things. Plus I'm happy for my subframe to be the first thing to meet Mr Speedramp, rather than the sump.

Also if you've lowered the car on shorter springs, you'll make the angle of the driveshafts greater. This will wear out your CV joints faster, so more reason to leave the engine where it is.

Unless you have a race future planned for the car that is......... ;)

Have you got a weblink for PFV?

Straker
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 13:00
Ok cheers for the info Racer. I put this mod in the nice idea but category....

Thanks.

racer
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 14:10
Brother Badger, 'ere you go....

www.partsforvolvosonline.com

SaffronC70
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 14:52
Made any difference mate ?

Thanks !

racer
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 00:54
Just driven it home. Yup, huge difference, the engine doesn't flap about when you lean on it. Plus the thump that went with lifting off has gone. :)

Happy Racer!

SaffronC70
Wednesday 19th April 2006, 10:43
Just driven it home. Yup, huge difference, the engine doesn't flap about when you lean on it. Plus the thump that went with lifting off has gone. :)

Happy Racer!

I got that thump ! Will lookinto the front/rear stabiliser mounts then !

Thanks