PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Creaky Grinding Noise From Front End

Guilo2k4
Friday 14th April 2006, 18:30
Hello to all the Guru's and members .

Once again the bloody T5 is acting itself.

Whilst driving home tonight there was a creaking / squeaking and what seemed a grinding noise coming from the drivers side.

At first i thought the shocker but when pushing down on both side all you can hear is the gas noise from the shocker.

It is not always present but comes on turning corners and driving straight.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Kev

Baj
Friday 14th April 2006, 18:41
Is it rythmical ie. regular bdum bdum? Speeds up and slows down as the car does?

neevo
Friday 14th April 2006, 19:07
I get a grinding noise that sounds as if it is metal-on-metal when I turn corners. Used to be in both directions but now only on LH turns. It is really noticable with the windows down, so I keep them up!Got my mechanic to check it out and he reported that it was the power steering pump. When I asked if it was an urgent repair he said not to worry and to wait until the pump fails. He added that just replacing the power steering fluid can fix the problem. Occasionally it seems to grind driving forward but it's not that loud.

Also the noise gets a lot louder the faster you take the turn and is silent at slow speeds such as when parking.

I've bought a replacement pump from a salvagers (didnt know about salvos at the time) and that only cost me £45 so I just have the labour costs to worry about as and when.

Adge
Friday 14th April 2006, 23:13
Had the same on my recently purchased C70 T5. It was the mounting plate at top of shock absorber. Approx £70 plus from Volvo dealer plus fitting at ATS. Noise gone!

gazjacko
Friday 14th April 2006, 23:38
My first suspicion would be the top mounts too. The trouble is that you may not find any 'play' in it if you jack it up as the weight of the suspension will pull down on the mount and mask the movement. I found mine by getting a mate to drive slowly over a kerb with the bonnet up whist I watched for movement.
Good luck!

Guilo2k4
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:29
Hi thanks for all replies.

Brother in law got under car last night and he said it sounds like the creaking and squeaks seem to be coming from around wishbone bushes.

Anyone think different as this morning it dont seem to be there but off out this afternoon so i will know better later.

cheers

Adge
Saturday 15th April 2006, 10:42
Located my noise by spray- lubricating each bush in turn. Process of elimination but it worked for me!
H.

Niles
Saturday 15th April 2006, 13:11
kind of similar prob i had last week, cant say this'll fix it but.......halfords sell 'slick 50 power steering fluid', popped some in my car & now is quiet again. mite work, cant do any harm for £5.99 eh?

neevo
Saturday 15th April 2006, 14:05
kind of similar prob i had last week, cant say this'll fix it but.......halfords sell 'slick 50 power steering fluid', popped some in my car & now is quiet again. mite work, cant do any harm for £5.99 eh?

Didnt realise slick50 did that stuff, thanks for the info. Will look into a fluid swap after my Easter trip south. Ta