PDA

View Full Version : What To Do First

T5ER
Friday 14th April 2006, 22:42
right after a stage 0 what would you lot recommend to do to uprate the bhp without to much stress on the engine as you all know i work in the parts dept of marshall volvo along side olly but we are both new to this i now have a 96 854 T5 with 130k on the clock olly now has his own car a 99 S40 1.8 so hence the questions this is the first itme of owning and running a ovlov so help would be greatfull

Murphy
Friday 14th April 2006, 22:45
IMO - I would upgrade the brakes, then the suspension. This will improve the driving dynamics no end. Then I would consider adding more power. I did it all the wrong way around and had a missile with ££££ tyres, brakes and suspension, which was interesting!

T5ER
Friday 14th April 2006, 22:49
i like it intresting murphy had a vauxhall carlton gsi 3000 24v which had standard brakes and suspension but was runnin 260bhp at the wheels,once raced a BMW M5 down the A46 and gave him the finger at 130mph as i dropped mine into 5th gear and left him sat in the outside lane,so to me power first then upgrade brakes and sus l8r

Mrsmopp
Saturday 15th April 2006, 00:06
You dont need a bigger intercooler - the standard IC is plenty efficent until you start running really big power.

TBH I would get it right and spend your money getting up to scratch before you start playing with the power delivery - no point trying to run any more power if the rest of the car isn't up to it.

Get it A1 then save up for a remap and some brakes

x

The Flying Banana
Saturday 15th April 2006, 00:12
i like it intresting murphy had a vauxhall carlton gsi 3000 24v which had standard brakes and suspension but was runnin 260bhp at the wheels,once raced a BMW M5 down the A46 and gave him the finger at 130mph as i dropped mine into 5th gear and left him sat in the outside lane,so to me power first then upgrade brakes and sus l8r

are you sure it wasnt a 535 Sport ..... never had an M5 that ran out of puff at 130?

Anyway ..go for barkes and an MBC !!!

T5SLAVE
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:20
The above comments are all very true and correct T5ER, so take heed...I have added more power to cars in the past, completley ignoring other very (and arguably most important!) stuff like brakes and sus, only to find myself in many a sticky situation :frown:
Remember also, if you do add power or even MORE power u will more than likely kill the existing brakes in double kwik time anyway so u may as well uprate 'em first. I have also killed suspension setups with large amounts of power running rear drive cars in the past...tramp, tramp and erm more tramp :slap:
These ere T5's seem 2b excellent cars from standard so tread carefully me thinx as a newbie...I'm gonna uprate my front brakes to 302mm jobies with 5.1 fluid in the coming weeks. If I make it to VT on the 29th I'll let them tell me how and what to do re getting more power out, that way I know I'm in safe hands :B_steerin

T5ER
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:47
no flying b it was a M5 but they are restricted to 155 my carlton was rr at 260bhp a the wheels @ 176.7mph so he could not keep up on acceleration from 130 upwards was very funny,I am going to get him A1 first then do the 302mm brake conversion and prob go for R type suspension set up or if my plans come together might even go for coilovers

Matt30462
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:49
IMO - I would upgrade the brakes, then the suspension. This will improve the driving dynamics no end. Then I would consider adding more power. I did it all the wrong way around and had a missile with ££££ tyres, brakes and suspension, which was interesting!

I second this comment. Safe and sure first then Xtra power later. Beside the fact you know the car is sound, with good tyres, shocks, brakes etc you can do far more with the power that already exists ....thus the vehicle feels faster anyway.

T5ER
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:50
i was thinking of a brake fluid change aswell but not 5.1 going to get some from topsecret in japan they do racing brake fluid (see thread fast supra 2) there is a link in there to there website go to products they do racing brake fluid and its a reasonable price to

Vikingxl
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:59
I agree with Moppy and Murphy you need to get it running right and then sort the brakes/suspension before playing with the power.

nobananas
Saturday 15th April 2006, 11:40
I would agree with making it safe to handle more power. You could add a MBC valve . I did with mine as I can't afford Rica at the moment but I only turned the boost up to slightly above stock, more to compensate for a slack wastegate then anything else. Doesn't massively increase power but does sharpen throttle response a fair bit.

T5SLAVE
Saturday 15th April 2006, 12:50
By the way chaps n chapesses what boost does a T5 on a 95 N plate run as standard?
Soz for digressing on the thread...