PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs - worth while?

sizzlechest
Thursday 17th March 2005, 20:39
Hi,
If I lower my S70 using a lowering spring kit do I have to use uprated shocks or will the original setup cope? I 'm just trying to do it on the cheap that's all :wave23d:

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 17th March 2005, 20:41
no i'm sure the lowest drop (with-out using coil overs) is 40mm so standard shocks will be fine

sizzlechest
Thursday 17th March 2005, 20:47
That's what I needed to know, thanks :biggrin:

the underlord
Thursday 17th March 2005, 20:54
you really should use an aftermarket shock with any type of lowering spring.

Don't be ghetto... do the whole job right once. :thumbup:

sizzlechest
Thursday 17th March 2005, 21:03
If you want to help pay for it you're more than welcome!!
:B_thumb:

the underlord
Thursday 17th March 2005, 22:35
If you want to help pay for it you're more than welcome!!
:B_thumb:

I'll see what I can do.. :D

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th March 2005, 00:45
My lowering springs (from the 850R) are for sale.

sizzlechest
Friday 18th March 2005, 06:37
Would they fit the S70?

nikgallagher
Friday 18th March 2005, 10:28
I've been considering chopping my original springs down (spring rate increases with shortened length I think), but seems like a lot of dismantling, realligning etc just to put the old hardware back on again. Ideally I would replace everything as it's all stipped down, but full spring / damper / rubber bits / anti-roll bars / nuts & bolts replacement starts getting rather pricey. The £0 option is more and more tempting every day...

Murphy
Friday 18th March 2005, 10:46
I've been considering chopping my original springs down (spring rate increases with shortened length I think), but seems like a lot of dismantling, realligning etc just to put the old hardware back on again. Ideally I would replace everything as it's all stipped down, but full spring / damper / rubber bits / anti-roll bars / nuts & bolts replacement starts getting rather pricey. The £0 option is more and more tempting every day...

This is very dangourous and illigal. It is an MOT failure, and thus not safe for the road. Please do not do this. The ride will be terrible as well. I know a chap who bought and ran his cars on a shoe string and ended up binning his Nova SR that had 50% chopped off his front springs and no rear springs. Was not a nice ride at all and handled like poo !

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th March 2005, 11:15
I forgot about the self leveling issue. Yes the R lowering springs would fit the *70 cars but unless you have self leveling shocks the ride would be too low at the back. Sorry!

:wallbash:

The front springs would still work - but as springs usually come as a set of 4 I would not want to split them up.

nikgallagher
Friday 18th March 2005, 11:51
This is very dangourous and illigal. It is an MOT failure, and thus not safe for the road. Please do not do this. The ride will be terrible as well.

Point taken. Why would it be dangerous though? If properly cut and shaped they would have the same strength as previously wouldn't they? On a slightly similar note, most lowering springs I have seen for 850 only drop by a max of 40mm. Is that the limit for these cars cos of wheel arch geometry and/or damper travel?

sizzlechest
Friday 18th March 2005, 16:49
I've just been quoted £170 all-in for a local independent Volvo servicer to fit a lowering kit (I buy the springs, of course). That seem fairly reasonable to me. :smile:

Pedro Fandango
Friday 18th March 2005, 17:46
I've just been quoted £170 all-in for a local independent Volvo servicer to fit a lowering kit (I buy the springs, of course). That seem fairly reasonable to me. :smile:
how much you paying for your springs & what make? (if you don't mind me being a nosey git)

sizzlechest
Friday 18th March 2005, 21:39
Of course you can! I'm looking at PI springs from carnoisseur.com, and they're retailing at £161 inc. VAT and delivery. I can can get cheaper springs (JR Springs) for about £20-30 quid less, but I 've heard good reports on PI springs.

Pedro Fandango
Friday 18th March 2005, 22:42
yeh my bro has brought several PI kits in the past & has always been impressed, normally one of the lowest drops aswell (40mm drop is it?)

sizzlechest
Saturday 19th March 2005, 08:18
You're right, Pedro, 40mm drop it is.