PDA

View Full Version : Got The RICA back

glock19
Friday 18th March 2005, 01:52
Received the RICA unit back yesterday. Quite fast actually for the shipping which is four days in transit and didn’t go through customs.
Thank you Adam + Hamish for the support.

Fixed it to the car last night and had a short run with it. Off hand with the butt dyno, felt that there's significant improvement on the mid-to-higher RPMs. Revs seems to move effortlessly pass the 5,500 mark, auto up-shifted just as it was touching 6,000 revs. You can hear very well, the CBV going off and all the car components are still standard. The S/E/W mode was set to SPORT (it has been there all along) and this morning I tried it in ECON. Would prefer it in SPORT eventually. The car was drivable through all ranges and up-shifting was smooth – maybe too smooth that you won’t notice that the car is re-chipped. One CRV was bugging me from the rear and upon making a left long sweeper with the throttle down, the CRV was left practically standing. I think he’ll think twice to about tailgating a 855 wagon again.

Earlier in the day when the car was still standard, had a tussle with a tuned Civic (with GT spoiler). Mid-range wise, the T5 was better but once the VTEC reaches higher RPMs, you can see him closing the gap and eventually he went forward as I was stuck in traffic. Frankly speaking, even without traffic, I think I would still be behind him until the cars are in the 200km/h (125mph) region. The T5 was like out of juice and since mine is auto, I couldn’t coax more from it. How I wish mine was a manual then. With the RICA, I would like to meet up with this Civic again. Hope we get a long stretch of open road to really see the benefit of the RICA.

Later this afternoon, I’ll be taking off from work to “evaluate” the new addition. Looking into the braking department to stop the brick ASAP as I feel the wagon’s brakes are lacking. Any of you have this phenomenon ? Sorry for being long winded but I guess most T5 owners would like to give some feedback on the improvements done, right ?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th March 2005, 02:35
it doesnt sound like the car is running on full song to be honest.

Might I suggest that you do a proper stage 0 tune up to ensure you are running as best you can and get a calibrated boost gauge to make sure you make and hold the regimented 1.1 - 1.2 bar boost. Though doubtless Adam and Hamish have already advised you on much of this.

As a guide - mine with the new 15G turbo makes and holds 0.8 to 1 bar in 2nd, 1 bar in 3rd and 1.25 in top

glock19
Friday 18th March 2005, 04:48
Dave,
The third paragraph is a recollection of the day's event (with the CIVIC) prior to the installation of the RICA, so that doesn't count. Do you mean I should feel drastic acceleration even from bottom up like the car is pulling like crazy ? All this while, I've been on SPORT mode for so long and constantly going to the 5k rpms, so in a way, I'm tuned to the rush of the car.

With the RICA, the feel of acceleration slightly improved (120km/h or 75mph, in 2nd autogear) but I'll have to put back my standard ECU to recheck. I'm sure my top speed would increas too if I shift up the gears. As for the boost gauge, would it be sufficient take the hose going to the dash turbo gauge or should I take from the manifold (before throttle body) ?

volvotuning
Friday 18th March 2005, 10:26
it doesnt sound like the car is running on full song to be honest.

Might I suggest that you do a proper stage 0 tune up to ensure you are running as best you can and get a calibrated boost gauge to make sure you make and hold the regimented 1.1 - 1.2 bar boost. Though doubtless Adam and Hamish have already advised you on much of this.

As a guide - mine with the new 15G turbo makes and holds 0.8 to 1 bar in 2nd, 1 bar in 3rd and 1.25 in top

Dave,

On the 280 bhp upgrade (which James has), you don't get 1.2 bar. About 1 bar is what it should be.

James, you need to check for air leaks too.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th March 2005, 11:20
Sorry I was working under the idea that it was the full blown RICA.

James, I am sorry if you think I was being unduly harsh. I get carried away sometimes. :hidesbehi

and I misread your initial post.

glock19
Friday 18th March 2005, 17:48
It's okay Dave, I think you meant well though. I welcome all inputs from everyone. Whether I digest them into my system is another story ... :beer:

Alright Adam, will give it a thorough check tomorrow.

S60T5
Saturday 19th March 2005, 12:07
Hello every body...
I guess that RICA is that you put a new chip in the engine´s ECU box?
Am I right?
How much is the cost of doing that?
I´m an educated circuitwelder, I don´t know the name of it in English...

I did my own ECU uppgrade. The cost was £140.
But then it was an used chip and i welded for about 3 hours...
So many legs on that chip...

But I can do it for you guys with new chips for about £400 including shipping back to you. The shipping to me is at your cost.
Just shout If you are interested.
I have one chiped box for an auto. 94-96 850/855 Turbo.
With the ecu number 0 261 203 073 (074)
This has got a 280Bhp chip with a lower boost in gear nr 1 and close to the change from gear nr 2-3. But normaly runs at 1.0 boost.

Mvh / Peter Larsson

glock19
Saturday 19th March 2005, 14:50
Hello Adam, Hamish, Dave,
This morning went through the car for leaks and checks, etc but the system was fine. Then I recalled getting some feedback from another T5 use that mine has a rather high hissing sound during boost, so I pull the WG bar and found that it was rather sensitive. Maybe I was losing precious boost through an early WG. So, took out the heat shield and notice that the WG setting was rather soft, it was like the cotter pin related flange just drops into the WG lever. Turn it 2 and half times and went out for another test.

Wow, the ride was much, much different. In-dash gauge reach like 2 mm before the end of the white patch. Boost was holding, the car was beastly, didn't have time to notice the speedometer. Later fixed a (non-calibrated) boost gauge on the bonnet (double sided tape) by tapping the vaccum/boost line from the WG diaphram but the gauge couldn't read and the overboost was apparent (in-dash gauge shot of the white scale). Maybe it was a wrong point. However, was overall please with the new found power and the early hissing sound during boost was gone.

Maybe you guys can confirm the hissing sound was from a wrong WG setting ?