PDA

View Full Version : 850R suspension a bit soggy/worn

simonc
Sunday 16th April 2006, 18:49
My 850R auto has done 143k & i'm sure the suspension is past its best as you can feel the front shocks bottom right out when you hit bumps sometimes,the shocks don't do much anymore,not damping very well & the ride is as bumpy as anything if not on a totally smooth road. It has the self leveling nivomats on the rear.

I want to renew the suspension either with the original stuff but i expect thats stupid money for OE, or a koni suspension kit but i'm not interested in lowering it anymore than a standard ride height 850R. How do you get round the rear self leveling as i don't care wether i retain it or not.

Anyone give me some advise or know where i can buy a decent kit, i still want to retain a decent ride quality.

Thanks Simon.

iGGy
Sunday 16th April 2006, 19:39
This weekend I find myself in exactly the same position with my 855R. After taking the front suspension off to do CV boots, the NS driveshaft going to require a huge press as it isn't going to budge, I decided that everything bar my drop links is completely shot.

I don't have any need for lowering the car or to make it handle like a circuit racer and I'm not too concerned about the self levelling rear.

Hopefully someone will steer us in the right direction :B_steerin

Mrsmopp
Sunday 16th April 2006, 20:36
Unfortunatrly suspension isn't my forte but if you want to go down the orginal R spec route then it might be worth talking to Marshall's as they will be able to give you the best dealership price.

x

iGGy
Monday 17th April 2006, 11:36
I've dropped a line to Oliver and a few other places for prices. Would be nice to use Volvo control arms though.

I managed to get the driveshaft out of the hub by the application of my 10 tonne hydraulic puller and me swinging off it like a Gorilla :bounce:

LeeT5
Saturday 22nd April 2006, 02:05
My 850R auto has done 143k & i'm sure the suspension is past its best as you can feel the front shocks bottom right out when you hit bumps sometimes,the shocks don't do much anymore,not damping very well & the ride is as bumpy as anything if not on a totally smooth road. It has the self leveling nivomats on the rear.

I want to renew the suspension either with the original stuff but i expect thats stupid money for OE, or a koni suspension kit but i'm not interested in lowering it anymore than a standard ride height 850R. How do you get round the rear self leveling as i don't care wether i retain it or not.

Anyone give me some advise or know where i can buy a decent kit, i still want to retain a decent ride quality.

Thanks Simon.

Where in Kent do you live?
I think with some minor adjustments you can get rid of nivomats and stick on normal shocks. Springs are cheap but shocks vary. I'm getting Bilstein 10% stiffer than oe ones for my T5 estate all for £250. Springs i got £109 40mm.

simonc
Saturday 22nd April 2006, 17:25
Hi, i'm in Herne Bay.

I phoned Don at Kalmar Union Volvo tuning & he suggested Bilstein with eibach springs which would lower it a touch more. Is that where your getting yours ?

Simon.

LeeT5
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 20:40
Hi, i'm in Herne Bay.

I phoned Don at Kalmar Union Volvo tuning & he suggested Bilstein with eibach springs which would lower it a touch more. Is that where your getting yours ?

Simon.

No. Got my springs and getting my shocks from PFV online.

simonc
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:45
I see PFV do a koni kit with springs for £459

Simon.

simonc
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:48
Am i right in saying to swap from nivomat self leveling to normal rear shocks & new springs the only thing different needed to mount the new shock is a new top mount.

Simon.

RODD
Monday 24th April 2006, 00:19
Hi just fitted gaz fully adjustable ride hight and preload and damping also adjustable camber springs and shocks all round thay are the ££££££££ got them for £800 from Zeneth Swansea :anmflower

LeeT5
Monday 1st May 2006, 00:56
Am i right in saying to swap from nivomat self leveling to normal rear shocks & new springs the only thing different needed to mount the new shock is a new top mount.

Simon.

YES!