PDA

View Full Version : Query/Advice re Brakes Upgrades for T5-R

SteveD
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 20:31
Hi - I'm new here, so apologies if I've posted this to the wrong bit of the Forum. (feel free to move me...)

I'm after some advice or guidance from other members re a proposed brakes upgrade for my 854 T5-R. It's on an M plate and is the Tom Wilkinshaw Racing model (which I'm not sure makes much difference to the query, but thought I'd be as thorough as possible!). I've only had it a few months and got to say I love the car to bits - it's great fun surprising unsuspecting Impreza drivers, and the look on their faces as you whip past having just humiliated them is priceless! (not that I'd do such a thing of course. Cough cough)

Anyway - my query. I'm planning on doing a few track days this Spring and ultimately making a trip to the Nurburgring in late Summer (if you've not been go for a long weekend - it's amazing) and am looking to use the T5R. I'm after suggestions for upgrades to the brakes, as I've found when braking down from (excessive) speeds the fluids tend to cook, and that's something I like to avoid on the track! Considering new discs and pads, and, if advised, some uprated fluids. Due to costs I'd rather not start replacing calipers and was wondering if any members would be able to advise on the simplest, most cost efficient options (including, if possible, makers and suppliers/distributers - I'm in Sheffield but also from Middlesbrough area and return regularly).

The car is my daily driver so I am keen to avoid anything too excessive that makes things difficult day to day.

So there we are - don't ask much do I??? Any guidance/views would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 20:33
What size alloys do you have on?

x

SteveD
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 20:43
Set of after market 17inch (not sure of width - will have to check spec).

Matt30462
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:10
As a fellow T-5R er, I would like to say Hello. I to suffer from boiling brake fluid on a "hard" drive. I have been meaning to replace the fluid with DOT 5 which has a much higher boiling point (apparently). I ripped off the old Volvo discs a while ago and replaced everything with Black Diamond Combi's with Black Diamond Fast Road pads alround. It looks much smarter and initially stopped like it hit a wall (hoping not to tempt fate). However it may be familiarity but they don't seem as good as they were. Talk on the forum was always Brembo discs with EBC pads I think, however I am sure someone will confirm or put me right very soon.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:18
DOT 5.1 you will need, DOT 5 is incompatible. EBC pads are crap for our cars. Most on the forum will recommend Ferodo DS pads.

Matt30462
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:23
DOT 5.1 you will need, DOT 5 is incompatible. EBC pads are crap for our cars. Most on the forum will recommend Ferodo DS pads.

Told ya! New someone would be on in seconds telling me I'm wrong. I fully expect there to be some good sound advise to come, so keep watching.

Whilst we are on a learning curve and at the risk of pirating your post, why is DOT 5 incompatible? Whats wrong with it?

dicky b t5
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:28
I think alot of peeps on here would say....

Brembo Discs & Ferodo DS2500 Pads for every day use with some Blatting thrown in now & again....Not to sure about on the Track though..! :B_steerin

BlackBeast
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:31
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7389&highlight=dot+5

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8488&highlight=dot+5

nobananas
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:39
Trouble is them there Ferrodo pads ain't half dear !

Matt30462
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:40
Thanks BB, I missed that thread. Very interesting, before now, I would have just gone into a Motorfactors and bought whatever was on offer, then chucked some in the reservoir. I'm gonna get some 5.1. Anyone want to help a pleb change his fluid?

Tomcat
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 22:23
I know I dont drive like I stole it all the time, but I've found that normal 302 discs with police spec pads have been fine upto now....

SteveD
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 10:06
Thanks for the input so far guys. It's good to hear advice as otherwise I'd just end up buying rubbish! Should maybe have mentioned - for the track I will be swapping the 17inch wheels for a set of regular T5 16inch Columbas (cheaper for the tyres!) although doubt it makes much difference.

Cheers,
Steve

NugentS
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 10:21
If you fit columbas then you can't use 302mm discs behind them

Sean

wright_t5
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 13:05
Surely you have to change the calipers too when changing the diasc sizes??

and that leads to the caliper plates too... or have I missed something?

As a matter of interest, are the T5 front brakes different to T5-R in standard trim??

BlackBeast
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 15:52
Surely you have to change the calipers too when changing the diasc sizes??

and that leads to the caliper plates too... or have I missed something?

As a matter of interest, are the T5 front brakes different to T5-R in standard trim??

If you wanted to swap from 280mm discs to the larger 302mm discs, then you have to change the caliper carriers and obviously the discs, everything else remains the same.

IIRC, an 850 T5 and T5-R will both have 280mm discs.

gazjacko
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 21:54
you should change the hoses as well if going to 302mm discs. believe me the feel is much better with the set up I have but I can't say if it's due to the discs the pads the fluid (dot 5.1) or the braided hose as I did it all in one go.

wright_t5
Thursday 13th April 2006, 13:37
So is it only the carriers that need changing? can you use the same Calipers for 280 and 302mm discs?

How available are these?? second hand? New? what's the opinion out there...

:B_steerin

BigJC
Thursday 13th April 2006, 17:30
Use the same calipers and buy new carriers, if you contact Mark at Salvo and say you're from here you get a discount. Contact Justin for the discount code.
The carriers are cheap but Volvo dealers tend to add a surcharge which you can't redeem as your old carriers are obviously different. I got mine from salvo and 2 x discs, police spec pads and carriers came to £227 delivered to my door in Volvo boxes which I though was reasonable.

However, Marshalls do brakes at a 35% discount i think so ring Wayne or Ollie and see what they can do!

wright_t5
Sunday 16th April 2006, 21:13
You got any telephone numbers for these guys, I defo need bigger brakes, although if you look at the picture, I need some decent suspension too... haha

[URL=http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2006/mallory140406/index8.html]

av a look at 143 and 144 Sweet... talk about one in a crowd!!!